Official K-81 DJ thread
Feb 20, 2006 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,661

BigD

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I've recently come across these new offerings from AKG. As I mentioned before, I really can't stand the canalphones. Therefore, I decided to look into MDR-V6, HD201/205, HD280, MDR-XD400, DT250, K81/181.

Obviously not much info on these K81/181DJ as they're fresh for 2006. Even the findings of these headphones are not readily available, unless you check out our proud sponsors like TTVJ, Headroom. Supposely they're suppose to be the bigger siblings of K26/27.

Anyway, I see there has been some curiosity building toward these unknown objects. I fully intend to explore them on their virtues of comfort, sound, value, build quality, packaging, portability, etc.

Anyone else who like to share their opinion and findings on these cans, please be sure to post it here so the members will easily find the article on the latest supraural closed cans from AKG. Thanks.

I should be getting the K81 from Todd soon. I make sure to post some pix and comments soon.

Feb 20, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 2,661
I had a quick listen the other day, and it sounds quite nice, actually. A little hard to say without anything to compare it with.
Fairly dark, but good bass.

The K81 DJ will squeeze your ears, but I guess that's the price you have to pay for good isolation in a small package.
The build quality seemed fine. Quite solid.

As a closed, portable phone, this might be a really good one.

Feb 20, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 2,661
JensL, were you also able to hear the AKG K181? I'm really interested in those.

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by JensL
No, not yet. I'm also a little curious about those.

JensL, if you could get your hands on either K81 and/or K181 would be a great help.

Threre're really not many attractive closed headphones under $100. Specially portable at that. Most would surpass $150 mark easily making them slightly under $200.

That's why the K81 slides nicely along K26, K27, K240(semi-open/closed) in price point. Even compared to other brands, the offering is MDR-V6 and MDR-66SL at its best.

To me, the K181 seems quite interesting as well which would challenge DT250 and HD25-1 in that price range.

Feb 24, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 2,661
Eagle has landed...
akg1.jpg

The blister packaging is simple and easy to open due to fold-in enclosure. It's not fancy, but it does the job.
akg2.jpg

Very very sturdy...well-build quality and cooool rubber paint finish on all plastic surfaces. It's a nice matte touch with shiny metal stainless steel headband integrated. NICE TOUCH aesthetically!
akg3.jpg

Simple and pretty pleather headphone casing with pull straps on each side. The folding and turning mechanism seems very solid with tight tolerance. The cups are very compact and the earcushions are pleather which are definately supraural. Not close to circumaural at all.

Sorry guys, but gotta go. I'll add some mo' fotos lata.

Feb 24, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 2,661
Verra nice!

I'm currently trying to decide between the K81 and the K26p.... the only thing that I think is unfortunate about the K81 is the long cord. Headphone.com states that: "A cord slider is included to snug up the cable". When you have a moment, could you snap a pic or explain how this slider works?

Oh yeah, and do let us know how they sound as well
biggrin.gif

edit: I'm assuming the cord slider is just to snug up the cable where it splits for the left and right can.... which means I'm either going to have to bundle up 2m of cable, get the cord shortened (bad idea?), or just get the k26's....

Feb 24, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
JensL, if you could get your hands on either K81 and/or K181 would be a great help.

Threre're really not many attractive closed headphones under $100. Specially portable at that. Most would surpass $150 mark easily making them slightly under $200.

That's why the K81 slides nicely along K26, K27, K240(semi-open/closed) in price point. Even compared to other brands, the offering is MDR-V6 and MDR-66SL at its best.

To me, the K181 seems quite interesting as well which would challenge DT250 and HD25-1 in that price range.

The AKG K181DJ looks like an improved AKG 240S.It looks like lini is going to have a new groovalizer to play with.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #10 of 2,661
Quote:

Sorry guys, but gotta go. I'll add some mo' fotos lata.

Tease!
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #11 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by okay_player
Verra nice!

I'm currently trying to decide between the K81 and the K26p.... the only thing that I think is unfortunate about the K81 is the long cord. Headphone.com states that: "A cord slider is included to snug up the cable". When you have a moment, could you snap a pic or explain how this slider works?

Oh yeah, and do let us know how they sound as well
biggrin.gif

edit: I'm assuming the cord slider is just to snug up the cable where it splits for the left and right can.... which means I'm either going to have to bundle up 2m of cable, get the cord shortened (bad idea?), or just get the k26's....

I haven't heard k26/27, but k81 is looking promising at this moment. The sound signature is very aggresive and its forward presentation makes it very entertaining.

The slider sits above the Y cable split, therefore it only adjusts the right and left driver cord tightness, not the length of the cord. It's always better to have them longer and use thick rubber band to strap them together.

Feb 24, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #12 of 2,661
It sounds like the K 81 DJ is an improvement upon the K26P, which I couldn't really stand due to the insanely boomy bass and the headband mechanism. The only thing I'm interested right now is the earcup sizes. The K26P's earcups were way too small for me, so they pressed mostly on the inner cartiliges of my ear, which hurt like a *****

If someone who has both the K26P and the K81DJ can post some pics with side by side comparison, I would really appreciate it.

Feb 24, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #13 of 2,661
I can't take fotos of K26/81 for size comparison, but the ear-cushion diameter measures at 2.75" or 67mm. The donuts are about exact my ear size so it sits pretty comfortably.

Please note I recognize some clamping force in the headband. But it's improving over time as I'm stretching them out.
Also the rotating pivot between the headband and cup is so tight, not a bad thing at all, it makes squeeky sound when you move your head.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay
The AKG K181DJ looks like an improved AKG 240S.It looks like lini is going to have a new groovalizer to play with.

I can't imagine how the K181 would sound like when the K81 is very engaging, but I do detech some bass boom during my listening session, "The Mirror conspiracy" by Thievery Corporation. The lower echo was eating into the mid-range at certain times.

These AKGs have very forward presention. They're somewhat similar to Grado SR60 if I have to pick something in its character. Certainly not missing any bass at all, bass-present. However, mind you the airiness is missing due to its close back, but the soundstage is acceptable for headphone and cups this big or should I say this small.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #15 of 2,661
evil_smiley.gif
As it happens, got one coming tomorrow (or Monday latest).

Will be doing a shoot-out review between them and the Senn PX200 plus the Audio-Technica ES5 (another relatively unknown phone 'round here).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back