Official K-81 DJ thread
Feb 24, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #16 of 2,661
Interesting headphone, interesting thread.

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #17 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
evil_smiley.gif
As it happens, got one coming tomorrow (or Monday latest).

Will be doing a shoot-out review between them and the Senn PX200 plus the Audio-Technica ES5 (another relatively unknown phone 'round here).

markl, please leave some impressions here as well.

Hands down better than PX100/200 I had. If I remember correctly, the PX had some roll off in the high with the recessed vocal.
The ATH-ES5 should be an interesting mix in the match.

No way senn has crispier highs and punchier bass than these AKGs. I think my gamble paid off handsomely in this price range.

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #18 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
markl, please leave some impressions here as well.

Hands down better than PX100/200 I had. If I remember correctly, the PX had some roll off in the high with the recessed vocal.

Just FIY, the latest PX100 with improved voice coils has no more the slight "distance" in vocals, nor upper treble roll off. And timbre is warmer, upper midrange more smooth, detail a little better, and bass-midbass more neutral.

Feb 25, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #19 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Just FIY, the latest PX100 with improved voice coils has no more the slight "distance" in vocals, nor upper treble roll off. And timbre is warmer, upper midrange more smooth, detail a little better, and bass-midbass more neutral.

I wasn't aware of the new changes in the latest edition of Senn PX series. About 3 years ago I had PX100/200...I'm sure it's still little laid-back and slightly warm.

The K81 DJ are the fastest fon I've heard to date. Its center imaging is very good, doesn't feel hollow at all. However the mid-range seems colored for sure. Not the most neutral and natural fon on the market. These DJ fons are definately a GROOVALIZER. Extremely energetic and spicy!

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #21 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by zChan
Its not the K81DJ, but I finally got around to visiting my local post office, which the K181DJ was waiting to be picked up.
Its being burned in right now.

Any glimpse? The phenomenon is growing. Please post some impressions here.

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #23 of 2,661
Gah! My K81DJ's weren't in today's mail. Curse you "2-Day" Priority Mail!
tongue.gif

zChan, can you measure the diameter of the enclosures of the K181? I hope the K81 aren't that big!
basshead.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #24 of 2,661
Quote:

zChan, can you measure the diameter of the enclosures of the K181? I hope the K81 aren't that big!
basshead.gif

The Enclosures are 9.5cm wide, 3.5-4cm in depth, of which 1cm are padding.

For perspective:
HD25-1: Enclosure: 7cm wide, 3-4cm in depth, of which 1cm are padding.
ES7: Enclosure: 7.3cm wide, 2.6cm in depth, of which 1cm are padding.

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #25 of 2,661
Sometimes I would appreciate a stereo/mono switch on my IEM's because sometimes I want to take one side off to be aware of the world around me (PtH isn't out yet), but on headphones where you have pretty much wear both sides at once, I guess there most be some other purpose.

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #26 of 2,661
Bumping this thread. I'd like to know if anyone has a pair of these. The ones pictured above look different than the ones offered in the US (doesn't have the switches, etc). Anyone commen on these?

0020120081_1482.jpg

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #27 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by BodiesOfLight
Bumping this thread. I'd like to know if anyone has a pair of these. The ones pictured above look different than the ones offered in the US (doesn't have the switches, etc). Anyone commen on these?

0020120081_1482.jpg

the ones posted above are the 181 those are the 81

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #28 of 2,661
Quote:

Gah! My K81DJ's weren't in today's mail. Curse you "2-Day" Priority Mail!
tongue.gif

basshead.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
I can't take fotos of K26/81 for size comparison, but the ear-cushion diameter measures at 2.75" or 67mm.

No they're not BIG at all. Very compact indeed.
akg8.jpg

Only gripe I have is the thickness of the cord...Likely could use an upgrade for the cable.
akg9.jpg

akg7.jpg

Very interesting folding mechanism. This is the way it should be folded-in for the carrying bag. I had to figure this one out without breaking the hinges.
akg6.jpg

akg4.jpg

Very sexy shiny stainless steel band revealing around the matte finish rubber coated headband. The fit and finish of the K81 is exemplary. Very up there with Sony and Senn headphones in terms of build quality and finish.
akg5.jpg

Must say the numeral adjusting indicator is also a nice touch. On the cup hinges, there are also Right and Left sides marked. Very thoughtful location!

Feb 26, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #30 of 2,661
I'm very interested in purchasing these. I just got a new iPod, and I absolutely hate those iconic white earbuds. I listen to mostly punk/alternative/some hip-hop/occasional classical. I definitely like bass, but don't want it to be overwhelming or muddy. Will these fit my preferences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back