Official K-81 DJ thread
Feb 26, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #31 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMBrown
I'm very interested in purchasing these. I just got a new iPod, and I absolutely hate those iconic white earbuds. I listen to mostly punk/alternative/some hip-hop/occasional classical. I definitely like bass, but don't want it to be overwhelming or muddy. Will these fit my preferences?

I'm still on 15th hour of burn-in. Really didn't want to jump into a verdict. So far so good. Mostly I listened to rock, jazz and lounge music. I've tried from hard rock to alternative. Again these AKGs exhibit similar personality like Grado SR60 in terms of sonical presentation. However, SR60 still has an edge when it comes to reproducing the electric guitar and tight drum. One thing going for K81 is its energy and pace for sure.

At certain times during hip hop/rap session, the K81 showed its flaws to over reproduce bass thus resulting some bass boom and bloat. Relief at this point is there's no sign of high roll-offs and instructment separation is very good for headphone this compact. I was somewhat disillusioned when timbre was way too colored for my liking as well as the lack of decay.

Today I'll focus on jazz and lounge. Hopefully some shortings could be minimized by burn-in. I'm expecting about 100 hour burn-in for the true sound to reveal. I think we got a winner on our hands.

These headphones provide so so isolation and little bit of sound leakage. Better than open cans in that regard, but no way near closed circumaural cans.

Feb 26, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #32 of 2,661
BigD, thank you for the insight, I'm currently looking for a decent pair of closed headphones (just created a thread about it if anyone has any recommendations), and as of now, I am favoring these. Do you have any pics of them on your head so I can get a better feel of how small/large they are?

Feb 26, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #33 of 2,661
Quote:

BigD, thank you for the insight, I'm currently looking for a decent pair of closed headphones (just created a thread about it if anyone has any recommendations), and as of now, I am favoring these. Do you have any pics of them on your head so I can get a better feel of how small/large they are?

Dimensions are very close to the Sony MDR-V150/250/300. The AKGs are surely portable no doubt about that. No fotos of figurine.

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #35 of 2,661
K81DJ arrived. They are quite big to me, I'm more used to PX200 sized cans. I'm afraid of looking kinda dorky out running or working out with these.
tongue.gif
Not sure if they're just too big.

Build quality is really great. These things are (or appear to be, time will tell) built to last! Fit is excellent, they have a great seal and block quite a bit more sound than PX200 or the ES5. They are a bit snug, but I like that about them, and they need to be firmly in place because they'll be work-out cans for me.

That's probably all I'll say until I do my write-up of the 3 headphones (PX200, ES5, K81DJ).
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #37 of 2,661
I had to call all over to get them, I finally got them from Todd the Vinyl Junkie, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's sold out there too now. Every place on the web say they have them in stock-- don't believe them. Call and ask them, they all are special order from AKG, 2-4 weeks.

One major design flaw I discovered is that the cord is not made for portable devices, it's about 2.5 feet too long. I have no idea what in the world AKG were thinking, although I suppose they assumed they were making a DJ club headphone, not another portable can, I'm probably not using it for its intended purpose. I had to stuff the extra wire into my pocket, so be advised if it flies free, you'll be tripping over it.

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #38 of 2,661
Quote:

I think I'm going to order these, where have you guys been purchasing from? Headroom says 204 wks but I definitely need them here in about 12 days.

if you're in canada, check out axemusic.com. i just ordered a pair last night and they shipped today via purolator, which means i should have them by the end of the week at the very latest.

they don't ship internationally, however.

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #40 of 2,661
From what I've heard so far the K81DJ might be a good candidate for an amp. They don't play as loud as some other cans at same volume and seem to suck the juice faster from my iPod. I suspect they are somewhat power hungry relative to some other smaller more typical portable cans.

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #41 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
From what I've heard so far the K81DJ might be a good candidate for an amp. They don't play as loud as some other cans at same volume and seem to suck the juice faster from my iPod. I suspect they are somewhat power hungry relative to some other smaller more typical portable cans.

The power hunger has improved about 15-20% due to burn-in. Right now I have about 36+ hours break-in. Yes they demand more than px100 or smaller driver headphones.

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #42 of 2,661
I bought these and have decided to upgrade. They definitely fall under their DJ namesake. I found the bass was too much on electonica/techno, but was nice for most other genres. The highs/mids were a tad recessed. They were very clear though, but they just couldn't punch through the bass curtain. These would make a decent portable can, especially for
basshead.gif
. I think the average user should look elsewhere however.

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #43 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by lunaticpuma
I bought these and have decided to upgrade. They definitely fall under their DJ namesake. I found the bass was too much on electonica/techno, but was nice for most other genres. The highs/mids were a tad recessed. They were very clear though, but they just couldn't punch through the bass curtain. These would make a decent portable can, especially for
basshead.gif
. I think the average user should look elsewhere however.

That was one of the fastest upgrade I've seen...Yes it depends on the recording too for heavy bass. Poorly recorded heavy bass will exagerate the situation of bass boom and bloated bass.

For mostly rock, the bass guitar has nice weight on them. Give alittle more time for burn-in. Although the cans are getting more warmer it's also clearing out the bass curtain.

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #44 of 2,661
I've had the K81 for a few weeks now, and I'm pretty pleased with them overall. The bass can get a bit overbearing at times (with some recordings and usually at very high volumes). The mids are somewhat recessed, and it loses some of the finer details, but for a closed can at this price, you have to trade off. The highs are fairly pleasing, too.

My only gripe would be the cord length. I need to bundle up the excess for portable use, which isn't too big of an issue, really.

BTW, does anyone know if the cup size of the K81 is the same as the Senn HD25? Would love to slap some HD25 velour pads on the 81 for added comfort. Anyone know if the pads would fit?

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #45 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Just FIY, the latest PX100 with improved voice coils has no more the slight "distance" in vocals, nor upper treble roll off. And timbre is warmer, upper midrange more smooth, detail a little better, and bass-midbass more neutral.

andrea
who carries the newer px100 and how can you tell it is the one with the newer drivers, from the packaging?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back