Official K-81 DJ thread
Sep 25, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #2,536 of 2,661
Been a proud owner of K81DJ's since ... Feb or March 08

Sep 25, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #2,537 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minarets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1154020793-16115.jpg

did these ever make it to the US? anyone know where to get them?

Lime green with the K518... it might actually look cool
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been wondering whether to try K171 pads for the K81, but I think they might be too wide. They look thicker and more padded so I guess there is some possibility they isolate a bit better, but I'm not sure I can be bothered to buy them just to find out. I'm still considering replacing my K81 anyway.

Sep 25, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #2,538 of 2,661
Still rockin' the pair I won in the raffle from the first National Head-fi Meet. Great pair of portable cans, I still feel no need to get anything else!

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #2,540 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ne12o /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey... do these phones make you look like an emo?

No. Eyeliner and bad music make you look like an emo.

Sep 28, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #2,541 of 2,661
Bought these phones about 2 months ago, as an impulse 'need some cans for work' kind of way (Planet Gizmo £34 delivered)

I'm very impressed and pleased with the sq of these little beasts, and until I get my home phones (thinking K601s) they follow me home as well.

Musical, connect you with the music, keep the world out, and you dont bother the world with your music. What more do you want from a cheap pair of 'phones?

Sep 28, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #2,542 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ne12o /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey... do these phones make you look like an emo?

Skullcandy makes you look like an emo.

This is the third time I bought the AKG K81DJ!
They're just unbeatable for portability and isolation. I modded a iPhone cable on them for the ultimate isolating headphones and they ROCK!

Sep 28, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #2,543 of 2,661
LOL i don't really think headphones can make you look emo with the exception of bulllet crusted Skullcandy's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #2,545 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bought these phones about 2 months ago, as an impulse 'need some cans for work' kind of way (Planet Gizmo £34 delivered)

I'm very impressed and pleased with the sq of these little beasts, and until I get my home phones (thinking K601s) they follow me home as well.

Musical, connect you with the music, keep the world out, and you dont bother the world with your music. What more do you want from a cheap pair of 'phones?

hahahaha! same here and im still lovin it! now im on the verge on getting AKG's higher end model....like what my sig says: CURSE YOU HEADFI!!!! from a simple yet quality headphone just for work turned in an addiciton.

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #2,546 of 2,661
I sold all my dynamic cans and amps, except the k81dj. I listen to it every night. I listen to a $1k Stax setup every day, and I'm never too terribly disappointed when the time comes to leave the office and lay in bed with my AKGs.

After a few hundred hours the bass settled down (or my brain settled down) and the comfort level is just fine now.

There are certainly better closed headphones, and perhaps even better closed headphones for the money, for for my money I would buy the K81s again.

I guess that makes me the founding member of team "Sold it all but the K81".

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #2,547 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey I just got a k518 and was reading around this thread, Im currently trying to break in mine. What's a good volume to leave it playing and what type of songs?

I let mine break in while I was listening to them, and that worked just fine. Leave them at a loud-comfortable volume, pl=referably playing something with some impactful bass. The purpose of break-in is to stabilize the rubber surrounds on the driver, and the more they move the faster they reach equilibrium

Quote:

I also checked some of the SPC recabling, whats a good place to pick one out? I heard I can pick one up for like $10. I like the current connector because it has some sort of this groove ( the flat ones doesn't fit the case for my player, I have an interconnect for my mint and can't use it unless I dremel the case for my iphone ) Is there something similar I can use for my recabling?

Yeah, you can use the current connector. Open it up and desolder it, then solder your new cable onto the same contacts. You can repair the housing, or better yet cover it with heatshrink. Otherwise, your best bet is to go with the smallest available minijack, the neutrik. Since you're in Canada, I'd order through take five audio. You can UP-OCC copper from there too (it's under the brand name neotech).

Quote:

And the hd25 velour pad upgrade, where's a cheap place to pick one up? when I google some it shows mostly UK and its 13-15 pounds or its like ~30 dollars plus shipping.

You're out of luck on cheap. Your best bet is to call Sennheiser Canada and ask them to directly ship you the part. There are no real deals to be had on sennheiser parts.

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #2,548 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sold all my dynamic cans and amps, except the k81dj. I listen to it every night. I listen to a $1k Stax setup every day, and I'm never too terribly disappointed when the time comes to leave the office and lay in bed with my AKGs.

After a few hundred hours the bass settled down (or my brain settled down) and the comfort level is just fine now.

There are certainly better closed headphones, and perhaps even better closed headphones for the money, for for my money I would buy the K81s again.

great, i loved mine too when i had it, it was what got me into headphones~ but i juz hated the physical discomfort from the clamping and 'short' headband

Oct 3, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #2,549 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ah, I just recently joined and was beginning to be scared that I'd have to spend a bunch of $$ until I'd be satisfied. At the moment, my only pair of closed headphones are the Sennheiser HD201 which I purchased last week. I'm a student and money is tight so I was looking at a decent pair of closed headphones to sit down a study with. The K81 really caught my eye, and I'm very close to ordering. If you could please elaborate about these other headphones that may be better for the money I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Oct 3, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #2,550 of 2,661
Well, prices vary, and what's in the same price range to me might not be to you, but if you're interested in closed 'phones in the same "general" price range, you'd also want to look for the Equation RP-21, the Audio Technica ATH-A700 and the Audio Techinica ATH-ES7. Those all cost more, however, especially if you can pick up the K81dj for 50 bucks.

At that price, nothing can touch it. For under $100 (used), any of the above stand a decent chance, especially if you don't like VERY pronounced bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back