Official K-81 DJ thread
Jul 24, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #2,521 of 2,661
Ok, I'm on about hour 90 now with the burn in.....another big difference. The highs have mellowed further and seem warmer. The mids are starting to come through more, but still not "there". Bass is less punchy too. I ordered the Sennheiser velour pads to try out too. Not sure if I will open up the headphones and do the blue-tak/felt mod. Not sure its worth it.

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #2,523 of 2,661
i've been a long time lurker here in head-fi.

this is also going to be my first post.

my second head-fi inspired purchase because of this thread.

it is really hard to look for high quality cans here in the philippines. most stores only sell bose. i was lucky enough to find a local retailer of akg and it is also a good thing that they have theakg k81 dj in stock.

thanks to the guys who provided feedback on this thread. really satisfied with my purchase.

Aug 7, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #2,524 of 2,661
@LXG_SELLER:

Would that be Audiophile? If so, which branch, and how much were the k81dj's? I've been pondering on getting them too...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #2,525 of 2,661
Yes, that would be audiophile. I got mine from SM mall of asia. 3800 pesos if I'm not mistaken. but they will give you a 3% discount on cash purchases.

I think they still have some in stock. They also have the AKG 518dj there for testing (in case you're interested with it). I think it sells for 3900 pesos.

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #2,526 of 2,661
Arghhh... talk about calamities with getting mine repaired. I lost a channel in mine and sent them to the local service centre (under warranty) and figured it was probably the plug that just needed reterminating... well, it fixed it for a bit but now where the cable goes into one of the cups is causing the same channel to come and go.

Considering I've given these to a friend as a gift, I will just get them fixed under warranty again rather than risking melting something with my sub-par soldering skillz
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #2,527 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by LXG_SELLER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that would be audiophile. I got mine from SM mall of asia. 3800 pesos if I'm not mistaken. but they will give you a 3% discount on cash purchases.

I think they still have some in stock. They also have the AKG 518dj there for testing (in case you're interested with it). I think it sells for 3900 pesos.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll probably drop by audiophile one of these days...good thing they have an open unit for testing. Since the k81 and k518 are essentially the same drivers-wise, i'll see if the all-black finish of the k518 is worth the extra money.
atsmile.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #2,530 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ne12o /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm planning on getting these phones... I'm wondering "how heavy" the bass is. Super heavy bass gives me headaches.

In my opinion, the K81DJ's bass does qualify as "super heavy."

Sep 21, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #2,532 of 2,661
I just took the plunge and got my very first pair of K518DJs.

First impressions :

-They look simply awesome in that black finish.
-They fit pretty nicely on my head, which is a 10 on AKG's scale of melon-size. ( Self-conscious : is my head really that big
atsmile.gif
)
- Sound is awesome. To me , they have sufficient clarity. Sure, mids are a little recessed but I'm listening without burn-in. Bass is TOTALLY awesome. Great depth and detail. I'm a bass player myself so bass is like the ONLY factor pushing me to headphones.

Glad to have found this thread full of like-minded bass-freaks like me.
L3000.gif

Sep 22, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #2,533 of 2,661
They're very bass-heavy and "stiff" and hitting, especially in stock configuration.

Contrary to what this thread might make one believe, the K-81/-518 are DJ headphones. They're quite barmy as sold, with additional foam inserted into the cushions. Removing the cushions (or even removing the foam) and replacing them with open doughnut cushions makes the sound cleaner, but still hard-hitting and stiff.

Beyerdynamic DT231, 232, Roland RH-50, Denon AH-D501 are all more refined and cleaner-sounding than the K-81 for roughly the same money. Denon AH-D1000/AHD1001 online prices have also dropped to ~$70-80 (and they're very worth the extra coin).

Sep 25, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #2,535 of 2,661
Hey I just got a k518 and was reading around this thread, Im currently trying to break in mine. What's a good volume to leave it playing and what type of songs?

I also checked some of the SPC recabling, whats a good place to pick one out? I heard I can pick one up for like $10. I like the current connector because it has some sort of this groove ( the flat ones doesn't fit the case for my player, I have an interconnect for my mint and can't use it unless I dremel the case for my iphone ) Is there something similar I can use for my recabling?

And the hd25 velour pad upgrade, where's a cheap place to pick one up? when I google some it shows mostly UK and its 13-15 pounds or its like ~30 dollars plus shipping.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back