Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 8, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #9,376 of 10,664
Have a look here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204217

Check the serial number of the back of your case, or as above see if you have the Music\Search option.

Though the serial number could be misleading if the ipod has been modified or refurbished! But I suppose if it isn't in working order to let you check the 'about' screen, that might be all you have to go on.

I think you can also judge from the firmware version number on the about screen (as well as the model number and the search function as previously mentioned).

Jan 8, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #9,377 of 10,664
How do those using rockbox organize their media on the ipod?

I was at one point trying to write a plug-in to replicate the little bar-chart the original firmware uses to show media storage use (in the 'about' screen). But the only way I could get it to do anything meaningful was to have it look at the top-level folders and calculate the size of each. So it would produce something like this (where I have separate folders for 'music' 'podcasts' 'audiobooks' etc). But it wouldn't produce anything useful for anyone who didn't organise their media by type in that way (e.g. if you had everything in one folder or where the top-level directory was 'artist'), so I wasn't sure if it was worth continuing with.
Is it common for people to organise their content in this way?
Image222.png

(Also, it takes a long time to count everything up and produce that graph, at least on high-capacity ipods, my next plan was to work out how to have it save it and only recalculate it if something changes, but never got round to it)

I keep wanting to try and add some small things to Rockbox but then keep losing the motivation!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #9,378 of 10,664
Nice. Do you have a source for the red front?
https://www.ebay.com/usr/mike_r_e?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

I bought it from this store, but it seems like he stopped selling them or ran out of stock. I remember reading in the item description that he just used car paint on it though. If it does come back on for sale on his store, it includes the back in the same color as well. I ended up using the same thick back I already had, since the one that I bought from this store only came in thin.

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #9,379 of 10,664
That's interesting/useful to hear. I saw something about that database tool but was put off by the fact it seemed to date from 10 years ago as Rockbox has changed a lot since then. I had a linux rockbox dev system set up (started writing a plug-in), but the hard drive failed on that machine. Frankly, setting up a rb dev environment strained my brain, and I haven't been able to face doing it all again yet. But I hope to get round to it at some point, so if you want to post any info about that tool it would be welcome.

Seems like the database structure hasn't changed and is the same across supported players, because the tool also works on Sansas. I basically followed https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/LinuxSimpleGuideToCompiling but instead of compiling a normal build (n) select (d) for databse tool and compile. Then launch terminal on the root of the palyer and execute the tool from there. Don't forget to reboot the player then.

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #9,380 of 10,664
Hello ThinWalls,

Simply because I haven't found a 'reliable brand' for micro sx cards equivalent to PNY for full size cards. Referring only to the case of >128gb plus rockbox. Again, I suspect it won't be a problem for smaller capacity cards.

Thanks for your answer. OK, understanding you correctly I should not get into trouble with 128GB micro sdxc cards.
That would be good for me. Because -at least for now- everything is working/running fine.
The PNY 512GB cards are only available in the USA, in Germany I might be lucky to get a 256GB for a almost decent price.

Greets,
Julia

Jan 11, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #9,381 of 10,664
Hi,

I give you some news: I successfully installed the SSD in each of Ipods and have restored them. Both Ipods are functioning normally, I could sync music and everything seems to work but here is a huge trouble: the battery is melting the same as snow in the sun.

The two battery I've bought are from this store on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1371wt_1397

They were supposed to be 900mAh (original batterys are normaly 580 ?) but I can't run the Ipod longer than 3 hours. The Ipod is showing 80% of battery and shutdown without warning. When I start it again, it's showing me the battery logo "battery is completely empty".

Although this post already three years old, I have the same problem with my iPod 5 (.5?) - I upgraded it with a 256gb mSata-Drive and now the battery hardly lasts 3 hours. Should I think about changing the mSata to a cf-module (e.g. this one: https://www.iflash.xyz/store/iflash-quad/ ). Any other ideas why the battery runtime is this low? (I already experienced the same problem with several replacement batteries I bough online - they all get hot. I don't know if they are all of inferiour quality or if something doesn't really work well with the combination of mSata and the iPod/batteries).

Thank you all very much in advance!

Jan 11, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #9,382 of 10,664
Although this post already three years old, I have the same problem with my iPod 5 (.5?) - I upgraded it with a 256gb mSata-Drive and now the battery hardly lasts 3 hours. Should I think about changing the mSata to a cf-module (e.g. this one: https://www.iflash.xyz/store/iflash-quad/ ). Any other ideas why the battery runtime is this low? (I already experienced the same problem with several replacement batteries I bough online - they all get hot. I don't know if they are all of inferiour quality or if something doesn't really work well with the combination of mSata and the iPod/batteries).

Thank you all very much in advance!

Well the mSata does consume more power than the stock hard drive. It also runs very hot, so the temperature issue might just be that and not the battery. While it's likely that you have a crap battery, it is also possible that one of your other parts is toasted and causing a short. My jack connector was faulty and discharged my iPod in a few hours, even with a 1900 mAh battery + iFlash Quad (which consumes much less than the hard drive). Swapping the jack connector restored 65h+ battery life :)

Jan 11, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #9,383 of 10,664
Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, this might be the problem because it's not exactly the area of the battery which gets hot, more or less the entire back of the iPod. I'll check for any shorts and maybe change to the iFlash Quad.

May I ask where did you get your 1900mAh battery from? It's often hard to find a trustworthy online shop which sells high quality iPod batteries.

Jan 12, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #9,385 of 10,664
x5z70m.jpg

I received the 3000 mah battery, but it came with the contact going to the wrong side of the battery, in the front instead of the back, as someone else's experienced already in this thread that probably bought the same exact battery. I know they can be flipped, as some of you have already done that, but i'm unsure if i might just be able to do it myself, as i'm not practical in electricity and i'm unsure what is the right thing to do. Can someone explain me REALLY REALLY CLEAR how to do it? Take notice that i'm Italian, so don't speak so technical to me.

Or should i ask some expert to do it for me?

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #9,386 of 10,664
x5z70m.jpg

I received the 3000 mah battery, but it came with the contact going to the wrong side of the battery, in the front instead of the back, as someone else's experienced already in this thread that probably bought the same exact battery. I know they can be flipped, as some of you have already done that, but i'm unsure if i might just be able to do it myself, as i'm not practical in electricity and i'm unsure what is the right thing to do. Can someone explain me REALLY REALLY CLEAR how to do it? Take notice that i'm Italian, so don't speak so technical to me.

Or should i ask some expert to do it for me?
remove the battery, untape the yellow tape, flip the connection ribbon to the other side re-tape it, flip the battery, i think you can connect it now.

Jan 14, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #9,389 of 10,664
Isn't there anything i need to know? Is it that much simple? I can do it myself too, then? How is the ribbon cable connected to the battery?

There might (should) be a little circuit board where the battery cable is attached to the battery, just be gentle and re-tape the yellow (kapton) tape to make sure nothing gets shorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back