Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Mar 25, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #1,951 of 6,464
I'm considering a silvergarde s cable over draug2 for my hd800's

I have the wa2 with various tubes and a Metrum hex dac that has a great natural sound.

My setup is not overly tubey but I would describe it as havinging a good - very good level of detail and naturalness.
Tube combos I have offer set ups that have very high detail that can sometimes be a little too bright on that hd800 treble peak to more punchy meatier setups and some nice combos in between. So my highest detail tube set up can be toned back a touch by rolling in the driver tubes that offer a slightly rolled off higher end.

I'm thinking the silvergarde s will give me extra detail and extended highs and lows and I can use my tubes to tweak my sound from there.

Any experienced views on my thinking? Wondering what the difference between the draug2 and silvergarde might be on the mids and bottom end. I'm thinking the silvergarde will have extended and more detailed bottom end and the draug will be a bit more meaty

I think Trevor sees it working potentially OK either way

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #1,952 of 6,464

I have used the Zoetic cable and the Draug2 on a pair of HD800's. The Draug2 is significantly better matched for the HD800. The Zoetic is much better for the Hifiman HE560 imho. Draug2 really just sounds great with the HD800. No denying that.  It is pretty expensive but worth it. Too bad you need such a long run for that cable, it does get pretty expensive @9ft.

I have the same question for my ENIGMAcoustics Dharma1000. It's a difficult decision on two fronts:

1. I've never ordered an after market before and my principle reason is to go from single ended to balanced due to the hub of my system, the Nuprime DAC-10H which is a DAC/preamp and balanced HP amp that I use with both speakers and Headphones. Now, I've got the HP that warrants a better cable accessing the balanced HP out.
2. The Dharma is relatively new and there's not much precedent/history of impressions relative to cables to go on.

the Dharma is sometimes compared to the HD800. It's neutral IMO rather than bright, but the mids feel pushed forward slightly. Clear strengths are the electrostatic component of the hybrid driver-inner detail and transparency in the mids/trebles is terrific. Soundstage is strong.

The sub base extension in the week point. Mid bass, tight, balanced and plentiful. But, there is some roll off in the lower regions/extension.

I'd love to tighten/enhance the bass which is fine for most genres but does roll off-lacking in genres like EDM, doom metal and hip-hop, and I'd like to smooth out the mids just a little without loosing detail retrieval.

My hunch is to go with the Draug2, but I would clearly save some $ with the Zoetic.

Any thoughts?

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #1,953 of 6,464
I'm just here to put in a good word for Trevor because that man deserves it.

Was on the market searching for balanced cables for my K10s + a newly acquired Onkyo DP X1 and came across Trevor's cables (no thanks to Head-fi!) and some friends. Dropped Trevor a PM and an e-mail regarding some questions about the Therium series and the lead-time. Long story short, I was very impressed by the level of personalised service and the prompt response from Trevor despite him being so busy over the long list of orders (another sign of a great product!). Just processed my order tonight and suffice to say that I'm a happy customer even before receiving the cable!

Will see if I'll have the time to do a short comparison between the TWag V2 that I'm coming from (single-ended though) and the balanced Therium when it comes!

Thanks Trev, can't wait to receive the cables! :)

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #1,954 of 6,464
Hi Folks-

Just wanted to add to the praise of Trevor's work- the 4-wire Therium cable has been a really big improvement over the stock cable for my Shure 846's. Since receiving them about 2 weeks ago I have heard a significant improvement in all of the areas you'd expect- treble extension, wider soundstage, more "immediacy" to the midrange and a more defined low end. Also, I'm super impressed with how comfortable the cables are (especially when compared to stock)- it's easy to forget that they're there.

Thanks Trevor!

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #1,955 of 6,464
I have the 4 strand Therium for my UE-900s and then put on my Fidue A83's and absolutely love them. (picked them up at the Seattle Meetup back in June?) and I forgot to post a review back then :frowning2:

I recieved a pair of the updated HE400i in december and am slowly saving money to get rid of the stock cable.  Are there any recommendations for a cable?  Should I just go for the Solv X?

Thank You.

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #1,956 of 6,464
I have the Solv X for my 400i and it is an excellent replacement. I highly recommend.

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #1,957 of 6,464
I have the 4 strand Therium for my UE-900s and then put on my Fidue A83's and absolutely love them. (picked them up at the Seattle Meetup back in June?) and I forgot to post a review back then :frowning2:

I recieved a pair of the updated HE400i in december and am slowly saving money to get rid of the stock cable.  Are there any recommendations for a cable?  Should I just go for the Solv X?

Thank You.

Hey Elric! Hope all is well. Glad to hear you are loving your therium! I sent mine back to get re terminated for my fidue a83's. I had a trrs balanced 3.5 and now want normal 3.5mm. I cancelled my order of the LH labs geekwave . Anyhow. The cable was awesome! But hated using an adapter all the time. The geekwave never was made and still "in the making" and I think it's been almost 2 years ? Nuts...
Well I asked Trevor his recommendation on the 400i, will let you know when I hear.
I would guess a Zoetic from what I know, but the Zoetic pairs well with most everything and as the comfort factor too! It's pure textile! No plastic like insulation, double fabric basically. And carbon cores. The cable sounds stellar with most cans

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #1,959 of 6,464

Pave PM sent

To everyone else:

I am now getting a chance to finish emails for the past day,
so replies will be incoming.

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #1,960 of 6,464
Hey guys,

I'm considering buying my first aftermarket cable and would like to ask if anyone could share their thoughts on pairing Norne Audio - Vanquish Series with LCD-3F .

This is really one nice looking cable, but will there be any difference in terms of sound ? 

My current setup is Bifrost Uber - Lyr - LCD-3F.

Thanks in advance :wink:

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #1,961 of 6,464
I found Norne Audio completely by chance two days ago and have been nothing less than blown away by the attention Trevor has given to answering my questions. I pulled the trigger on an 8 wire Therium cable for my 846's the next day. The only reason it took me a day was because I needed to choose a 3.5mm termination and splitter combination that I knew I'd be happy with down the road.
I'm pretty jacked over the whole transaction so far, seeing as I hadn't planned on buying a new cable when this past weekend started.

Walt 
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #1,962 of 6,464
Tim to share some photos of Trevor's excellent craftsmanship!
Cables are as follows.

For hd800:
7ft grey/black draug2 with black stealth aluminum splitter, eidolic 4pin tellerium copper/gold plated xlr.

For edition X:
7ft silvergarde S grey/black herringbone - same tecu 4pin as other cable.

Misc adapters:
Custom made silvergarde S :
reverse phase right channel only with special silver bling sleeve. Red sleeve to designate right channel special adapter for RPT.

Other adapter is a nice dual3pin to 4pin xlr adapter: using valab carbon fiber barrels with tellerium copper and rhodium plated pins. Sleeve is grey/black herring bone to match edition X cable.

Apr 5, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #1,965 of 6,464
draug is sexy thanks for the preview. I almost purchased one last week but need to clear bills first

Yes! I really like the grey/black draug and also the brown/black draug with wood splitter and when paired with some cans that have wood cups!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back