New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Oct 4, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #1,351 of 1,937

I liked the se215 so much I just bought the 535s. What they have in common is really remarkable beside the shell case size and the behind the ear cable. If you like the way they fit or tolerate it until they feel natural. At first, most people are annoyed by the stiffness of the cable and fitting the earphones takes some trial and error. If you can get past that and find the right tips you'll enjoy the forward midrange. This isn't to say the 215s don't have bass or treble they do. The monitor quality is what brought Shure no small amount of attention. The 535s add a large portion of clarity, better defined bass and some nice top end sparkle. In general the 535s are true monitors while the 215s are tuned for consumer audio preferences, otherwise know as "fun" or "musical".

I plan on getting some aftermarket cables primarily for a more flexible ear wrap and possibly some Sensaphonic sleeves that I can wear with both. As shown here http://www.sensaphonics.com/for-shure-earphones

edit. I still have the se310s. Those are the ones with the fixed cable. I often use the 310s with the cable down (right iem in left ear etc) this isn't possible with either of the others; se215 or 535. The 310s have been used frequently over the 5 years that I've had them. They have been durable but don't come anywhere close in performance or quality to the se215s. The isolation (noise blocking) on the three above is the only attribute they all have in common.

Thank you for the detailed and detailed response!

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #1,356 of 1,937
  Once again, thank you for your support and guidance ! 
I bought them today, the sound is really awesome and very detailed ! 

I see you like the olives, here's another to try
Etymotic hf5 foams (the flanges didn't work for me)
So far this has been the best for me. They are very much like the Shure yellow foams, which as far as I know, don't come with the SE215s

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #1,358 of 1,937
Цитата:
Сообщение от ri_toast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I see you like the olives, here's another to try
Etymotic hf5 foams (the flanges didn't work for me)
So far this has been the best for me. They are very much like the Shure yellow foams, which as far as I know, don't come with the SE215s

Do I understand correctly that the yellow better than the foam packing from the kit ?
Yellow Foam Sleeves For SE model earphones : http://www.shure.com/americas/products/accessories/earphones-headphones/earphone-headphone-sleeves

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #1,363 of 1,937
I just picked this up, occ silver plate, just slightly shorter than the stock cable. No perceptible difference in sound however a great deal more comfortable without the memory wire.
It is much smaller than it appears in the photo.
Along with the cable I also bought a 64gb micro sd card, much more room to store flac on the phone (better quality audio) I also picked up the neutron app for android (parametric eq) which is a major step up.

So yes, the cable affects the quality if it's unplugged......hehe

there is a thread about removing the memory wire somewhere around here. Looked risky but has advantages.
You will receive many opinions about the worth of a cable. In my opinion source>files>tips before cables. These will have more effect. the cable pictured was pretty cheap on ebay, around 70 usd

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #1,364 of 1,937
I just bought a pair of 215's to use as my sleep IEM. I was using Westone 3 that I traded for my free Monster Turbine Pro Copper ( I regret that, Copper's sounded better)...but anyway, the W3 cable fell apart. RIP.  I really like the cable with the 215, even the memory wire works great for me.  The 215 looks like a more expensive IEM. I have the clear version.

Sound wise, they are not too impressive but I'm comparing them to my favorite IEM, the Ortofon e-Q7. My Ety ER-4P has a bad left driver that needs to go back to Ety so I can't compare.

Compared to my e-Q7, the 215 bass is close in quantity but falls short on quality. There seems to be a problem in the lower treble, 5K to 10K. It seems like a "hole" somewhere around there compared to e-Q7. Also mids and treble detail is easily better with e-Q7. But this isn't really a fair comparison being the Ortofon is a BA and Shure is a dynamic driver.

I tried the yellow Shure foam and big black Ety foam. Both didn't give me enough isolation and bass was lacking. I settled on the grey Olives (I think they're called). 

Overall, they're worth $100 to me. They look great and sound fine for my low-level listening of Classical music late at night.

Oct 11, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #1,365 of 1,937
Don't they sound veiled to you?

The bass is kind of muddy too. That was when I still have my W3.

I preferred Westone's braided cable over the Shure cable, Westone's cable is more flexible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back