New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Jul 10, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #1,309 of 1,937
My brand new SE215 just broke as I tried to take off the tip that came stuck on it. What a piece of garbage. 

Thin IEM stems are prone to breaking if you press on the tips the wrong way though... you need to basically apply as much pulling force while applying as little pressing force as possible...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 10, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #1,310 of 1,937
Thin IEM stems are prone to breaking if you press on the tips the wrong way though... you need to basically apply as much pulling force while applying as little pressing force as possible...

I've owned many Shure, Etymotic and Westone iems and this is the first time this has happened :frowning2: The Shure olives are notorious for getting impossibly stuck. 

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #1,313 of 1,937
  How does the SE215 compare to HD25's? My HD25's hurt my ears with my new glasses so I'm looking for IEM's and the SE215's are high on my list.

You can't technically compare earphones to headphones in terms of sound signature; its quite different. But based on your preference for the HD25s, I would say you might enjoy the SE215s. Tight bass, decent imaging and comfortable ear fit should make for a pretty good experience.

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #1,314 of 1,937
You can't technically compare earphones to headphones in terms of sound signature; its quite different. But based on your preference for the HD25s, I would say you might enjoy the SE215s. Tight bass, decent imaging and comfortable ear fit should make for a pretty good experience.

In what way would headphones differ? You'd think that the closed nature of the hd25 would make them closer. But I digress. I've looked at frequency response measurements of the se215,the re-400 and the hd25. The re-400 is a little bit below the hd25 in terms of bass (and a little less punchy according to the same website). The se215 shows a huge bump and I'm a bit worried about that. They also rate the bass as being more smooth. At home I listen to diy scanspeak refence monitors which are pretty much flat from 75hz and up (ignoring acoustics). Dynamics are important to me, as is high quality bass (as opposed to just much bass). So I'm not sure if the se215's bass is tight enough and that it might be too much.

Edit: listening to my old cx300's right now and my God they are so bad haha.

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #1,316 of 1,937
Sounds like you might just want to go custom if you're used to that level of audio.
In what way would headphones differ? You'd think that the closed nature of the hd25 would make them closer. But I digress. I've looked at frequency response measurements of the se215,the re-400 and the hd25. The re-400 is a little bit below the hd25 in terms of bass (and a little less punchy according to the same website). The se215 shows a huge bump and I'm a bit worried about that. They also rate the bass as being more smooth. At home I listen to diy scanspeak refence monitors which are pretty much flat from 75hz and up (ignoring acoustics). Dynamics are important to me, as is high quality bass (as opposed to just much bass). So I'm not sure if the se215's bass is tight enough and that it might be too much.

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #1,317 of 1,937

Looking at the frequency response chart doesn't do justice to the SE215. Its best for you to try them out personally to find out whether you truly like the sound or not. Or as Gilly87 suggests, you can go for customs if your budget allows.

Jul 27, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #1,318 of 1,937
For the sake of replacing my recently deceased Yam EPH-100s, I picked these up at a local Guitar Center (would've gotten more Yams but they were out of stock). It's been a few days, and I can say that I like these quite a bit. Highs aren't as detailed as I'm used to, but the mid focus makes up for it. I have never owned IEMs that make vocals jump forward the way that these do, and I have to say that I appreciate it (Gretchen Parlato can just lull me to sleep forever with that incredible voice of hers).

My only two sources are a Clip Zip (rockboxed) w/Fiio E6 and my Nokia Lumia 521. I immediately get the feeling that these are more source-dependent than anything else I've owned, which is fine since I've for Fiio's X5 in my crosshairs.

Edit: Also want to note that these respond very nicely to EQ. I don't normally touch the stuff, but I'm too accustomed to bassy IEMs. Also had to tweak 4khz by -1khz because apparently every overseas producer believes that sibilance is key!

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #1,319 of 1,937
My impressions of these are that they are kind of veiled.
Swapped my w3 for the se215 for a few days, can't seem to get pass the fact that it is slightly veiled..

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #1,320 of 1,937
Not surprised: your W3s are pretty bright and the 215s are recessed after 5khz with fairly substantial roll off.
My impressions of these are that they are kind of veiled.
Swapped my w3 for the se215 for a few days, can't seem to get pass the fact that it is slightly veiled..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back