New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Nov 24, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #1,276 of 1,937
I got the cable because first, there was someone selling it for quite cheap and second I was curious what cable could do. It gave extra resolution to the mids, extra tightness to the bass and more treble control and sparkle. Soundstage became wider and more rounded. However, generally speaking, it kinda missed the lushness of shure iems and made it sound almost analytical. Was using DX50 with it and noticed details come much faster and clearer. But I didnt like the overall sound sig at all...... Ended up selling it to other guy. 

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #1,277 of 1,937
  I got the cable because first, there was someone selling it for quite cheap and second I was curious what cable could do. It gave extra resolution to the mids, extra tightness to the bass and more treble control and sparkle. Soundstage became wider and more rounded. However, generally speaking, it kinda missed the lushness of shure iems and made it sound almost analytical. Was using DX50 with it and noticed details come much faster and clearer. But I didnt like the overall sound sig at all...... Ended up selling it to other guy. 

Thanks for the follow up.  I just couldn't see myself spending that kind of $ on a cable...the reviews on whether or not the custom cables improve SQ are pretty mixed.  I have been considering the Fiio RC-SE1 as an entry level cable.  At about $30 it is at least a suitable replacement for the OTB Shure cable should something go wrong with mine. 

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #1,278 of 1,937

I'm sorry... but how in the world could a cable ever change the soundstage. Or really anything. I just, I don't know.

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #1,279 of 1,937
I'm sorry... but how in the world could a cable ever change the soundstage. Or really anything. I just, I don't know.

Silver conducts better than copper... So SPC (Silver-Plated Copper) cables are an upgrade (to some) in sound quality. Soundstage? Maybe since the tightening up of the entire presentation creates better instrument separation. But I'm telling you, with the SE215 at least, that an SPC cable or better presents a night-and-day difference over the stock cables. I kid you not. I've been there. I've heard it. And I've let my other audiophile buddies hear it and they can confirm the difference... Oh, they were blind-tested.

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #1,280 of 1,937
  315 are much better when amped. Like almost all single BA IEMs.
But! If you like hard music, BA Shures are very good value, if your music has not so much instruments and has not a high speed, 215 is a very very good phones.

In my opinion, there was no improvement at all when I paired my SE315 with my Fiio E17.

Honestly, to anyone looking at getting a Shure SE IEM, look at the 215 or 535, just skip the 315.

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #1,281 of 1,937
guys... anyone using se215 with fiio x3..??

just wanna know how these two cooperating...

x3 is warmer and darker... se215 also warmer and darker... so patching the both will produce more darker sound... will there be any problem in soundstage...

if there is not at all a problem i wanna buy x3 for my se215 and momentum on-ear...

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #1,282 of 1,937
  In my opinion, there was no improvement at all when I paired my SE315 with my Fiio E17.

Honestly, to anyone looking at getting a Shure SE IEM, look at the 215 or 535, just skip the 315.

I agree.  If the Shure sound is to your liking skip the 315's. I did not find that the 315's were a significant step up from the 215's to be worth the extra $.  I spent significant time with the 425's and 535's when I was looking to upgrade from my 215's.  I chose the 535's...the 425's were very good, but the 535's seemed to be a bit more forward on the mids...very much to my liking.  Paired with the JDS C5, the 535's really hit my sweet spot.

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #1,283 of 1,937
After a few weeks with the 315s, I agree that they are not an improvement over the 215s in terms of sound quality.

In some ways I think I actually prefer the 215 sound, but there's not much in it. Certainly don't pay the extra money for the 315s.

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #1,284 of 1,937
I waited a long time to pull the trigger on the 535's..$$$...but glad I did.  Found a great Black Friday deal on Earphone Solutions this week.

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #1,285 of 1,937
I'm curious, how would you compare the bass between the 425 and 535?

I agree.  If the Shure sound is to your liking skip the 315's. I did not find that the 315's were a significant step up from the 215's to be worth the extra $.  I spent significant time with the 425's and 535's when I was looking to upgrade from my 215's.  I chose the 535's...the 425's were very good, but the 535's seemed to be a bit more forward on the mids...very much to my liking.  Paired with the JDS C5, the 535's really hit my sweet spot.

Dec 1, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #1,286 of 1,937
I'm curious, how would you compare the bass between the 425 and 535?

I compared the 425 and 535 on the several tracks, one of them being Miles Davis - So What from "Kind of Blue."  I like to use this track when demoing headphones.  Paul Chamber's bass sets up the melody near the beginning of the track.  The bass is the only sound you hear for a few bars.  As the track continues the bass is always at the bottom, keeping the melody intact as everyone solos over the top of it.  I found little or no distinction between the 425 and 535 on this track.  Overall, for most music, I would say the bass on the 535 to be slightly more prominent than it is on the 425's...but when the bass is on the track it shows up on the 425's...accurate but not over powering.  Don't know if this helps...this stuff is so subjective...sort of like...

"What are you looking for?"
"I'll let you know when I find it."

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #1,287 of 1,937
So true.

So the 535 has more bass, generally speaking. Good to know.

Quote:
  I compared the 425 and 535 on the several tracks, one of them being Miles Davis - So What from "Kind of Blue."  I like to use this track when demoing headphones.  Paul Chamber's bass sets up the melody near the beginning of the track.  The bass is the only sound you hear for a few bars.  As the track continues the bass is always at the bottom, keeping the melody intact as everyone solos over the top of it.  I found little or no distinction between the 425 and 535 on this track.  Overall, for most music, I would say the bass on the 535 to be slightly more prominent than it is on the 425's...but when the bass is on the track it shows up on the 425's...accurate but not over powering.  Don't know if this helps...this stuff is so subjective...sort of like...

"What are you looking for?"
"I'll let you know when I find it."

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #1,288 of 1,937

That is what I heard when I compared them.  Another track I like to use when trying headphones is Mahavishnu Orchestra - One Word from "Birds of Fire."  On this track the 535's really shine.  The bass is not overpowering, but clearly more forward than with the 425's.  Again, in quieter passages, for example, during the bass solo on this track, the 425's do fine, but when all the other instruments are present, the bass tended to get a bit lost in the mix.  With the 535's I did not find this to be the case.  I also find that my C5 amp seems to improve instrument separation, and widens the sound stage a bit.  This track gives a good read on these qualities as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back