New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Nov 14, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #1,261 of 1,937
Can anyone give me tips for wearing them?
I tried Shure's way (both dropping down and behind the neck)

But I am getting so much microphonic (ex. my shirt rubbing against the cable, the cable rubbing the side of my neck), it's louder than my music! It's driving me crazy

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #1,262 of 1,937
If you are referring to the se215's, I am a bit surprised that you have a microphonics issue.  I own the 215's and find this to be one of the few IEMs I have owned where the microphonics are almost entirely absent.  I use mine daily, and wear them over my ears with the cord at the front of my neck, and the slider just below my chin...not tight  I am typically using the stock Shure cable, but have also used the Fiio RC-SE1 cable.  No problem with either as far as microphonics are concerned.  I am new to the forum but I do not recall seeing many posts where this was a complaint about the Shures.

Nov 15, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #1,263 of 1,937
If you are referring to the se215's, I am a bit surprised that you have a microphonics issue.  I own the 215's and find this to be one of the few IEMs I have owned where the microphonics are almost entirely absent.  I use mine daily, and wear them over my ears with the cord at the front of my neck, and the slider just below my chin...not tight  I am typically using the stock Shure cable, but have also used the Fiio RC-SE1 cable.  No problem with either as far as microphonics are concerned.  I am new to the forum but I do not recall seeing many posts where this was a complaint about the Shures.

To be honest, this is my second pair of se215. My first pair, I sold it because of the microphonics issue. Then some of my friends said I must of not been wearing it right. So I bought another pair because I do enjoytheir sound signatureesignature. So I put them on and wear it exactly as Tylls video and the microphonics are incredibly annoying. It rubs my shirt and I could hear it. it rubs my neck and I could hear it... I don't know what else to do. My JVC marshmallow never had this problem when I wear it over my ears :frowning2:

Nov 15, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #1,264 of 1,937
Sorry, not able to help.  Hope someone else can provide some insight.
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #1,266 of 1,937
One interesting thing is... one of my jackets seems to produce a lot of microphonics but another jacket it seems to be very little lol... maybe its my jacket's problem!?!? haha

I have a light bit of microphonics on mine, but it doesn't bother me much. I'm not a big fan of the memory wire though, and found theres a replacement cable from China on eBay and Amazon for about $16. Might be good.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #1,267 of 1,937
I have a light bit of microphonics on mine, but it doesn't bother me much. I'm not a big fan of the memory wire though, and found theres a replacement cable from China on eBay and Amazon for about $16. Might be good.

You may want to check out the Fiio RC-SE1, braided silver plated copper for abut $30.  I have a Fiio E11 amp.  If the cable quality is as good as their amps, it should be a good value.  But I have seen mixed reviews on the microphonics of the Fioo cables.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #1,268 of 1,937
  One interesting thing is... one of my jackets seems to produce a lot of microphonics but another jacket it seems to be very little lol... maybe its my jacket's problem!?!? haha

Wardrobe malfunction?

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #1,269 of 1,937
The 2 year warranty on these is great.

My 215s had developed an intermittent connection problem in the left earpiece. Swapping cables, and swapping L/R didn't help, so I sent them in for warranty service. I had purchased them form earphone solutions just over a year ago.

I wasn't expecting much, probably they would be returned as 'no fault found' or similar. In any case I had gotten lots of good daily use out of them, and I was quite prepared to replace them if need be.

But to my surprise, Shure replaced my faulty SE215s with a brand new set of SE315s including cable . The 215s were on backorder, apparently.

From a brief listen, the SE315s are not much of an upgrade, at least in terms of SQ. But I'm still very happy with the service.

Thanks Shure!

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #1,270 of 1,937
I demo'd the 315's at InMotion when I bought my 215's and came to the same conclusion, that the upgrade in SQ, if there at all, wasn't enough to justify the extra money.  Good to know that your experience with Shure CS was so positive.  I enjoy the Shure sound signature, having gone through two sets of E2c's before I picked up the 215's.  I have recently spent some serious time with the 425's and 535's...both excellent...but again, the extra cash is a hurdle. 

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #1,271 of 1,937
315 are much better when amped. Like almost all single BA IEMs.
But! If you like hard music, BA Shures are very good value, if your music has not so much instruments and has not a high speed, 215 is a very very good phones.

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #1,272 of 1,937
I have used a Fiio E11 with my 215's, as well as a DIY Cmoy, and I haven't really seen enough of an improvement to warrant the extra gear when I want to be mobile.  What amp do you recommend?  I have read that the JDS labs C5 is well suited to the Shures.  Do you have any experience with this amp?

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #1,274 of 1,937
I guess I'd like to know if the investment in such a high end cable (3X the price of the 215's) is a better way to go than upgrading to the 425 or 535's.  What improvement in the SQ does the Cronus cable provide? What source are you using?  I am currently using the 215's as my main IEM, and considering an upgrade.

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #1,275 of 1,937
I've never tried high end cables so I suppose my answer isn't really qualified, but I can very likely assume no.
You're usually better off buying new earphones rather than cables for earphones. Many even say cables don't change sound in double blind tests.

That said, damn those cronus cables look nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back