New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
May 6, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #661 of 1,937

Quote:
For those that have heard both the hje900 and the se215, can you please compare how they sound at low volumes? And specifically, which of the two has the superior dynamic range. Since I'm a low volume listener and I've found that dynamics matter to me, I'm very curious to hear how the se215 performs here.

Really hard to compare. Hje900 has more of a mid-bass hump than the 215 and better treble. The 215 has much better mids and overall better cohesive sound than the Hje900. I think the 215 has a bit wider soundstage and fuller sound. Hje900 electric guitars sound better than the 215, but vocals sound better in the Shure. Mids are somewhat recessed in the Hje900. They really are different sound signatures. I like both of them, but it's really hard to compare. It will be based on the type of sound signature you like.

May 6, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #662 of 1,937
I'm liking my se215 after 3 weeks, seem to have opened up even more

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 6, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #663 of 1,937

Quote:
Ok thaks a lot!!!!!! Now I've only to decide the colour.... dark or clear (black or white)! Any suggestion?

I would go with the black, the clear are cool, but the wire isnt as flexible and is a bit thinner. My neighbour got the clears and i got the blacks, we swapped one of the drivers, but he would of liked the black cable too. So I say keep it simple

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 6, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #664 of 1,937

Quote:
In my case broke the left earpiece. The cable works perfectly. I was in train, just removed them to search my ticket for show it to a ticket inspector, and when I reinserted them again, the left driver was out. I don't know what they are going to do with mine, On the website they tell they replace them with new ones, but on the email they let me intend just a repair. I will tell you forward! 

Yeah, i guess at this time we can only wait and see.
This is kind of a let down though, kinda expect shure's customer service to be better than this

May 6, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #665 of 1,937

Quote:
Really hard to compare. Hje900 has more of a mid-bass hump than the 215 and better treble. The 215 has much better mids and overall better cohesive sound than the Hje900. I think the 215 has a bit wider soundstage and fuller sound. Hje900 electric guitars sound better than the 215, but vocals sound better in the Shure. Mids are somewhat recessed in the Hje900. They really are different sound signatures. I like both of them, but it's really hard to compare. It will be based on the type of sound signature you like.

Thanks for the info eric. But would it be possible to compare their respective dynamics' at low volume? I'm just curious since it's an area where many many IEMs fall short. From my brief time auditioning the hje900 I remember it had great dynamic range at low volume. I'm wondering if the se215 can compare in that respect.

May 6, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #666 of 1,937

I don't really listen at low volume (or really high volume), but I'll try to do that for you tonight.
Quote:
Thanks for the info eric. But would it be possible to compare their respective dynamics' at low volume? I'm just curious since it's an area where many many IEMs fall short. From my brief time auditioning the hje900 I remember it had great dynamic range at low volume. I'm wondering if the se215 can compare in that respect.

May 6, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #667 of 1,937
I've had these for a about a week and I'm definitely enjoying them. Far better than the S4s I used to use. lol But attempting to take off any of the tips is a terrifying experience. I've done the freezer thing, which marginally helped, but I'm afraid of breaking the nozzle when I try to get the tips off. Twisting them off doesn't work for me because of the foam. And for some reason the left ear piece doesn't fit as well as my right one lol But other than that they're awesome. 
beyersmile.png

May 7, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #669 of 1,937
in comparison to the MT these have a larger sound stage and much better mids. The treble is similar between the two in terms of extension and quality. The MT's have a more impactfull bass but I think the SE215 are not to far off and a better quality bass.

The MT has the insertion issue in regards to getting the right depth and they are heavy due to being made of metal. I personally like the way the SE215 fit but a few people have had issues.

The MT is built like a tank but I think the SE215 is one of the best plastic body IEM's I have bought so is OK and also has the ability to have replacement cables or converted to use with an iphone with the purchase of the right cable.

Shure renowned Olive foam tips give the Shure a bit of an edge in the tips in my opinion.

May 7, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #671 of 1,937
No not the coppers I am referring to the original Monster Turbines

May 7, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #672 of 1,937
Hey, I've been using these with my iPod and my PC, but they sound kinda 'meh' out of the iPod... Out of my PC they sound amazing, but they sound weaker out of the iPod for some reason. I see people recommend the Clip+ a lot here, do you think that would be a good DAP for these IEMs? By the way, my PC is an Asus EeePC 1000H and my iPod is a Nano 4G, don't know if that matters or anything... Thanks!

May 7, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #673 of 1,937
Do these SE215 come with those popular foam eartips(olive?) out of the box, or does it need to be bought separately?

And to Alez, do they really sound bad out of the iPod? I planned to buy them with the thought of using them on my iPod, that's a shame..

May 7, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #674 of 1,937
They come with I think 3 sizes of the Olives inside the package (nice because I never used them before but always heard about them).

And to Alez and Syao's second question, I've kind of noticed something similar in the sense that my computer (it's a Macbook but I think it still applies) had better sound quality than my iPods from what I remember. The thing is I've noticed this with all the headphones/IEMs I've tried, definitely not just the Shures of course. Not to say the iPod had bad quality to me but my notebook just had better quality. I wouldn't be discouraged to use them with an iPod at all, but I wouldn't be able to personally suggest any other alternatives because I've only been using the iPods and an iPhone. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back