New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
May 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #676 of 1,937
Unless there ends up being an area sonically that you love about your M6 that is significantly different on the SE215 they will be a step for you.

May 7, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #677 of 1,937
I have a question about the cord that come with the SE215's. I know they're detachable, but have any of you owners experienced any noise problems through the driver when bumping the cable?

I've recently purchased a pair of M50's, and I"m going to have to send them back because I get a kind of clicking sound in my left driver whenever I move my head or I walk. So I'm thinking about exchanging my M50's for these since they're the same price. So has anyone experienced something like this with these IEM's?

Thanks.

May 7, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #678 of 1,937
Hey man, I don't hear any sounds in the drivers themselves when using these earphones. However, sometimes when it's windy outside and I'm longboarding, the cable will cause a bit of microphonics. This is normal though.

Also, if you plan on going out a lot and don't want to hear what's going on around you, or simply want great comfort, these are for you. If you stay at home, or don't mind having big headphones on your head, go with the m50.

I personally don't use my shure headphones now that I have good sounding in-ears

Quote:
I have a question about the cord that come with the SE215's. I know they're detachable, but have any of you owners experienced any noise problems through the driver when bumping the cable?

I've recently purchased a pair of M50's, and I"m going to have to send them back because I get a kind of clicking sound in my left driver whenever I move my head or I walk. So I'm thinking about exchanging my M50's for these since they're the same price. So has anyone experienced something like this with these IEM's?

Thanks.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 7, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #679 of 1,937
Well I got the M50's for use on the go. Mainly when I'm walking my dog, or doing things like that. I wanted isolation and the M50's provided that, but I know the SE215's will too, as most IEM's do.

I was just wondering if there's been a common complaint about the cord making noise when walking or while moving your head around.

May 7, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #680 of 1,937
I had the same clicking problem a few days ago; it went away when I removed the cable from the housing and put it back on. Im guessing it had something to do with the cable rotating on the plug...was pretty annoying.

May 7, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #681 of 1,937

Quote:
Do these SE215 come with those popular foam eartips(olive?) out of the box, or does it need to be bought separately?

And to Alez, do they really sound bad out of the iPod? I planned to buy them with the thought of using them on my iPod, that's a shame..

They don't actually sound BAD, but they lack energy... I don't really know how to describe it, but the sound is somewhat weaker. They still sound good, but not don't have as much impact as they do out of my laptop.

May 7, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #682 of 1,937
it's time for u to get an portable amplifier then...try the new fiio e11..=)

May 8, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #684 of 1,937
I think he means it would help when using portable equipment, such as the iPod and stuff. They do sound good, but I suppose more power from an amp would definitely help. I'd like to know, though, which amp would pair up well with these, since they already have a pretty big bass? 

May 8, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #685 of 1,937
While a little amp will make the SE215 sound better I don't think it's necessary. People should try it by itself and then get an amp if they want more.

May 8, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #687 of 1,937
the amp can do both actually..for amplification only, just buy an amp and connect it thru headphone out..
if you want to make it sound better, just buy another line out dock and connect it thru line out....
if you want a cheap amp, check fiio e5, very small and light

May 8, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #688 of 1,937
Adding a portable amp is done to improve clarity because the added amplification will often tighten and intensify the sound at the same volume level ie. bass will be deeper and tighter and treble can sometimes have added clarity and sparkle. When I use my portable amp with my SE215 this definitely happens. But I also don't mind it straight from my iPhone 4.

I just suggest people try it without an amp and if they then find it lacking try them with an amp to see if that resolves the problems vs. buying an amp without knowing if you need it first.

May 8, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #689 of 1,937
There are two reasons why an external amp can help speakers, in general.

The first is that while speakers are described to have a specific impedence by the manufacturer, the reality is that this impedence varies (quite often dramatically) at different frequencies. So a weak amp (such as what's typically built into portable players) will output the impedence according the the "draw" of the speaker, resulting in variations in amplitude of the current. So when the impedence drops, the current goes up, and vice versa. The result is a less than optimal sound, since the current is constantly varying. Subjectively, it muddy's up the sound. A good amplifier will do a better job of maintaining constant current output to the speakers despite impedence changes, resulting in a subjectively cleaner, less distorted sound.

This is why for full size stereo equipment (or home theater) the really good amps have giant transformers and capactors, and weigh a ton. It's to provide enough headroom within the amp so that it can provide constant current output at high wattages under diifficult (varying) loads.

Now, I can't say just how variable dynamic IEM speakers are... and certainly everything is to a much smaller scale, but the same principle should hold. And if it doesn't, then I'd be inclined to believe that external amps offer nothing but placebo effects to IEM users.

The other reason actually has nothing to do with amplifiers. If you take the digital out of your portable player directly, you can convert that digital signal to an analog signal with less distortion, provided the external DAC is of a higher quality. And that's not hard for something like the iPod, which has a cheap cheap cheap built in DAC. So even a relatively cheap Fiio LOD cable will tend to do a better job than an iPod.

May 9, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #690 of 1,937
@AngryBaconGod have you received your GR07 yet? I am looking forward to hearing your take on them in comparison to the SE215.

As for memory wire vs no memory wire I'll be the tie breaker after I get mine :wink:

Looks like my GR07's have been sitting in Vancouver customs since the 28'th (the day you posted your question, in fact). I ordered CK10 on Thursday night (from HK), and they've already arrived and cleared customs in Mississauga. Guess I'll be hearing those first.

How do you like the iPhone cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back