New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
May 9, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #692 of 1,937
Actually that cable hasn't arrived yet either. It appears customs is either really busy or lazy :wink:

May 9, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #693 of 1,937
Just wondering. Thinking of getting into the IEM game again and either these or the SE315 would be my choice. Are the 315's better than the 215's? I only ask as here in the UK they are £99.99/£139.99 respectively, so not much of a jump in price.

Cheers,
MiG

May 9, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #694 of 1,937
Quote:
Just wondering. Thinking of getting into the IEM game again and either these or the SE315 would be my choice. Are the 315's better than the 215's? I only ask as here in the UK they are £99.99/£139.99 respectively, so not much of a jump in price.

Cheers,
MiG

Depends on what your preferences are and how you define "better".

SE215 uses a single dynamic mirco driver and has strong bass. It's good for HipHop, Pop, electronic and other fast-paced music.
SE315 uses a single balanced armature driver. It's more detailed than the SE215's but has less bass. It also has a tuned BassPort which is supposed to optimize low-end performance using a vented driver.

It's up to you, but IMHO the SE215 are a better bang for the buck.
I prefer them over the SE315's.

May 9, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #695 of 1,937
If you care about bass the most then get the SE215, otherwise SE315 has a smoother midrange and more refined highs. When I demoed the SE215 then switched to the SE315, the SE315 sounded weightless because its bass is subdue; not quite as fun sounding as the SE215.

May 9, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #696 of 1,937
I picked up my SE215's today from Guitar Center, and my first impressions are not positive at all.

First off, I absolutely hate this over-the-ear design. I like regular IEM's, not these with this weird looking(and feeling) design, and having to wrap the cable over your ear. It's overall just uncomfortable for me, and a pain in the ass to put them in. I'm going to have to go to the Shure site though and see if there are any tips to putting these in easier.

And as far as sound quality goes, again, I'm not really impressed. The bass is there, but I like a clearer sounding headphone. Plus to my ears I'm not getting much of a sound stage. I personally think my Sennheiser CX 300-II's are MUCH better in just about every aspect(which I would still be using if I did accidentally drown one of the drivers in candle wax, and no longer have the receipt to get them replaced).

Overall build quality is great though in my opinion.

I'm going to use them for a couple days and hope they break in some. But if I continue to dislike them, then I'm going to put an ad up to see if someone wants to trade(I'm wanting the RE0's or RE-Zero's), as I'm not allowed to return IEM's to Guitar Center. I even purchased the additional two year full warranty from Guitar Center, on top of the two year limited warranty that Shure gives you.

But again, these are just my first impressions. Who knows, I might fall in love with them in a couple days.

May 9, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #698 of 1,937
No, I wasn't already again the over-the-ear design. I've never owned a pair like these before, so I didn't know if I was going to like them or not. But now that I tried them, I'm not really a fan of it.

But...the more I listen to them and wear them, they have become a bit more comfortable and I'm starting to like the sound a bit more. Like I said, my above post was just my first impression of these IEM's. I'm still not a fan of this particular design(and no matter how much I use them I seriously doubt I will become a fan), but I am starting to dig the sound more. I'm not a believer of "burn-in", but I do believe that your ears has to get used to the sound of a new pair of headphones, and that's what's happening to me now.

EDIT: According to their site these IEM's don't have to be worn over-the-ear. So I just tried them the regular way, and they fit just as good, and sound the same. So maybe I'll just stick with wearing them like this.

Anyone else wear these down instead of over-the-ear?

May 9, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #699 of 1,937
Yea I misread the part about the design in your first post. My bad lol But I'll just chime in, the fit was pretty frustrating to me too at first, I never really used over-the-ear IEMS before these and they were pretty frustrating at first but like others have said, the memory wire and the fit seem to get better as you get used to it. With the tips I'm using the pieces kind of poke outward from my ear even though the tips are securely in, kind of frustrating at times but it doesn't really affect the sound.

May 9, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #700 of 1,937
Make sure you play with the different tips as that can make a big difference. I find a completely different sound when using he foam "olive" tips over the rubber tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back