New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Mar 24, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #241 of 1,937

Quote:
Can anyone comment on how much thicker the iPhone cable is? I think I will buy the cable so I can use it with my iPhone as I liked that feature with my 560R and am thinking it would be nice to have it with these as well.

The iPhone cables are actually thiner. From the earpiece connection to the "Y" they are much thinner (40-50% thinner). After the "Y" the cable is just a tiny bit thinner than the original cables. And no memory wires. 

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #243 of 1,937
The iPhone cables are actually thiner. From the earpiece connection to the "Y" they are much thinner (40-50% thinner). After the "Y" the cable is just a tiny bit thinner than the original cables. And no memory wires. 

That is interesting. I think I might prefer the lack of memory wire as they might be easier to insert. I also like the thought of thinner cables. What are the microphonics like in comparison and do they look as sturdy?

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #245 of 1,937

Quote:
Quote:

That is interesting. I think I might prefer the lack of memory wire as they might be easier to insert. I also like the thought of thinner cables. What are the microphonics like in comparison and do they look as sturdy?

The iPhone cable must go behind the ear and the "Y" should rest on your chest. I tried every other way and it doesn't work for me. The cables have a bit of microphonics in comparison to the regular cables and I'm sure it has something to do with fitting an inline mic. Not too bad and it only happens when you bang the cables against your body, not when you rub the cables. No loss in sound quality for music playback. None. Andrea Bocelli still sounding amazing.

Due to the different fit, I would not workout with these cables. I would definitely use the stock cables as I have been using. Sound quality when taking calls is excellent and the mic works really good, according to all the callers on the other end and also when I was on the other end.

The one thing I'm not in love with is the length of the cables. Too long. I think they used LeBron James for taking the measurement.

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #246 of 1,937

Quote:
Does anyone have suggestions on how to work with the memory wire? The sound is great but getting them on is a pain.

It's a matter of time. I did not like them at first either and now they actually help. Specially at the gym, jogging, etc. But they have become very comfortable for me now. They definitely fit me better than the iPhone cables that don't have the memory wire. Once you mold them behind the back of your ears they will retain that form. When pulling them out, simply twist the earpieces out without messing with the memory wires. So after you remove them, when you look at them, you will see the arch of your ear preserved. When putting them back you let the "hook" of the formed memory wire "fall" on the back of your ear and then you work the earpieces into place. You then fine adjust the memory wire by pushing it in place.

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #247 of 1,937
the memory wires of the ue`s were one thing that let me change to shure se530. now that shure does the same stupid wire, there is only westone left for comfortable use.

it is not a fit issue for me, but the handling when getting them out of the box or pocket is just a shame. it is like trying to get a fishhook out.

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #248 of 1,937
I hated the memory wire at first, now I can't imagine using the SE215 without them! You get used to it and it actually becomes very comfortable and useful. I developed a "strategy" to insert them in and the memory wire makes it very easy for me to insert the SE215 in fast and consistently every time. I kind of put the memory wire first on my ear with the SE215 facing outwards, making it easier to compress the foam a bit with my fingers, and then swivel the SE215 into place and insert them into my canal.

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #249 of 1,937
I should have my 215 tomorrow. I also ordered a headphone (my first open headphone in years), The Fischer FA-011. The FA-011 also suppose to have great bass. We'll see how these two phones stack up (of course I don't expect either one to like the other sans for great bass).

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #250 of 1,937
Well got my 215's and first impressions sadly aren't great.  Having a bit of issue with the stupid memory wire.   Without the cables in I can get both pieces fitted in place and are comfortable.  With the cables attached however, by the time I get them pulled over my ear both pieces have become loose again and can't get them seated properly.   Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  First time with memory wire (and at this rate my last) so not really sure.  Had a quick listen using them flip flopped and sounded quite good so hopefully can get the wire issue sorted out.  I'll say this much, it's westone 1, shure 0 on the cables at least at this point!

Cheers

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #251 of 1,937
I felt a similar way about the memory wire on my SE425s...it was annoying at first but because quite useful once you get used to it...

Mar 24, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #252 of 1,937

Quote:
Well got my 215's and first impressions sadly aren't great.  Having a bit of issue with the stupid memory wire.   Without the cables in I can get both pieces fitted in place and are comfortable.  With the cables attached however, by the time I get them pulled over my ear both pieces have become loose again and can't get them seated properly.   Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  First time with memory wire (and at this rate my last) so not really sure.  Had a quick listen using them flip flopped and sounded quite good so hopefully can get the wire issue sorted out.  I'll say this much, it's westone 1, shure 0 on the cables at least at this point!

Cheers

Use your thumb to keep the earpiece in place while rotating the 4 fingers on top of the cable and pushing them around the back of the ear in a counter-clockwise (right ear) movement.

You can also try molding the cables first behind the back of your ear, letting the earpieces "hang" in front of your ear canal. Insert the earpieces as described above. Fine adjust the cable by repeating the same movement while keeping the earpiece in place with your thumb.

Mar 24, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #253 of 1,937

Quote:

Cheers

my '1st time' with memory wire too but its gets much easier and soon the memory wire helps you get a snug confident fit. a little frustrating at first but zero issues after a couple of days.

50 ish hours burn in in now and they haven't quite opened up at the top end as much as I'd hoped, so will continue using iTunes' 'treble boost' .  Other than that, very happy all round.

Mar 24, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #254 of 1,937

Quote:
Just order SE215 from earphone solution. Hopefully it will arrived in a week or so, since I lived in australia...how long do you guys usually burn-in the 215? since this one is dynamic instead of B/A.

mine haven't really changed after the 1st few hours, if at all (in contrast to Pana HJE900 which got better and better til I lost them). 

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #255 of 1,937

Okay, so reading through this entire thread, my interest has been piqued so intensely that I must stop lurking through the woods and lay down some inquiries!

Alright, first off, can someone compare these to MEElectronics CC51? For the time that I had them, I really enjoyed the smooth, yet clear tonality and I want to say 'timbre' (or would texture be more appropriate?) of the set, but the small-ish to average size of the soundstage put a damper on the experience for me. And just for clarification, when I say 'timbre' I'm referring to the IEMs uncanny ability to have drums sound pretty believable, though don't take me too seriously on that as the CC51 is the most expensive set I've owned for awhile (unless I get this pair).

And second, about the widest thing I can fit in my ear is a (US) quarter, maybe a bit larger than that. How does the case of the SE215 compare to a quarter in size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back