New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Mar 24, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #256 of 1,937
So I finally caved in and bought the SE215, they are in my ears as we speak, fresh out of the box without any burn in, and the sound is.. well fantastic!! I will get to that later.

First impressions, accessories wise the SE215's are real winners, a fancy pouch, 6 pairs of buds to make sure it will fit everyone's ears. A earbud cleaner is a nice touch as well.

The IEM's: The cable is VERY thick although malleable enough to be comfortable to work with. The memory wires near the IEM's themselves are stiff initially, but overtime the will wrap around your ears perfectly. The fit of the earphones are spot on as the foam buds slide into my ear easily.

Insulation: Wow these phones provide amazing isolation! I have tried both the foam as well as the rubber tips, both work extremely well with sound isolation which is a definite plus for when I take public transportation.

Sound: I have been looking for a pair of IEM's to match my M50's sound signature. I listen to a very wide variety of genres and the M50's are perfect for me as they are so versatile with a wide range of music. So far, everything from Electronic, R&B, Alternative, Rock sound great with the SE215. These IEM's go pretty low in the bass region. Mids are more pronounced than my M50's which I don't mind. High's as others said is not as strong as the mids and lows. However, I do love my Audio equipment to have punch in bass when the song calls for it, and these SE215's don't disappoint, they are punchy, clear and not at all muddy in my opinion. The soundstage is impressively large, I watched some clips from Tron Legacy and they capture many details throughout the movie well. Overall, a fine companion to my M50's.

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #257 of 1,937
So I've found that after an hour or so wearing these, they start to bother my ears. As in, physically bother, not audio fatigue!

So I thought to try other tips, also with the idea of seeing if I can brighten up the sound a tad.

I tried the small olives, and they were too small, so the mediums are my size.

The rubber tips and a pair of Shure triple flange tips (from an old IEM) sealed very well, but I felt I lost treble.

I'm pretty sure it's the bulk of the IEM which sits outside, but pressed to my inside ear which starts to bother me more than the tip itself. But it's possible that a softer tip (like Complys for example) might help a bit.

As for brightening the sound up a bit, does anybody have any suggestions on tips to try? Suggestions which can be had in or to Canada at a reasonable price, that is. It's not a show stopper, but I'm in the mood to experiment a bit.

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #259 of 1,937
Alright, I finally caved when I saw a $20 off of $99 coupon in my email inbox from Guitar Center who just so happen to have started stocking the SE215...

I got a pair of SE215's for $80 with free shipping! 
biggrin.gif
 For that price I really couldn't pass it up. I figure I will give these guys a shot and if I like them more than my V1 Eterna's than the Eterna's are going up for sale. The inverse is true as well of course, if the Eterna's win out than SE215's are hitting the for sale. Regardless I will be posting impressions when I get them, should be sometime next week since free shipping will probably take it's time getting to me.

Anyhow...for $80 I might as well give them a shot.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #260 of 1,937

Quote:
So I've found that after an hour or so wearing these, they start to bother my ears. As in, physically bother, not audio fatigue!

So I thought to try other tips, also with the idea of seeing if I can brighten up the sound a tad.

I tried the small olives, and they were too small, so the mediums are my size.

The rubber tips and a pair of Shure triple flange tips (from an old IEM) sealed very well, but I felt I lost treble.

I'm pretty sure it's the bulk of the IEM which sits outside, but pressed to my inside ear which starts to bother me more than the tip itself. But it's possible that a softer tip (like Complys for example) might help a bit.

As for brightening the sound up a bit, does anybody have any suggestions on tips to try? Suggestions which can be had in or to Canada at a reasonable price, that is. It's not a show stopper, but I'm in the mood to experiment a bit.

If you can get some Sensorcom tips are working pretty good for me. I have seen some say the Klipsch oval tips also are supposed to work.

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #262 of 1,937
Have the SE215 in my ears right now. Not yet burnt in, shop sample unit.

Quick impressions (with SM3 Biflange):

Fun bass with believable presentation.
Minor bass bleed into the midrange area, should be close to non existence post burn in.
Relatively forward presentation with doublebass and electric bass, well controlled for the most part but can be a bit sloppy.
Midrange forwardness is there, but fortunately not 'in your face.
String instruments sound playful on these :D
Upper midrange a bit grainy.
Treble takes a backseat, yet does not fade into obscurity.
Treble region is definitely detailed for a consumer oriented earphone, but lacks airiness.
Decent soundstage size.
Instrument separation is quite good too, good sense of layering here.
Very comfortable to wear for Shure :wink:

To note, the Shure Olives don't wanna play nicely with me on the SE215, completely kills off any treble and rolls of the lower bass regions too early.

I recommend trying out de-cored Shure olives paired with a Shure E2/SCL2 black silicone sleeve if you find the SE215 muffled :xf_eek:

Very fun sound, I'm considering buying it since my Klipsch Custom 3 cable is starting to give way near the strain relief, killing the sound on the left drivers :)

The only thing putting me off right now is that somewhat grainy upper midrange.

Definitely a bassy earphone, so analytical sound lovers should stay away or risk a bass fatigue.

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #263 of 1,937
I posted this in a separate thread, but it was suggested that I post it in here and see if I get a better response:

Quote:
I currently have the Shure e2's. I've had them for several years. They're still in very good shape and are used occasionally for working out and other general use. Before these I went through a handful of earbuds $100 and under as well as both the UE 5Pro and UE 5EB. I also had some of the lower end Sennheiser over the head headphones Koss KSC series clip on and over the head. I never really had any high end stuff, but I have tried quite a few headphones and earbuds over the years. I ended up liking the small size and durability of the Shure e2.

Well, now I see that Shure's newest "low end" earbud has been released and it seems to be very popular. I've seen a lot of good things, but I'm not sure if it would be a step up from my e2's. I would imagine that in 5 years earbuds would have progressed to some point, but I haven't tried any over the newer offerings (from any manufacturer), so I don't know how far things have come. I have noticed that the e2's weren't really considered the top in their class, but the 215's do seem to have gained that distinction, so I'd assume they are some amount better.

Does anyone have opinions on the difference between these two Shure models? Is it worth the upgrade?

I really have no experience with most of the newer, low end stuff that is being mentioned in this thread.  Most of the models and brands I see in the comparisons I have never even heard of!  It seems like the sub-$100 earbud market has exploded in the last 5 years or so, since I last frequented these boards.  Back when I was on here there were only a handful of choices in this range (Sony EX, Shure, Etymotic).  If someone could give me a comparison to the older model Shure's, that would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #264 of 1,937
Any comparison to Monster Turbine yet?

I posted comments about Monster Turbines back in the thread just after I got my SE215.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #265 of 1,937
hello all,  i am very new to forum

before hearing about these SE215's  i was about to buy the Klipsch S4

has anyone used them?  has anyone compared the S4 to the SE215's?

i mean EVERYONE raves about the S4's,  saying NOTHING comes close at it's price of $79,
people say they even outperform headphones in the $200-$300 range,
and everyone seems to agree they sound PHENOMENAL

i do know the S4's are not the best built,  wire thin etc,    my main thing is SOUND as im an audio geek

what do you guys think?  have you heard the Klipsch S4,   AND the SE215?
anyone?

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #266 of 1,937
I don't think the S4s are that praised here, it's flaws have been highly addressed. If there's something that's very highly praised in that price range it will have to be the Xcapes/RE-Zeros and HJE900s. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #267 of 1,937
I posted this somewhere else and really meant to post on this thread:

I should have mine today, but I wonder if anyone has heard the TS02 and compared it to the 215? I have to do a review of TS02 soon, but so far I'm really impressed with ThinkSounds' new IEM. Great bass, mids and some nice (although not too sparkly) highs. Soundstage is pretty wide to my ears too (not IE8 wide, but wide). Anyway, wondering before hand how the 215 compares if anyone has heard both? If not, I guess I'll know in a few hours (well actually, knowing the mail service where I work, I probably won't get them until Monday).

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #268 of 1,937
@musiclee:

In terms of technical capabilities, the SE215 is a step or two higher VS the Klipsch Image S4/S4i IMO. The sonic coherency of the S4 isn't on the same level compared to the SE215.

The SE215 has better soundstage and spatial layering VS the S4, and I'm gonna go on a limb here as I've neither of them for a very long time, but the SE215 feels that is has better spatial positioning VS the S4 as well (never gamed with either, so I can't judge this part with concrete confidence).

Soundstage felt larger on the SE215 and with the proper spatial layering applied, it complements the soundstage of the SE215 better VS the S4.

The SE215 has a more prominent bass region VS the S4, but the S4 hits harder. Comparing the midrange, the S4 feels dry and recessed whereas the SE215 feels more natural in this regard. The S4 has far greater treble energy compared to the treble regions of the SE215, but both earphones have a bit of a grainy upper midrange/lowertreble region.

For the record, I found the SE215 to be more comfortable compared to the S4 as well.

@xluben:

Gonna run off memory here, but the E2 (w/ Kramer Mod) doesn't have the bass presence compared the the SE215, but the control of the bass between the 2 is slightly better on the SE215 VS the E2w/KM. The SE215 has a forward midrange, but not as forward as that of the E2, and treble presence between the 2 is about the same (with treble energy going to the E2w/KM), but treble finesse goes to the SE215.

Sound sig aside, in terms of sonic coherency, spatial layering and soundstage size, the SE215 is several steps ahead of the E2 (E2 Kramer Modded w/ black E2 sleeve VS SE215 [not yet burnt in] w/ SM3 tips).

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #269 of 1,937
Quote:
@xluben:

Gonna run off memory here, but the E2 (w/ Kramer Mod) doesn't have the bass presence compared the the SE215, but the control of the bass between the 2 is slightly better on the SE215 VS the E2w/KM. The SE215 has a forward midrange, but not as forward as that of the E2, and treble presence between the 2 is about the same (with treble energy going to the E2w/KM), but treble finesse goes to the SE215.

Sound sig aside, in terms of sonic coherency, spatial layering and soundstage size, the SE215 is several steps ahead of the E2 (E2 Kramer Modded w/ black E2 sleeve VS SE215 [not yet burnt in] w/ SM3 tips).

Thank you for the comments.  Do you have a link to the Kramer Mod?  I believe that just involves pulling out the little disc at the tip of the earpiece.  It was my understanding that this would bring forward the mids/highs a bit more.  I never did the mod because I hate harsh highs and feared that it would be too much for me.  I do like a lot of bass and a forward midrange.  Can you confirm what changes the Kramer Mod does for the e2's?  If it brings out some more bass without much added harshness, maybe I'll give it a shot.  It sounds like these would be a definite step up, but I'm not sure if it's worth replacing the e2's...

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #270 of 1,937
To me, the most prominent thing that the Kramer Mod does to the E2 is to tighten the bass up and bring in some treble presence.

As for the link to the Kramer Mod, this is the thread from the man himself:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/131100/e2c-mod-56k-warning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back