NEW! SENDY AUDIO AIVA Impressions?
Apr 20, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #286 of 714
Apr 20, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #288 of 714
Apr 21, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #290 of 714
I've had my Aiva for a few days now and so far I really enjoy them. I don't think there the end all be all like a lot of people but they are very good and well worth $600. Definitely on the brighter side but not so much so that there harsh. Mids are recessed but not as bad as I thought they might be. Since I don't have any headphones that sound like this its a nice change of pace for me.

Apr 22, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #291 of 714
And sometimes... "Sayonara, good riddance, hope the door doesn't hit you on the way out". :)

Just make sure she does not take your headphones when she leaves......:)

Let her have the cat, the dog, the Big Screen, but not the Sendys, or the Hifiman, or the Stax, or the Senns.
But take the cat.....sure.

Apr 22, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #292 of 714
I've had my Aiva for a few days now and so far I really enjoy them. I don't think there the end all be all like a lot of people but they are very good and well worth $600. Definitely on the brighter side but not so much so that there harsh. Mids are recessed but not as bad as I thought they might be. Since I don't have any headphones that sound like this its a nice change of pace for me.

Examining all your music through the voice of all your headphones.
Its like eating a lot of different ice cream flavors, and loving them all because they all taste different, and yet, its all good.

Apr 22, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #293 of 714
I feel ya, and no worries. Always best to list current gear in case someone is looking for a comparo. Can't help without the gear on hand.

I need to update my bio.
I said i had not listed my last 10 headphones but, its my last 20 i have not listed.
I did review quite a few of them here, so maybe that will help.....:)

Apr 22, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #294 of 714

Florida is a great State.
Sugar white beaches, lovely tans all around if the Summer has Sun, & lots of fun to be found if you are into having any.
Its a southern State that does not have a "deep south" mentality.
Its Unique in the known universe.
It reminds me of Israel. Its freedom loving, its beautiful, its filled with fine musicians and artists and educated peoples, it has a beautiful coast, and everyone is trying to go there..........

Thank you for the kind words about the state of my childhood. FL receives a lot of bad flak from all the negative news and such. It is truly unique with wonderful beaches, natural springs, a diving nirvana and for culture/history be sure and visit St. Augustine, oldest founded city in US. Anyway back to the topic. I am almost sold on the Aiva but now Takstar may be releasing a planar with the same driver?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/takstar-hf-580-planar-headphones.904483/page-2 this will be one to keep an eye on too. Same driver as Aiva for $170 bucks. Probably gonna need a lot of mods to get it up to par though.
I ordered one to compare to Aiva and because I'm an addict.

Hmm, could be worth waiting if they make it with removable cables to add balanced. I have a pair of the their closed Pro82's and was pleased with the performance for a bargain. I do appreciate the aesthetic beauty of the Aiva's but if the Takstar's have comparable sound quality then I could lean toward it. My primary planar set now is the HE-4XX and looking to add another to my collection.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #295 of 714
Thank you for the kind words about the state of my childhood. FL receives a lot of bad flak from all the negative news and such. It is truly unique with wonderful beaches, natural springs, a diving nirvana and for culture/history be sure and visit St. Augustine, oldest founded city in US. Anyway back to the topic. I am almost sold on the Aiva but now Takstar may be releasing a planar with the same driver?

My home is in Israel, so, when i visit a state in the States, i can feel each culture.
Florida, is, unlike any other Southern State, in culture, and ive visited many.
Its a different mindset there, perhaps because so many from all over the world live there, and so many from Northern States, retire there.
Quite a melting pot.
Lovely place.

I think the frame design of the Sendy has created its Soundstage to be more close focused and less wide.
You have the metal plates with hundreds of perforations in them that constrain the sound so that its more focused like a Closed Headphone.
Im sure the designer tried them with and without, and must have preferred the sound with the plates installed.
Im not a modder, but i could see where a Modder would have to find out....:)

Apr 22, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #296 of 714

My home is in Israel, so, when i visit a state in the States, i can feel each culture.
Florida, is, unlike any other Southern State, in culture, and ive visited many.
Its a different mindset there, perhaps because so many from all over the world live there, and so many from Northern States, retire there.
Quite a melting pot.
Lovely place.

I think the frame design of the Sendy has created its Soundstage to be more close focused and less wide.
You have the metal plates with hundreds of perforations in them that constrain the sound so that its more focused like a Closed Headphone.
Im sure the designer tried them with and without, and must have preferred the sound with the plates installed.
Im not a modder, but i could see where a Modder would have to find out....:)
Probably why I will return these. Its too small and if they stay I will HAVE to remove those plates. What is the point of a small planar?

No matter how one listens you can't escape the smallness of these cans...

Apr 22, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #297 of 714
FullBright1, Thank you for the insights and impressions on the Aiva. I did a little bit of modding on the Fostex T50RP planar driver but it did not work out for me that much. Adding some foam and cotton to the cups made the high frequencies too hot for my ears.
I recently joined the forum over the weekend so I'll update my Bio as soon as I'm granted access and list the audio equipment I own and used. My background is science and engineering and I enjoy discussions on tech and music. When I was younger I played classical guitar and 5-string banjo. Been too many years since I picked those up and I'm out of practice. Now that my children are taking lessons in piano and violin I'm inspired to re-learn.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #298 of 714
Probably why I will return these. Its too small and if they stay I will HAVE to remove those plates. What is the point of a small planar?

No matter how one listens you can't escape the smallness of these cans...

As compared, (soundstage) to the Alara or the Neumann , the Sendy's soundstage is very similar.
The Ananda or the HEXv2 both have a massive soundstage as compared to the Sendys, however, they are both very large Headphones.
The Sendy also places the driver close to your ear.
Perhaps the reason that massive soundstage is produce by massive headphones, is self explanatory.
Ive never heard a small soundstage being committed by a set of Planers, if the distance from the driver to your ear isn't close.
The Audeze Sine is a small Planar, the driver sits next to your ear, and the soundstage perspective is very small.
The Sendys are a small headphone, and their drivers are not recessed...
Ive not heard the Senn HD800, but i would bet that their drivers are not close to your ears.....:)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #299 of 714
FullBright1, Thank you for the insights and impressions on the Aiva. I did a little bit of modding on the Fostex T50RP planar driver but it did not work out for me that much. Adding some foam and cotton to the cups made the high frequencies too hot for my ears.
I recently joined the forum over the weekend so I'll update my Bio as soon as I'm granted access and list the audio equipment I own and used. My background is science and engineering and I enjoy discussions on tech and music. When I was younger I played classical guitar and 5-string banjo. Been too many years since I picked those up and I'm out of practice. Now that my children are taking lessons in piano and violin I'm inspired to re-learn.

Welcome to the Land of Amplified Public Opinion.
All ears are welcome to tell us what you hear ...:)
One of the members here was just o'pining the fact that the Sendys are not giving them the soundstage and overall sonic impression of "large scale sound".
Perhaps you can tell us if its possible to build a small headphone, using the same driver you will use to build a headphone that is 2x as large, in area/space, and build both and have the smaller one, sound as "soundstage wide" as the larger headphone.
Is this possible? As i think of being inside of a car, that is inside of a very large cave. No matter what you do, you can't get the same soundstage inside that car, as you can get inside that large cave, outside the car.
Another way to think of it ......Say you are in a room, and the room has a small closet. You take your speakers and set them up in the room.....and you set them up also in the closet.
When you hear them, the room is going to be perceived as a larger space, because it IS, and that is soundstage..... whereas in the small closet.....small soundstage.
So, how can it be any different if you have the same driver inside a small cup, vs, the same driver inside a very large cup?
Is if feasible to expect a small set of planar headphones to complete (soundstage) with a much larger set of headphones?
Lets say you move the driver back as far as you can, away from the ear, inside the small cup, and you then take the driver in the large cup and you move it half the distance to the ear as related to the position of the driver in the small cup?
You still have a situation where the internal size of the larger space is going to present sound "larger" then a small space.
What is the workaround?
How do you get the soundstage inside a smaller headphone cup space, to sound as large as the soundstage in a larger headphone cup space, using identical drivers?
And in some ways, isn't this issue of perception <> disappointment, exactly the same thing that happens when you spend $3000 on a closed set of headphones, and the first thing you notice is that compared to even a $400 set of open headphones, the soundstage is smaller ..(no matter how many reviews you read by PRO reviewers who got their $3000 set for free, and said things about soundstage that actually are not true), that you found out after you spent all that money because of their review?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #300 of 714
Welcome to the Land of Amplified Public Opinion.
All ears are welcome to tell us what you hear ...:)
One of the members here was just o'pining the fact that the Sendys are not giving them the soundstage and overall sonic impression of "large scale sound".
Perhaps you can tell us if its possible to build a small headphone, using the same driver you will use to build a headphone that is 2x as large, in area/space, and build both and have the smaller one, sound as "soundstage wide" as the larger headphone.
Is this possible? As i think of being inside of a car, that is inside of a very large cave. No matter what you do, you can't get the same soundstage inside that car, as you can get inside that large cave, outside the car.
Another way to think of it ......Say you are in a room, and the room has a small closet. You take your speakers and set them up in the room.....and you set them up also in the closet.
When you hear them, the room is going to be perceived as a larger space, because it IS, and that is soundstage..... whereas in the small closet.....small soundstage.
So, how can it be any different if you have the same driver inside a small cup, vs, the same driver inside a very large cup?
Is if feasible to expect a small set of planar headphones to complete (soundstage) with a much larger set of headphones?
Lets say you move the driver back as far as you can, away from the ear, inside the small cup, and you then take the driver in the large cup and you move it half the distance to the ear as related to the position of the driver in the small cup?
You still have a situation where the internal size of the larger space is going to present sound "larger" then a small space.
What is the workaround?
How do you get the soundstage inside a smaller headphone cup space, to sound as large as the soundstage in a larger headphone cup space, using identical drivers?
And in some ways, isn't this issue of perception <> disappointment, exactly the same thing that happens when you spend $3000 on a closed set of headphones, and the first thing you notice is that compared to even a $400 set of open headphones, the soundstage is smaller ..(no matter how many reviews you read by PRO reviewers who got their $3000 set for free, and said things about soundstage that actually are not true), that you found out after you spent all that money because of their review?
These are open headphones. In your cave analogy, rolling down the windows is a good start.

The Sendy cup is actually thicker than planars I have and would be more like the room in your analogy than the closet. Their cups are twice as thick as the M1060 and the drivers seem to be a similar distance from your ears yet the m1060 is much bigger, so these analogies don't seem to fit if I am the member here you are talking about.

The reviews seem to mention the abnormally small sound stage at least the last one posted called it out specifically. Not sure why the chose such a small sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back