NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Jan 12, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #1,816 of 2,168
  @inertianinja, nice work there.  Any issues with cooling? or does the vertical orientation cool better?

We'll have to see about the cooling. I haven't tested it yet. I have a hard time believing that it'll be much different just because it's sideways, but the current design does block the bottom vents. I have to try put a channel in the bottom to allow some air in there. In any case it's not like i'm running them in a total enclosure or under a blanket!

Even so, I think the main cooling mechanism for these amps is the chassis as a big heat sink. If anything I think there's more room for air to touch the surfaces (certainly for the Bifrost), but I will do some testing to see.

Even if the cooling is a bit compromised, I'm not *too* worried about it because I never run the amp for more than a few hours at a time.

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #1,819 of 2,168
When it's HOT, you know that it's working
cool.gif
but I've never had a tube amp/ preamp whose volume knob gets so hot too. Even my 1/4" jack gets very warm. I had to put a plate in between the Lyr and my DAC.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #1,823 of 2,168
Hey guys!

Are you using tube savers? If yes, which onewould you recommend me?

Best,
Steve

I've been using these for a while now, no problmes and construction is really nice

http://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_1960s_NOS_British_McMurdo_B9A_p/novib-mcmurdo.htm

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #1,827 of 2,168
  Does anyone know if HIGH gain is automatically biased to class A/B? With my TH900, it sounds noticeably more strident and sibilant than LOW gain with the stock tubes. LOW gain is much smoother and more refined.

While I try to optimize my PC for as quiet as possible I found that the location of the PC is just as important to how much noise I hear from it and since I usually need to have the AC on it really doesn't matter much since the AC system has more noise than the PC its a moot point.  Also, if you choose fans that are quiet and control the speed there is very little noise.
@applebook:
I'm not sure, but I have noticed the same with my LCD-2r1s.

I haven't noticed any difference between low or high gain, I use it mainly to get better range on the volume pot.  Since most of the headphones that I use with the Lyr2 are higher impedance or not very efficient (HD-700, HE-560, and HD-650) I usually leave it at the high gain setting.

Jan 28, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #1,829 of 2,168
  Is it just me, or is it near impossible to find a pair of LISSTs?

Not just you, I'm wondering if they're not producing any? otherwise, they may just not be meeting demand on them. I hope there's nothing wrong with them

Jan 28, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #1,830 of 2,168
Schiit show them as out of stock but no date to when they will be available again so they might not be making them anymore.  FWIW I tried a pair and sold them right after that, a little to dry and thin sounding for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back