NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Nov 5, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #1,786 of 2,168
My stack is on the way, hoping to have it next week :). Then, it'll be time to book a listening session with an LCD 2.2 (vegan one) and certainly buy it :D

Then, tube rolling but I'd like to stay with stock tubes for a while (you say empty wallet?)

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #1,787 of 2,168
Question for you guys, and I really would appreciate some help. I am trying to choose between the Schiit Jotunheim vs Lyr 2 to better drive my Hifiman 400i's than my Vali 1. I listen to essentially 100% vinyl on my Technics 1200 with a Denon DL110 cart and a Lounge LCR phono stage.  I listen primarily to metal, progressive rock and newer progressive metal, as well as classic rock. I want a warm sound with good low end but what I really price is wider soundstage, detail, great bass, clear mids, and treble that is not harsh and something that will help tame any sibilance or anything too bright, which is in a lot of metal recordings, unfortunately.  I'm really not sure what to do! Lyr 2 with tubes rolling to experiment with different sound signatures or the Jotunheim 100% solid state with balanced cables? Any insight or help is greatly appreciated.

The Lyr 2 has more power for SE cables, but obviously the Jot has the option of a balanced cable to deliver even more power. 

Frequency response is the only other differences in the specs. 

Lyr 2: Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-500KHz, -3dB
Jot: Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-700KHz, -3dB

This may be a stupid question, but does a wider frequency response mean a wider soundstage? 

Also, what does BALANCED headphones even really mean, technically speaking?

Nov 6, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #1,788 of 2,168
Question for you guys, and I really would appreciate some help. I am trying to choose between the Schiit Jotunheim vs Lyr 2 to better drive my Hifiman 400i's than my Vali 1. I listen to essentially 100% vinyl on my Technics 1200 with a Denon DL110 cart and a Lounge LCR phono stage. [COLOR=141414] I listen primarily to metal, progressive rock and newer progressive metal, as well as classic rock. I want a warm sound with good low end but what I really price is wider soundstage, detail, great bass, clear mids, and treble that is not harsh and something that will help tame any sibilance or anything too bright, which is in a lot of metal recordings, unfortunately.  I'm really not sure what to do! Lyr 2 with tubes rolling to experiment with different sound signatures or the Jotunheim 100% solid state with balanced cables? Any insight or help is greatly appreciated.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=141414]The Lyr 2 has more power for SE cables, but obviously the Jot has the option of a balanced cable to deliver even more power. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=141414]Frequency response is the only other differences in the specs. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=141414]Lyr 2: [/COLOR]Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-500KHz, -3dB
[COLOR=141414]Jot: [/COLOR]Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-700KHz, -3dB

This may be a stupid question, but does a wider frequency response mean a wider soundstage? 

There are good write ups around the web about what balanced actually does. I'll just point out that balanced =/= better than single ended.

I had a Jot on loaner and own a Lyr 2 now. The Jot is fantastic. I would probably recommend it over the Lyr 2 for most headphones. However I find the 400i to be a bit on the brighter side and really forward. The Jot is already a rather forward amp so the synergy likely wouldn't be very good. I have a 560 on my Lyr 2 and the pairing is great. The Lyr 2 is a little more laid back than the Jot. Also gain the ability to roll tubes or even solid state with LISST tubes.

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #1,789 of 2,168
There are good write ups around the web about what balanced actually does. I'll just point out that balanced =/= better than single ended.

I had a Jot on loaner and own a Lyr 2 now. The Jot is fantastic. I would probably recommend it over the Lyr 2 for most headphones. However I find the 400i to be a bit on the brighter side and really forward. The Jot is already a rather forward amp so the synergy likely wouldn't be very good. I have a 560 on my Lyr 2 and the pairing is great. The Lyr 2 is a little more laid back than the Jot. Also gain the ability to roll tubes or even solid state with LISST tubes.

Thank you for your input. I definitely don't want to be battling sibilance and harsh highs. 

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #1,790 of 2,168
Just received my new Lyr2 with a Bimby. Everything works perfectly but the Lyr2 gets really hot after less than an hour of listening, especially the volume knob and the top. As my previous amp doesn't have this "problem" (maybe it's a feature haha?), I'd like to be sure that this is perfectly normal?

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #1,791 of 2,168

Quote:
Just received my new Lyr2 with a Bimby. Everything works perfectly but the Lyr2 gets really hot after less than an hour of listening, especially the volume knob and the top. As my previous amp doesn't have this "problem" (maybe it's a feature haha?), I'd like to be sure that this is perfectly normal?

it get hot, I've been using a small usb powered fan to keep it at a warm temp versus hot temp:

you can see the fan between the Ember and the Lyr2

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #1,792 of 2,168
Hi David,

Thank's for your answer, I think I don't need to worry any more. As we don't have scorching temps here in Switzerland (
biggrin.gif
) I believe it won't be a problem!

I'm waiting for my LCD-2 to come this afternoon. By the way, do I have to set the gain on high for these? I currently have an old AKG K302 the father temporarly lent me but I left the switch on low...

Nov 10, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #1,793 of 2,168
  Hi David,

Thank's for your answer, I think I don't need to worry any more. As we don't have scorching temps here in Switzerland (
biggrin.gif
) I believe it won't be a problem!

I'm waiting for my LCD-2 to come this afternoon. By the way, do I have to set the gain on high for these? I currently have an old AKG K302 the father temporarly lent me but I left the switch on low...

using the high or low gain depends on the source for me, since both of my DACs output about 2v I can use either high or low for most headphones.  Only the HE-560 requires that it be on high, even in high gain the volume knob is at 2-3 position.

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #1,794 of 2,168
  using the high or low gain depends on the source for me, since both of my DACs output about 2v I can use either high or low for most headphones.  Only the HE-560 requires that it be on high, even in high gain the volume knob is at 2-3 position.

Do you mean 2-3 O'Clock?? If that's the case.. wow. My ears would be bleeding if I did that. In fact, I get worried about damaging the headphones above 12 O'Clock when on high gain. If you mean 1-2 out of 10 on the dial, then that matches my experience as well. I normally run at 9-10 O'Clock on low gain.

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #1,795 of 2,168
  Do you mean 2-3 O'Clock?? If that's the case.. wow. My ears would be bleeding if I did that. In fact, I get worried about damaging the headphones above 12 O'Clock when on high gain. If you mean 1-2 out of 10 on the dial, then that matches my experience as well. I normally run at 9-10 O'Clock on low gain.

2-3 O'clock, the HE-560 is not very efficient, but it you also need to consider the output level of your source/DAC so its hard to compare volume level based on position of knob.  My listening level is about 64-76db, not very loud.

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #1,798 of 2,168
  Schiit Jotunheim vs Lyr 2

Well I can't tell you what will be best for you, but I can tell you I chose the Lyr 2.

The Jotunheim is really impressive, especially at the price point. It is among the least "colored" amps I have ever listened to, if that is a priority for you. If you have anything balanced, or are considering going balanced in the future, it's an easy decision. The option of the on-board DAC or Phono card also gives you a couple of great options. If you plan on continuing to use your existing phono stage, you could opt for the DAC card and be ready for digital at any time. If you wanted to clean up your setup and eliminate some extra components, the phono stage is your best bet. It runs cool and is a perfect, clean solution for someone wanting to buy and be done with it.

The Lyr 2 sacrifices the DAC / phono option, as well as balanced operation. In return, you get the option of running with tubes or in full solid state with LISST. It's a little bigger, it gets alarmingly hot, but it sounds amazing. Does it sound better than the Jotunheim? I can't answer that for you. Ultimately, I chose the Lyr for a few reasons. One, I don't have anything balanced and don't feel a real urge to go that way. Two, I do all of my vinyl listening on a living room two channel setup. My headphones are used purely in line with a computer. Three, the DAC card option was of no use to me as I intend to add a multibit Bifrost in the near future (as a bonus, the Lyr and Bifrost have identical chassis).

Either way you go, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the result.

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #1,799 of 2,168
Figured I would add my first post, since I got this amp and am loving it, preferred to my Geek Pulse Xfi, which is now running as the DAC. Got them, enjoyed it, bought some NOS National 7DJ8 tubes, heard the differences, and am having a good time with them overall. really love the width and convincing quality of the soundstage and how refined the treble is. Great product
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #1,800 of 2,168
  Question for you guys, and I really would appreciate some help. I am trying to choose between the Schiit Jotunheim vs Lyr 2 to better drive my Hifiman 400i's than my Vali 1. I listen to essentially 100% vinyl on my Technics 1200 with a Denon DL110 cart and a Lounge LCR phono stage.  I listen primarily to metal, progressive rock and newer progressive metal, as well as classic rock. I want a warm sound with good low end but what I really price is wider soundstage, detail, great bass, clear mids, and treble that is not harsh and something that will help tame any sibilance or anything too bright, which is in a lot of metal recordings, unfortunately.  I'm really not sure what to do! Lyr 2 with tubes rolling to experiment with different sound signatures or the Jotunheim 100% solid state with balanced cables? Any insight or help is greatly appreciated.

The Lyr 2 has more power for SE cables, but obviously the Jot has the option of a balanced cable to deliver even more power. 

Frequency response is the only other differences in the specs. 

Lyr 2: Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-500KHz, -3dB
Jot: Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-700KHz, -3dB

Well I can't tell you what will be best for you, but I can tell you I chose the Lyr 2.

The Jotunheim is really impressive, especially at the price point. It is among the least "colored" amps I have ever listened to, if that is a priority for you. If you have anything balanced, or are considering going balanced in the future, it's an easy decision. The option of the on-board DAC or Phono card also gives you a couple of great options. If you plan on continuing to use your existing phono stage, you could opt for the DAC card and be ready for digital at any time. If you wanted to clean up your setup and eliminate some extra components, the phono stage is your best bet. It runs cool and is a perfect, clean solution for someone wanting to buy and be done with it.

The Lyr 2 sacrifices the DAC / phono option, as well as balanced operation. In return, you get the option of running with tubes or in full solid state with LISST. It's a little bigger, it gets alarmingly hot, but it sounds amazing. Does it sound better than the Jotunheim? I can't answer that for you. Ultimately, I chose the Lyr for a few reasons. One, I don't have anything balanced and don't feel a real urge to go that way. Two, I do all of my vinyl listening on a living room two channel setup. My headphones are used purely in line with a computer. Three, the DAC card option was of no use to me as I intend to add a multibit Bifrost in the near future (as a bonus, the Lyr and Bifrost have identical chassis).

Either way you go, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the result.

The Denon DL110 is a Moving Coil system, so the Phono stage of the Jot won't be working. It's only for Moving Magnet systems.

I'm in the same boat as you atm. I even got the Denon DL110 too and prefer the same sort of Music
beerchug.gif

After considering the options for a while i did decide to pick the Mani + Lyr 2 with both tubes. And in case i wanna connect something else than my Vinyl record Player I will just grab a DAC from Schiit afterwards :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back