NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Dec 23, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,804 of 2,168
new MacBook doesn't like the bifrost and lyrics 2

I bought the usb c to usb b cable and it is telling me the bifrost is asking for too much power and putting up an alert

could my new cable be the issue?

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #1,805 of 2,168
It's possible - but only if the cable is actually bad. (Cables don't draw power unless they're shorted.)

I hadn't heard about MacBooks having trouble running USB devices but it's possible (new ones are always different). Portables like the iPhones, along with requiring a special adapter, also limit their output power - and won't run portable DACs and such - but still shouldn't have trouble with an AC-powered one.

I would suggest:

1) Look for "power saver" settings and the like in the config.
2) Try another cable.
3) Try a powered hub.
4) If you haven't already, try the DAC on another device (make sure its USB input is OK).

Quote:
  new MacBook doesn't like the bifrost and lyrics 2

I bought the usb c to usb b cable and it is telling me the bifrost is asking for too much power and putting up an alert

could my new cable be the issue?

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #1,806 of 2,168
I'm an audio equipment enthusiast but a relatively casual listener new to impressions, not able to discern some of the finer differences like the experts, so take what I say with at least a grain of salt. I could, however, tell differences between the v850 and Bifrost Uber DAC's. The main difference between the DAC's was that the v850 didn't produce a metallic tinge like the Bifrost. I was also able to tell the differences between the Beyer T90 and HifiMan HE-1000 headphones (and a couple of other cheaper ones that I have). So, I'm not completely tone deaf :tongue_smile: . I am comparing today:

Violectric v850 RCA (unbalanced) -> Schiit Lyr 2 with "Amperex 7308 vintage gold pin! (Select Grade: Platinum Grade, Cryogenically Treated: No, Matching: Included)" from Upscale Audio

vs.

Violectric v850 XLR (balanced) -> Violectric V281 single-ended (unbalanced) out

A/B tested (not blind) with a pair of Beyer T90's & HE-1K's (single ended cable), volume matched. Sescom 3.5mm A/B switch, and a couple of Amazon basics 3.5mm cables. No special cables for the setup except the seller's in-house RCA / XLR DAC -> amp internconnects.

Impressions: The difference between the Lyr 2 with the Amperex tubes and v281 is virtually indistinguishable to me; to my ears, switching between the two amps made no difference to my ears. As far as the sound itself, I parrot other impressions that it just sounded "correct." What I'm saying is not that the v281 isn't a stellar amp for its price - its quite the authoritative amp especially with hard-to-drive headphones according to the experts - but that there comes a point where one just doesn't have any problems with the quality of sound through one's setup, the music simply being quite enjoyable. The Lyr 2 with a good DAC is clearly beyond that threshold, and the bottom line is that I enjoyed music listening out of both, hearing no noticeable flaws in sound out of either amp.  So the Lyr 2 with a great DAC and tubes punches way above its price point. With the Lyr 2 money-wise you can be pretty sure that you're both getting your money's worth and will enjoy the sound. So, given enough financial resources, if you're a casual listener or don't have "golden ears" (even with tested excellent hearing like me) I'd devote more funds to a quality set of headphones and a quality DAC instead of buying an amp more expensive than the Lyr 2. Like the V281, the Lyr 2 eats up anything thrown at it and doesn't change the sound much.

Note: The v281 in SE mode is basically the v220, because they both use the same amp chips. I have the balanced input cable for the HE-1K's but I can't A/B test with them because of my setup.

Hello , happy new year!
Did you make more tests and comparisons? I have made the same comparison between lyr and v280 with sennheiser hd 800 and did notice a considerably difference in details, musicality and bass with the violectric

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #1,807 of 2,168

I have the HD800s and the Lyr - awesome pairing!  I did recable my HDs with the Moon Black Dragon V2 (nice improvement and tamed that sibilance issue).

I had the highly regarded Woo WA6-SE when I bought the Lyr for a second system.  I sold the Woo - the Lyr - with the right tubes was better.  Way more dynamic and exciting.  I spent a year rolling every tube I could find - both Recs and Outputs - in the Woo.  I had it sounding very good - extremely smooth.  But once I heard the Lyr it was a bit shocking.  No where near as smooth as the Woo with the stock tubes - but after a few months tube rolling in the Lyr (most of my 1000 posts are on the Lyr tube rolling thread) I found the 'right' tubes.  The results were magical.  Sold the Woo.

The Lyr and the Lyr2 are very sensitive to tube changes - so some experimentation is needed.

BTW I did try a pair of HE-500s with the Moon cable - I preferred the HD800s.  Bigger sound stage and more comfortable to wear.  The bass on the HD800s is really improved with the Moon cable.  Sold the HE500s

Happy new year RB2013

Sorry to re-open this thread! But i saw your opinion and I need some senior advice in this matter.
I have read several times that the 300-600 ohm output in LYR is not enough to open up the sennheiser 800 real potential.
People recommend woo 6SE and woo 22 very much, and other like the schiit valhalla.
But your impressions in this matter are really interesting. 
Do you think that opinion (300-600 ohm output in LYR is not enough to open up the sennheiser 800 real potential.) is a myth??
I have a LYR and was preparing myself for a AMP upgrade with HD800
But after read your post, i going to hold my money for a while.

Hope you can help me

cheers mate!

david
jecklinsmile.gif

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #1,808 of 2,168
@Dvdlucena, after reading your post above and owning the Lyr2 and HD-800 this is my suggestion

The Lyr2 with the right tubes will drive the HD-800 quite well but just remember that the "right" tubes might be quite pricy bringing the total cost up quite a bit.

To me my BH Crack pairs much better than the Lyr2 but again you will need to roll some tubes to get the sound right, but it will be at a lower cost than going with the Lyr2 but since the BH Crack is a DIY project unless you can find one already built.  Its not a hard build but if you never did something like it before it will take some time.

Yesterday a fellow Headfier came by with his Feliks Elise, even with the stock tubes it pairs very well with the HD-800, one of the better pairing IMO and for the price one of the best values.  I also got to use my friends Liquid Glass for a week earlier this month and paired with the HD-800 its about as good as it gets but for the price it should be.

The other amp that I've tried with the HD-800 with decent results is the Project Ember, one of the most flexible amps around and much simpler to roll tubes since you only need to change 1 tube versus looking for matched pairs with the Lyr2.

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #1,810 of 2,168
Hopefully someone can share what their settings are for using their Lyr 2 with Fostex Tx0RP MK2 and MK3 headphones. I've been using high because the headphones are quite power hungry, but I'm now unsure whether or not I should use it or use Low Gain.

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #1,813 of 2,168
My Lyr 2 arrived today !!!
I have it hooked up to my 2 channel stereo system consisting of
solid state Usher amp/pre amp.
I am using Beyerdynamic Amiron Home Headphones (also a recent purchase).
Previously, I was using a Project entry level headphone amp.
I hooked up the Lyr 2 and let it warm up for about 10 minutes.
My first impressions were the improvement in the bass and the vocals was off the charts.
I didn't find the treble overbearing at all.
I am using the stock tubes and have a set of LISST tubes on their way.
Will be interested in hearing the difference.
I have it on high gain right now.
First CD I played was Clapton Slowhand SACD....Lay Down Sally just sounded superb, especially the background vocals.
I am soooooooo excited.
Glen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back