NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Feb 12, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #1,846 of 2,168
Got some nice headphones there and the LCD-3 is a nice one but like all LCD series they are just too heavy for me, even with the Lohb Strap.  I haven't heard a Ether Flow yet but have heard the Ether and Ether C, both didn't really get me excited, but its just a personal thing.

Since you live in Asia you might want to look at the Teac HA-501, like the Ember it can adjust the output impedance to better match different headphones and is close to neutral to me.  The Lyr2 is good but the tubes can get a little pricy since they use those that are quite commonly used in many different amps so the effect of supply and demand drove up the prices a lot over the last 2-3 years.

To give you a better idea this is what I used for the headphones that we have in common:
EL8: usually use the headphone output of my UD-301 DAC or from Xonar DG soundcard connected to front panel jack, Lyr2 doesn't show any improvements
K7XX: usually a BH Crack or Ember, its sounds better with a slightly higher output impedance amp versus the Lyr2
Phillips X1/X2 (sold X1, returned X2): Asgard2 since its a touch on the bright side and both headphones are on the warm side
LCD-2: Lyr2, seems like these 2 have good synergy between them
When I tried the Ether & Ether C they both sounded best on a friends Liquid Carbon or MicroZOTL2
The Omni that my friend has sound great out of his Hugo and pretty good with the Lyr2

I heard omni with lyr (rolled tube) it sound damn good. Since then i was craving for lyr. I saw people are saying Audeze deckard has great synergy with the companies current line up. I didnt hear deckard but i want to. As sound is a personal preference, i prefer it to hear first then buy which is not possible here. Only we can audit which our friends have. Your guide was pin point perfect. Thanks for your valuable time. :)

Feb 12, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #1,847 of 2,168
  The Lyr hasn't been updated in a while. Short of improving power supplies in ways that simply wouldn't fit in the chassis, I wonder whether Lyr 3 could be the fabled "Jotuntubes" with the pivot point topology and balanced ins and outs. 

I predict a Mjonlir/Gumby-sized "Jotuntubes", which would also have the option of a (larger) DAC or phono board.  The DAC would be multibit, performing somewhere in between a Bimby and a Gumby, and the phono board performing along the lines of an upcoming (tube-based?) Bifrost-sized Mani Uber.

/end speculation.

I'd happily take the phono version.  Hell, I'd take two (one with the DAC for the bedroom).

In the meantime, my Lyr 2 with great tubes is keeping me quite content.  Was listening to some MFSL classical releases (through my Bimby) last night on my two channel system, and later my Kaede II IEMs.  It was sublime.

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #1,848 of 2,168
Upgrading to a Schiit Lyr 2 & the Next Step

I am a newcomer to this forum and this is a synopsis of my experience of upgrading a modest 'starter audiophile' system, so far. There may be people in a similar situation to my own looking to do the same. I am not an expert on audio equipment..but willing to learn. In the end, I just want good sounding music.

For my first step on the audio ladder, I bought an Aune X1s, combined DAC & Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp (€250 unit made in China), powered by Aune's optional linear PS and fed by a Sonore microRendu. Headphones are HD650. The microRendu was my first upgrade item and that made a credible difference. It makes a modest system sound remarkably good. 

In deciding what to upgrade next, I decided the internal headphone amplifier on the X1s was probably the weakest link, rather than the DAC or the headphones. After a bit of research, it came down to one of two Schiit amplifiers...the LYR 2 or MJOLNIR 2.  I had seen lots of good reports on both as a match for my Senn HD650 and possible future upgrade of those. I also quite like Schiit's approach to things. In the end, I wasn't convinced that the MJOLNIR would give me a big enough sonic difference for the price, especially as I wasn't going to benefit from balanced operation, so I settled on the Lyr 2. But it was a close thing, thinking about the future.

The Lyr 2 is nearly twice the price of the X1s DAC/Amp but I decided if I was to upgrade, it would be a reasonable leap upwards in the hope that I would hear an appreciable difference.

I will use my own sound experience descriptions rather than necessarily trying to fit into the usual technical categories that I see used...as I'm not entirely sure I understand what some of them mean in relation to my own listening.

This is my first experience of valves (vacuum tubes). I heard people saying the tube sound is 'warmer', which led me to think that meant less detail. I could not have been more wrong. The LYR 2 hybrid design may have helped satisfy my own expectations...I'm not sure.
The difference between the Aune X1s internal Headphone Amplifier and Lyr 2 is significant. and the HD650 work really well with this pairing. It's when you listen to the HD650 through a decent amp that you get excellent results from them. No question. I have the volume on the Lyr usually at around 11.30 in lo-gain, so not too loud, which is typical for my listening.

Initial listening:-
There was a definite improved tonal quality of both vocals and instruments, producing a much more realistic sound all round. The whole thing is more musical and involving.
I also detected more detail, particularly noticeable on guitar. Kris Schulz's While the City Sleeps is excellent here..his finger-slides up and down the fingerboard are so lifelike with fine nuances. With this added detail is greater and better sounding attack and decay. Cymbals have a lovely lasting 'shimmer' to them on certain recordings, especially jazz.
Bass frequencies have more authority & weight behind them and do seem to go 'lower' than before. Drums and precision bass-guitar respectively 'thwack'  and 'grumble' more explicitly. Kick-drum has plenty of 'tight thump'. Rim shots & tom-toms are more convincing. Acoustic double-bass on jazz tracks is rich and articulate.
Finally, the stage as a whole is wider & deeper & and more distinct, with greater ambience and lingering, detailed echoes.

I started listening after only about 4 hours of 'warm-up' from box-opening (couldn't wait any longer !) and I imagine that things will get better. The whole experience is more musically enjoyable and less tiring on the ears. I find myself looking for more and more music to re-discover with this upgrade. Maybe that's the 'tube' effect. I do find that the Lyr 2 needs 2-3 tracks of playing at the start of each listening session after switch-on before producing its best.

I think I was right to concentrate on the Amplifier side of the equation. The DAC of the X1S with a microRendu is rather good through the Lyr 2, to my ears, anyway. 

In my opinion, the Schiit Lyr 2 is an excellent choice with my setup and reasonable value for money. I now 'totally get' this audiophile quest for good sounding music that I see everyone banging on about.

Question is, as I consider a further upgrade of the DAC part of the system, which way should I go for the next 'reasonable' leap which would be a good match for the Lyr 2 ? Might that be a Bifrost, Gungnir or something else...as always keeping an eye on my not unlimited budget. Or, should I wait a while...the technology seems to improve at an incredible rate. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm not in a rush at the moment. I would be interested in seeing what Schiit have up their sleeve for later this year.

Music styles I listen to:-  Acoustic, Jazz & some Rock (mostly classics)
Music used for initial impressions: 
Kris Schulz - While the City Sleeps
Simple Minds - Acoustic
Mark Knopfler - Tracker
Dire Straits - Love over Gold
Martin Taylor - Twos Company
Tessa Karrys - Begin
Chick Corea Trio - Past, Present & Futures
Stand Getz - Various
Fred Hersch Trio - Plays...
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours & Tusk

My system:
NAS > NetGear router > Sonore microRendu (ifi PS) > Audiophonics USB OFC PTFE Cable > Aune X1s DAC (Linear PS) > Linn RCA Interconnects > Schiit Lyr 2 Amplifier > Sennheiser HD650 Headphones
Controller/Player: - iPeng/Logitech Media Server v7.9.0(Beta) on iMac

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #1,849 of 2,168
@Charente, I would suggest a few different pairs of tubes, the stock Lyr2 tubes are quite neutral or maybe a touch on the bright side and work well with the HD-650 due to it being a warmer headphone but there are a few tubes that might even make it more enjoyable.  For me I like Reflectors and Telefunken for warm headphones and Mullards, Amperex or Electro Harmonix for brighter headphons.

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #1,850 of 2,168
Thank-you for your suggestion @DavidA

Ah, yes...I've been reading about changing tubes...some of them look frighteningly expensive. I'll take a closer look at your specific suggestions.

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #1,851 of 2,168
  For me I like Reflectors and Telefunken for warm headphones and Mullards, Amperex or Electro Harmonix for brighter headphons.

Before you go out and buy any of the tubes brands mentioned, please do some reading through this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers

There is a large range of options, sound quality, and cost within the brands mentioned. I'll add Siemens as a brand to consider as well. With my HD 650 cans, I prefer the sound of early 60's Siemens tubes (CCa and E188CC) and 1975 Reflektor 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields. The higher end Telefunken tubes sound good too.

I am sure that all looks like Greek to you. Unless you speak Greek! Do some reading in that thread and ask questions.

Have fun!

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #1,852 of 2,168
@winders Greek ??....I struggle with English sometimes !!

Your link...That's quite a topic...should keep me busy for a while reading through. Sounds fascinating.

Thank-you for the pointers.

Feb 18, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #1,854 of 2,168
  Question is, as I consider a further upgrade of the DAC part of the system, which way should I go for the next 'reasonable' leap which would be a good match for the Lyr 2 ? Might that be a Bifrost, Gungnir or something else...as always keeping an eye on my not unlimited budget. Or, should I wait a while...the technology seems to improve at an incredible rate. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

So this is an interesting question. I bought a Modi Multibit DAC (Mimby), a Val 2 amp/pre-amp, Sennheiser HD 650 headphones, and some powered monitors in late January as a way to get back into music after a 30 year hiatus. I spend a lot of time at home at my computer so a nearfield setup with headphones makes a lot of sense. I immediately liked what I heard. I was completely impressed with the sound I was getting out of the Schiit stuff and I enjoyed the tube rolling. But, I felt like the Vali 2 was a little weak for HD 650's so I decided to take advantage of Schiit's return policy and traded up to the Lyr 2. The down side is that I needed to buy tubes in pairs. The upside was greatly improved sound from both the HD 650's and the powered monitors. I am not talking about a small difference either. It was impressive!

I thought about trading in the Mimby for the Bifrost Multibit (Bimby). But, everything I read suggested the difference the two was quite small. In fact, some people said they preferred the sound they got from the Mimby. Bimby had the form factor to match the Lyr 2 but I held off because the price difference was large. So far, I am very happy with Mimby.

Now, I can guarantee you before too long I will get the itch to upgrade to the Mjolnir 2. The balanced architecture intrigues me as I have read that the HD 650 get even better when run balanced. I can use the same tubes I am using now with the Lyr 2. I will upgrade to a new DAC at that time. Gungnir Multibit (Gumby) is a real possibility but I suspect I will just go all out and get the Yggdrasil (Yggy). Heck, I might even keep the stuff I have now and setup another room with a real nice 2 speaker setup with a nice recliner and the new stuff.

Anyway, The next big step up from Mimby is Gumby, not Bimby. You probably get 85% of Yggy in Gumby. I would not hesitate to recommend Mimby. It is a great DAC for an incredible price.

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #1,855 of 2,168

So this is an interesting question. I bought a Modi Multibit DAC (Mimby), a Val 2 amp/pre-amp, Sennheiser HD 650 headphones, and some powered monitors in late January as a way to get back into music after a 30 year hiatus. I spend a lot of time at home at my computer so a nearfield setup with headphones makes a lot of sense. I immediately liked what I heard. I was completely impressed with the sound I was getting out of the Schiit stuff and I enjoyed the tube rolling. But, I felt like the Vali 2 was a little weak for HD 650's so I decided to take advantage of Schiit's return policy and traded up to the Lyr 2. The down side is that I needed to buy tubes in pairs. The upside was greatly improved sound from both the HD 650's and the powered monitors. I am not talking about a small difference either. It was impressive!

I thought about trading in the Mimby for the Bifrost Multibit (Bimby). But, everything I read suggested the difference the two was quite small. In fact, some people said they preferred the sound they got from the Mimby. Bimby had the form factor to match the Lyr 2 but I held off because the price difference was large. So far, I am very happy with Mimby.

Now, I can guarantee you before too long I will get the itch to upgrade to the Mjolnir 2. The balanced architecture intrigues me as I have read that the HD 650 get even better when run balanced. I can use the same tubes I am using now with the Lyr 2. I will upgrade to a new DAC at that time. Gungnir Multibit (Gumby) is a real possibility but I suspect I will just go all out and get the Yggdrasil (Yggy). Heck, I might even keep the stuff I have now and setup another room with a real nice 2 speaker setup with a nice recliner and the new stuff.

Anyway, The next big step up from Mimby is Gumby, not Bimby. You probably get 85% of Yggy in Gumby. I would not hesitate to recommend Mimby. It is a great DAC for an incredible price.

Thank-you for your further input... I've been reading up on the tube-rolling pointers you gave me yesterday... still reading and trying to get to grips with it all !!

I'm not sure that a Mimby would give me a significant enough difference from what I have now, and I feared (for my wallet's sake !) that you might conclude that the Gumby would be the better 'leap'. Yggy is probably too 'rich' for me, as much as I would love one, from what I'm reading.  Although I hear it might stop my quest and be game-over !...and save some cash in the long-run !

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #1,856 of 2,168

Thank-you for your further input... I've been reading up on the tube-rolling pointers you gave me yesterday... still reading and trying to get to grips with it all !!

I'm not sure that a Mimby would give me a significant enough difference from what I have now, and I feared (for my wallet's sake !) that you might conclude that the Gumby would be the better 'leap'. Yggy is probably too 'rich' for me, as much as I would love one, from what I'm reading.  Although I hear it might stop my quest and be game-over !...and save some cash in the long-run !

I would suggest you try and listen to the DACs you are interested in, for me the Gumby and Yggy are not what I would upgrade to, I have a Bifrost MB and Uber, Modi2uber and a UD-301.  Some of the better DACs that I've heard and liked are Metrum Musette, MHDT Pagoda and Stockholm V2, AudioGD Master 7, Master 11 and DAC-19, and the UD-501.  Also, If I could find one, an old Red Wine Isabellina was one of the best I've heard but they have been discontinued for a few years now and are quite pricy.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #1,857 of 2,168
I have some questions regarding energy consumption with the Lyr 2:

1) If you turn off the Lyr 2, the pre-amp output stop sending audio, right? (No passive output).
2) Also, anyone with a Kill-a-watt could tell me if this thing is always at 30W usage or consumes less depending on: headphones connected/disconnected; gain low/high, volume level, etc?
(Headphones are used only by me at home, but the monitors are used all the time and I wouldn't like to have a 30W headphone amp on 24/7 just to feed the monitors). 

Anyway. I'm looking for a better amp to pair with some AKG (K701) headphones. (with pre-amp output for my studio monitors).
I'm choosing between the Magni 2 Uber (5W / 184€), the Vali 2 (9W / 194€) and the Lyr 2 with 6B27 tubes (30W / 505€).
(If I go for the Lyr 2, and it's always at 30W when pre-amping, I think I'd rather buy 1 rca splitter and use a "sys" to separate the Lyr 2 from the monitors. My monitors turn off after 30 minutes of no-signal, so I like to minimize "hand interaction" as much as possible). 

Extra info: 
- I'm currently using a Fulla 2 (also at home), and it sounds great, but I've bought this unit just to be used at hotels when travelling for work. 
- My Dac is a Modi Multibit with Optical input. 

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #1,858 of 2,168
@thesebastian, even without a kill-a-watt meter (can't seem to find mine) i think the Lyr2 is using close to the 30W based on the heat generated, it gets quite hot where you don't want to touch the top of the unit, its why I use a USB powered fan to keep mine cool.

No passive output when turned off

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #1,859 of 2,168
  @thesebastian, even without a kill-a-watt meter (can't seem to find mine) i think the Lyr2 is using close to the 30W based on the heat generated, it gets quite hot where you don't want to touch the top of the unit, its why I use a USB powered fan to keep mine cool.

No passive output when turned off

Thanks David.
Yes I think you're right, imo Schiit always focus in performance rather than energy saving. (And that's not a bad thing at all, is just no of my preference). I'd like to have a Lyr 2 with an auto turn off option or something like that (like my Monitors, PC, Display, etc). 

Anyway....do you really need a fan? I live in Barcelona and summer here is like hell itself. But I would not care to have the Lyr 2 boiling if it can handle it. 

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #1,860 of 2,168
  Thanks David.
Yes I think you're right, imo Schiit always focus in performance rather than energy saving. (And that's not a bad thing at all, is just no of my preference). I'd like to have a Lyr 2 with an auto turn off option or something like that (like my Monitors, PC, Display, etc). 

Anyway....do you really need a fan? I live in Barcelona and summer here is like hell itself. But I would not care to have the Lyr 2 boiling if it can handle it. 

I'm a few hundred meters from the beach here in Hawaii (about 2 blocks from the beginning of Waikiki), its hot but the humidity is the real killer and having 3 tube amps does not help. Its 2:20am and I have the AC on if that gives you an idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back