NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Jul 24, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #1,306 of 2,168
  I am interested in the SQ of the Lyr 2. It is slightly better than the Lyr 1 and with a little less noise-floor. But I have one question: why not make the amp more airflow friendly. I almost burnt my hand on the Lyr 2 at the Schiit table at Canjam. Where are the heat sinks? Why isn't the top more perforated? Why is my hand almost on fire after touching the volume knob. If you ask me, the volume knob could be its own heat sink, it would look cool and users would be less afraid to turn up the volume with fear of being burnt.

Where are the heat sinks?

You're looking at them.

The aluminum chassis IS the heat sink... which is why it gets warm.

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,307 of 2,168

Where are the heat sinks?

You're looking at them.

The aluminum chassis IS the heat sink... which is why it gets warm.

Yep. And I can lay my hand on it without any pain- not the tubes of course!

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #1,308 of 2,168
You´re absolutely right, for different reasons I ended up with a HD 700 pair....impossible to sell in México and that´s why I´m trying to get a pair of tubes for the Lyr that would make it up for me....

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #1,309 of 2,168
For those interested, the Lyr/Lyr2 compatibility chart was updated with a few new sections and one new tube.  Check it out:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/755300/schiit-lyr-lyr-2-tube-compatibility-list#post_11328343

Cheers

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #1,310 of 2,168
@kayandjohn welcome to the world of Lyr2 and good luck with your endeavors. I am glad you found the chart/guide helpful - make sure to come back to the forums and ask questions when in doubt, the guys here have been truly amazing to learn and avoid costly mistakes.

Happy rolling.

Jul 29, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #1,311 of 2,168
  You´re absolutely right, for different reasons I ended up with a HD 700 pair....impossible to sell in México and that´s why I´m trying to get a pair of tubes for the Lyr that would make it up for me....

For the HD-700 the best tubes that I have are Amperex "PQ" tubes, really mellows out the highs on the HD-700 and the dynamics are quite good.  I've found that for me and my girlfriend the Ember actually works better, good luck.

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #1,312 of 2,168
Hey everyone and salutations. I just joined here and have found it to be a great resource. I have dabbled in a bit of music production but have always felt there was something missing from my set up - Complete Audio 6 and Sound blaster ZxR.   While the ZxR could drive my Beyerdynamic DT 880 the seem to fall flat.

My computers's pcix slots were all completely taken so when I decided to water-cool my raid card and video cards to reduce the noise in my workspace. Which meant I had to down-grade to a Sound Blaster Zx which claims to have a 600ohm aplifyer which I found completely lacking.

I purchased a Lyr from Amazon to connect to my Soundblaster's line out but had awful ground loop noise.  I was going to just install a ground loop isolation system but found that through my research that would be a complete waste of time.

So I broke down and returned the lyr and ordred a Bifrost Uber and Lyr2 directly from Schitt and upgraded the tubest to AMPEREX USN CEP 6922 6DJ8 ECC88 7308 VACUUM TUBE 1965 PAIR MATCH PAIR BEST A21G.

Just incredible. Now I just look for higher quality audio to take advantage of this system.  I have my line out connect do a Marantz SR7009 which too produces and an incredible sound stage from this tube amp. Substantially better than it's built in DSP.

I am very happy with this Schiit.

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #1,313 of 2,168
Hey everyone and salutations. I just joined here and have found it to be a great resource. I have dabbled in a bit of music production but have always felt there was something missing from my set up - Complete Audio 6 and Sound blaster ZxR.   While the ZxR could drive my [COLOR=0066C0]Beyerdynamic DT 880[/COLOR] the seem to fall flat.

My computers's pcix slots were all completely taken so when I decided to water-cool my raid card and video cards to reduce the noise in my workspace. Which meant I had to down-grade to a Sound Blaster Zx which claims to have a 600ohm aplifyer which I found completely lacking.

I purchased a Lyr from Amazon to connect to my Soundblaster's line out but had awful ground loop noise.  I was going to just install a ground loop isolation system but found that through my research that would be a complete waste of time.

So I broke down and returned the lyr and ordred a Bifrost Uber and Lyr2 directly from Schitt and upgraded the tubest to [COLOR=6A29B9]AMPEREX USN CEP 6922 6DJ8 ECC88 7308 VACUUM TUBE 1965 PAIR MATCH PAIR BEST A21G[/COLOR].

Just incredible. Now I just look for higher quality audio to take advantage of this system.  I have my line out connect do a Marantz SR7009 which too produces and an incredible sound stage from this tube amp. Substantially better than it's built in DSP.

Welcome to the forum and the world of the Lyr2. The Bifrost Uber + Lyr2 are a killer combo for an amazing price. You will find that any well recorded music, even if it's not fully hi-Rez, will sound amazing on your rig. The trick is to enjoy the music and avoid the pitfall of nit picking on the bit rate and format.

Have fun

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #1,314 of 2,168
Hey everyone and salutations. I just joined here and have found it to be a great resource. I have dabbled in a bit of music production but have always felt there was something missing from my set up - Complete Audio 6 and Sound blaster ZxR.   While the ZxR could drive my [COLOR=0066C0]Beyerdynamic DT 880[/COLOR] the seem to fall flat.

So I broke down and returned the lyr and ordred a Bifrost Uber and Lyr2 directly from Schitt and upgraded the tubest to [COLOR=6A29B9]AMPEREX USN CEP 6922 6DJ8 ECC88 7308 VACUUM TUBE 1965 PAIR MATCH PAIR BEST A21G[/COLOR].

Congrats! I have a pair of those tubes. Nice they are.

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #1,315 of 2,168
  For the HD-700 the best tubes that I have are Amperex "PQ" tubes, really mellows out the highs on the HD-700 and the dynamics are quite good.  I've found that for me and my girlfriend the Ember actually works better, good luck.

DavidA, thanks for your reply....do you have an specific Amperex PQ number? i was told that the Amperex UGLY BUTTS were the way to go to mellow those damned highs..regards.

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #1,316 of 2,168
  DavidA, thanks for your reply....do you have an specific Amperex PQ number? i was told that the Amperex UGLY BUTTS were the way to go to mellow those damned highs..regards.

Haven't tried any "ugly butts", first I've heard of them, sorry.  As for the "PQ" there are a few on ebay every once in a while, cost has gone up since I got mine about a year ago.  Best to buy from dealer that takes returns or ebay warranty, good luck.

Aug 5, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #1,318 of 2,168

Haha! I explained about the "butt ugly" tubes on Brent Jesse's site that are not cosmetically perfect but sound great and cost less. The "E88CC / 6922 "BUTT UGLY" Amperex white PQ type" sound exactly like what DavidA also recommended.

http://www.audiotubes.com/butt.htm

Maybe you can score some cheaper on eBay but I don't know enough to filter out the bad ones so I buy from reputable stores I can trust and folks here on Head-Fi.

Aug 5, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #1,319 of 2,168

Ok....thanks!!! will make the search.

Gee... I BLUSH to think of what I saw when I typed "Ugly Butts" into my search engine!  Suffice it to say... they were the weirdest tubes I have EVER seen, and I don't see how they could fit into the socket!! In fact, I would say that they looked more like CANS than TUBES!

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #1,320 of 2,168
Heh, I got a surprise the other night searching for 'vintage tubes'. It was not what I expected. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back