NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Jul 20, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #1,291 of 2,168
  Thanks...any particular number recommendation? the purpose is to get rid of the high pitch in the HD 700....

regards.

Well, you could get a different headphone, but that's just me. I start with a sound I like, then tailor it. Trying to "fix" something is not the way I would go, IMO.

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #1,292 of 2,168
Anyone using lyr and modi together?

Tried this combo, the modi and Lyr2 will work but it sounds a little on the thin/bright side IMO.  I use my Lyr2 with either a Bifrost or Teac UD-301, the Bifrost has a more neutral sound while the UD-301 has better dynamics to me.

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #1,293 of 2,168
Are tubes interchangeable between the Lyr and the Lyr 2?  When I read the threads on Lyr Tube Rolling, can I assume tubes mentioned for the Lyr will work for the Lyr 2?

Thanks!

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #1,294 of 2,168

Tried this combo, the modi and Lyr2 will work but it sounds a little on the thin/bright side IMO.  I use my Lyr2 with either a Bifrost or Teac UD-301, the Bifrost has a more neutral sound while the UD-301 has better dynamics to me.

I'm currently using the Modi/Lyr2 combo because I've blown my stereo budget for the year.  The combination works as a very good temporary arrangement. The Modi is an impressive DAC for only $100 and the combo sounds noticeably better than my Fiio X5/Lyr 2 combo. Bifrost upgrade is planned for Xmas.

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #1,295 of 2,168

Well, you could get a different headphone, but that's just me. I start with a sound I like, then tailor it. Trying to "fix" something is not the way I would go, IMO.

I agree. The single biggest thing that determines how your headphones will sound is - no big surprise - the headphones themselves. Like speakers, there is a huge difference between different headphones. Next down the list would be the difference between tube headphone amps and solid state ones. Then the difference between different brands and models of tube headphone amps (the differences between solid state amps tend to be smaller). Then, finally, at the end of the list, the difference you can get by rolling different tubes in the same amp.

If there's something major that you don't like about the headphones you have, then it's time to seriously think about finding a different pair of headphones.

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #1,296 of 2,168
  Are tubes interchangeable between the Lyr and the Lyr 2?  When I read the threads on Lyr Tube Rolling, can I assume tubes mentioned for the Lyr will work for the Lyr 2?

Thanks!

The original Lyr will take some tubes that don't work in the Lyr2.  Go to the beginning of the Lyr tube rolling thread and there is a list that shows what works in which version of the Lyr.  It looks like the Lyr2 will use about 50% of the tubes that work in the Lry

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #1,297 of 2,168

I'm surprised there is so much difference in DAC's given they all are flat in the audible range. Are you sure they have the same output levels? The bass, mids and treble are all affected by loudness.
I'm using the DAC's in my Oppo BDP105 for my Lyr and Ragnarok. I might be trying out the Modi and Bifrost with the Lyr for sound from the computer. I'll try and match the sound out with a db meter first before comparing. Maybe I'll be surprised!

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #1,298 of 2,168
I'm surprised there is so much difference in DAC's given they all are flat in the audible range. Are you sure they have the same output levels? The bass, mids and treble are all affected by loudness.
I'm using the DAC's in my Oppo BDP105 for my Lyr and Ragnarok. I might be trying out the Modi and Bifrost with the Lyr for sound from the computer. I'll try and match the sound out with a db meter first before comparing. Maybe I'll be surprised!

Ideally yes, they are supposed to be flat and transparent, but that is rarely the case. With really high end, transparent amps like the v281/rag/Taurus, this is VERY evident.

There is a noticeable difference when going from a built-in DAC to something like the bifrost, and even more so when moving up to the gungnir.

Price is not necessarily reflective on sound quality, there are plenty of 1k+ DACs out there that sound thin/weak.

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #1,299 of 2,168
Ideally yes, they are supposed to be flat and transparent, but that is rarely the case. With really high end, transparent amps like the v281/rag/Taurus, this is VERY evident.

There is a noticeable difference when going from a built-in DAC to something like the bifrost, and even more so when moving up to the gungnir.

Price is not necessarily reflective on sound quality, there are plenty of 1k+ DACs out there that sound thin/weak.

I'll be comparing Bifrost and Gungnir soon I think!

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #1,301 of 2,168
I am interested in the SQ of the Lyr 2. It is slightly better than the Lyr 1 and with a little less noise-floor. But I have one question: why not make the amp more airflow friendly. I almost burnt my hand on the Lyr 2 at the Schiit table at Canjam. Where are the heat sinks? Why isn't the top more perforated? Why is my hand almost on fire after touching the volume knob. If you ask me, the volume knob could be its own heat sink, it would look cool and users would be less afraid to turn up the volume with fear of being burnt.

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #1,302 of 2,168
  I am interested in the SQ of the Lyr 2. It is slightly better than the Lyr 1 and with a little less noise-floor. But I have one question: why not make the amp more airflow friendly. I almost burnt my hand on the Lyr 2 at the Schiit table at Canjam. Where are the heat sinks? Why isn't the top more perforated? Why is my hand almost on fire after touching the volume knob. If you ask me, the volume knob could be its own heat sink, it would look cool and users would be less afraid to turn up the volume with fear of being burnt.

It does get hot, but it's a simple fix: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00080G0BK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #1,303 of 2,168
Mine gets very warm, but never hot enough to burn anything, unless you are touching the tubes that is.

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #1,304 of 2,168
Mine gets very warm, but never hot enough to burn anything, unless you are touching the tubes that is.

Mine got so hot it melted a hole through the table, floor, and many miles of solid rock. It's now found thermal equilibrium with the mantle. It still sounds great though I worry that the hundreds of miles of cable are softening the treble a little. I'm KIDDING! 
L3000.gif

It never gets too hot to touch,just make sure you have ventilation. The case IS the heat sink which is part of the reason the case gets warm. All Class A amps get warm. Nature of the beast,

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #1,305 of 2,168
  Mine got so hot it melted a hole through the table, floor, and many miles of solid rock. It's now found thermal equilibrium with the mantle. It still sounds great though I worry that the hundreds of miles of cable are softening the treble a little. I'm KIDDING! 
L3000.gif

It never gets too hot to touch,just make sure you have ventilation. The case IS the heat sink which is part of the reason the case gets warm. All Class A amps get warm. Nature of the beast,

Like @Hardwired I use a fan that is powered of my PC that is next to the Lyr2 which does get hot but not to the point where it will burn your finger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back