NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Feb 25, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #781 of 2,168

I had a tricked out Woo WA6-SE before - and to me the Lyr with the right tubes is better.

This comment makes me happy. To me, the WA6 was my endgame choice for the HD700 (not endgame for everything though, this hobby will drain my wallet forever). I also would prefer to spend a bit less to get the same performance. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #782 of 2,168
  This comment makes me happy. To me, the WA6 was my endgame choice for the HD700 (not endgame for everything though, this hobby will drain my wallet forever). I also would prefer to spend a bit less to get the same performance. 

I swapped out the stock tubes for some orange globes and never looked back. All my Senn's love the Lyr with those tubes in it. My T1 sounds the best I have ever heard it with that combo.

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #783 of 2,168

I swapped out the stock tubes for some orange globes and never looked back. All my Senn's love the Lyr with those tubes in it. My T1 sounds the best I have ever heard it with that combo.

Any preferred place to buy the orange globes, and gold lions?

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #785 of 2,168

The Woo WA6-SE is the step up after the WA6, and one of Woo's top amps (it uses a beefed up and separate PS).

If you think the Lyr/Lyr2 is good with the OG's or GL's you should hear it with a nice pair of vintage '70s Voskhod 6n23p's for less money.

PS If you want to get an idea of what the Vintage Voskhod Rockets can do in the Lyr - here is the review I wrote over a year ago on the Lyr Tube Rolling thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/8595

There is more to this amazing amp then what the OG's and GL's can provide.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #786 of 2,168

The Woo WA6-SE is the step up after the WA6, and one of Woo's top amps

Oh, I meant just the WA6 then, oops.

Vali just arrived, initial impressions: (posting this here as this is really the deciding factor for getting a Lyr. Based off of seeing some of you say there's a similarity in sound.)

To me, the Vali sounds a lot more relaxed than the Valhalla 2. Like the Valhalla 2 has this energy to get my blood pumping, but the Vali makes me want to just lean back and relax to the music. I guess this goes with people saying it brings the mids forward. I am hearing a lot more background noises with the Vali than I was with the Valhalla 2. For instance, Ekki mukk by Sigur Ros has some background noise at the start before everything begins. With the Valhalla 2 that is really hard to hear, with the Vali it stands out. The song Sea Of Voices by Porter Robinson sounds way too relaxed with the Vali, it's not nearly as interesting and exciting as it is with the Valhalla 2. Switch that right around with Fellow Feeling by Porter Robinson, sounds amazing on the Vali (Specifically the beginning before it goes crazy).

EDIT: I feel like sending the Vali back, getting a Bifrost Uber, and eventually getting a Lyr 2 as my somewhat-endgame amp to play with tubes. I've found I barely need to touch the EQ with the Vali, it susprisingly tames the sibilance really well. Sure songs recorded poorly will be the hardest to save, but that's alright. With that said though, push 9.5khz on the Valhalla 2 down -8dB, and I get all of that excitement, with the treble spike pushed down and it's really enjoyable. I guess you could say part of this journey was to find a setup that I didn't have to EQ. Though in the long run, this is all for my enjoyment right? I think I bought into the no EQ arguments a bit too much.

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #787 of 2,168
  Oh, I meant just the WA6 then, oops.

Vali just arrived, initial impressions: (posting this here as this is really the deciding factor for getting a Lyr. Based off of seeing some of you say there's a similarity in sound.)

To me, the Vali sounds a lot more relaxed than the Valhalla 2. Like the Valhalla 2 has this energy to get my blood pumping, but the Vali makes me want to just lean back and relax to the music. I guess this goes with people saying it brings the mids forward. I am hearing a lot more background noises with the Vali than I was with the Valhalla 2. For instance, Ekki mukk by Sigur Ros has some background noise at the start before everything begins. With the Valhalla 2 that is really hard to hear, with the Vali it stands out. The song Sea Of Voices by Porter Robinson sounds way too relaxed with the Vali, it's not nearly as interesting and exciting as it is with the Valhalla 2. Switch that right around with Fellow Feeling by Porter Robinson, sounds amazing on the Vali (Specifically the beginning before it goes crazy).

EDIT: I feel like sending the Vali back, getting a Bifrost Uber, and eventually getting a Lyr 2 as my somewhat-endgame amp to play with tubes. I've found I barely need to touch the EQ with the Vali, it susprisingly tames the sibilance really well. Sure songs recorded poorly will be the hardest to save, but that's alright. With that said though, push 9.5khz on the Valhalla 2 down -8dB, and I get all of that excitement, with the treble spike pushed down and it's really enjoyable. I guess you could say part of this journey was to find a setup that I didn't have to EQ. Though in the long run, this is all for my enjoyment right? I think I bought into the no EQ arguments a bit too much.

Nice comparison between the Vali and Val2 - thanks!

I would try some better tubes in the Val2 - it will make a big, big difference.  As long as you stay with the 6n23p/6922/E88CC type you can use them in the Lyr2 later - they are perfectly compatible.  If you get a used Lyr1 then it can use all the signal tubes the Val2 can like the 6n1p.

PM as I have a few spare pairs of the '70s vintage Voskhod 6n23p's cheap.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #788 of 2,168

PM as I have a few spare pairs of the '70s vintage Voskhod 6n23p's cheap.

Sure thing!

Also have to say that I don't think I can return the Vali. Sure it's not as exciting as the Valhalla 2, but wow its just so relaxing. Even though I don't like it as much, it's like my ears can relax from all that impact power the Valhalla 2 is constantly dishing out. I can finally listen to all the drum & bass songs I had to skip over with the Valhalla 2 because it was too fatiguing.

For instance, listen to Denmark Road and Major Happy from Fred V & Grafix. On the Valhalla 2 all those drum impacts really light up your ears. The Vali just relaxes them perfectly. Don't burn me at the stake for saying this, but the Vali + HD700 combination seriously reminds me of my M50. Just like a really improved version of the M50.

Might need to skip the Bifrost Uber and just go straight for a Lyr. I want them both! Screw it, I'll just start a collection of all the Schiit. Buy one of everything.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #789 of 2,168
  Sure thing!

Also have to say that I don't think I can return the Vali. Sure it's not as exciting as the Valhalla 2, but wow its just so relaxing. Even though I don't like it as much, it's like my ears can relax from all that impact power the Valhalla 2 is constantly dishing out. I can finally listen to all the drum & bass songs I had to skip over with the Valhalla 2 because it was too fatiguing.

For instance, listen to Denmark Road and Major Happy from Fred V & Grafix. On the Valhalla 2 all those drum impacts really light up your ears. The Vali just relaxes them perfectly. Don't burn me at the stake for saying this, but the Vali + HD700 combination seriously reminds me of my M50. Just like a really improved version of the M50.

Might need to skip the Bifrost Uber and just go straight for a Lyr. I want them both! Screw it, I'll just start a collection of all the Schiit. Buy one of everything.

What are using for a DAC now.  Remember the Bifrost is a very smooth DAC.  So smooth with smooth - is it to much smooth? LOL
beyersmile.png

So will the Vali just get shelved -?

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #790 of 2,168
  Sure thing!

Now you're talking!!!  ( see my profile. ) LOL

Mar 2, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #792 of 2,168
When it comes to Amperex Orange Globes what should I look for to pair with my Lyr 2 and HD 650s? I've been looking around but I don't know the difference between the many models or which provide the best value.

Edit: Alos, which tubes types are compatible with the Lyr 2? I found a lot of budget Amperex Orange Globes that are ECC82 and others that are 12AU7.

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #793 of 2,168
Hi,

Just posting comments on a set of tubes.  I have the Bifrost uber+Lyr2 and HD650's.  About 2 months now.

Stock tubes were fine but wanted to try something, anything better  : )

So I ordered from tctubes after getting a quick email back on a question on the matched pairs:

http://tctubes.com/Genalex-Gold-Lion-6922-E88CC-matched-set.aspx

Got them quickly and with their measurement specs on the boxes.  

I'm not the best at comparing sound but the sound is now more dynamic, open, and if there was a veil or anything it is gone now  : )

With the stock tubes the sound was just a little closed and dull.

With these tubes it is definitely better.

Thanks for this thread, found good feedback on the Gold Lion and also tctubes.com
Steve

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #795 of 2,168

Users who are viewing this thread

Back