NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Mar 3, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #797 of 2,168
I've heard there are more that are compatible than the ones mentioned there. I found some 6U8A tubes that I'm interested in but im unsure if they are compatible.

a simple search of 
lyr 2 tube list
on head-fi.org yields the amazing find of:

post #1

deadhorse.gif

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #798 of 2,168
How would I connect a DAC with a single line out (FiiO X5) to the Lyr with a duel line in?

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #799 of 2,168
  How would I connect a DAC with a single line out (FiiO X5) to the Lyr with a duel line in?

Here you go. I assume you mean the 1/8 headphone out.

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-CMR206-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B000068O33/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425587250&sr=8-1&keywords=1+8+phono+to+rca

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #800 of 2,168
Thanks Rick

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #801 of 2,168
For those that haven't seen the compatibility thread, please see link below:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/755300/schiit-lyr-lyr-2-tube-compatibility-list#post_11328343

Several new updates to the Lyr/Lyr2 Compatibility thread. Re-arranged the listing of the tubes in the chart to hopefully a more logical order. Added 3 new parts: Socket savers & relevant posts, Deoxit gold and relevant posts, and the first draft for tube manufacturers and date codes. Will need ideas on how to make part 4 better in the coming few weeks.

Please criticize as you see fit.

Cheers

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #802 of 2,168
http://www.cnet.com/news/for-a-headphone-amplifier-6-watts-per-channel-is-huge/
To read!

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #803 of 2,168
So after trying the '72 Voshkod Rockets (75/75) in the Valhalla 2, it didn't tame the HD700's hot as the sun treble. So I returned it.

Next step is either the Lyr 2, or a NOS dac to smear the treble.

If I wanted to be cutthroat as possible, what tube has good dynamics with a smeared/rolled off treble, but to the extremes? This being with the Lyr 2. I swear, every time I hear another sharp, painful "sss" I just want to sell these cans. The HD650 doesn't do it at all, but sadly the sound signature doesn't quite do it for me.

Still don't have enough experience yet to determine if I'd like the EL-8 enough to want to replace the HD700 with it. Never listened to an LCD before.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #804 of 2,168
  So after trying the '72 Voshkod Rockets (75/75) in the Valhalla 2, it didn't tame the HD700's hot as the sun treble. So I returned it.

Next step is either the Lyr 2, or a NOS dac to smear the treble.

If I wanted to be cutthroat as possible, what tube has good dynamics with a smeared/rolled off treble, but to the extremes? This being with the Lyr 2. I swear, every time I hear another sharp, painful "sss" I just want to sell these cans. The HD650 doesn't do it at all, but sadly the sound signature doesn't quite do it for me.

Still don't have enough experience yet to determine if I'd like the EL-8 enough to want to replace the HD700 with it. Never listened to an LCD before.

Have you read the 'Battle of the Flagships' thread here?  Here was the comment on the HD700's:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD700
 WEAKNESSES TREBLE: The treble presentation here is awkward. In the opinion of many, the HD700 is warmer than the HD800 (the HD800 has been criticized by some for being too bright). Well, to my ears, the HD700 is even brighter and sharper. With the HD700, cymbals tend to sound a bit strident and untamed. However, as I greatly enjoy several other aspects of the HD700's sound, the treble response doesn't ruin the headphone for me. That said, I am convinced that the HD600's and HD650's treble presentation is more natural.

SIBILANT: Harsh treble is typically accompanied by sibilance, so this particular commentary is kind of redundant. The HD700's sound signature happens to be noticeably sibilant.

I had similar but not as severe issues with my HD800's - a cable change to the Moon Black Dragon V2s cured that sibilant problem and then some.  So it may just be a negative quality of those HPs.

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #805 of 2,168
That's what it sounds like to me as well. Amps won't change the character of the headphone that much so it's probably better to sell the HD700 and find something else.

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #806 of 2,168
  That's what it sounds like to me as well. Amps won't change the character of the headphone that much so it's probably better to sell the HD700 and find something else.

^^^^^ What he said^^^^

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #807 of 2,168

Especially if it's an inherent design aspect of that HP - like trying to fight the tide.  According to David Mahler- they ranked pretty low on the list  #31 overall and a C+ for value.  In comparison the HD800's ranked #6 overall and an A for value.

Other notables: HE-500 (now replaced by the HE-560's) at #17 and an A+ for value, and the LCD 2 rev2's at #11 and an A for Value.  So for the same or less money better to be had.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #808 of 2,168

Especially if it's an inherent design aspect of that HP - like trying to fight the tide.  According to David Mahler- they ranked pretty low on the list  #31 overall and a C+ for value.  In comparison the HD800's ranked #6 overall and an A for value.

Other notables: HE-500 (now replaced by the HE-560's) at #17 and an A+ for value, and the LCD 2 rev2's at #11 and an A for Value.  So for the same or less money better to be had.

Surprisingly, the HE-500 had worse sibilance than the HD700 to me. I would put the HE-500 at a 10/10 for pain, it was bad enough that I had to take them off and couldn't stand it. In comparison, the HD700 has tolerable sibilance, but still bad. Probably a 5/10 for pain. The HD650 would be a 1/10 on the strongest sibilance inducing tracks that I have.

Pretty sure I'm overly sensitive to it. This could be in part that I got into audio really late in my life. Started taking this all seriously only just a year ago. Before that listening to music with headphones was just something to boost my mood while doing work, and with headphones that were not detailed enough to make me notice any issues (M50).

I find the HD700's to be very enjoyable when EQ'd down really hard in the trouble areas. The downside is I lose a lot of detail.

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #809 of 2,168

Surprisingly, the HE-500 had worse sibilance than the HD700 to me. I would put the HE-500 at a 10/10 for pain, it was bad enough that I had to take them off and couldn't stand it. In comparison, the HD700 has tolerable sibilance, but still bad. Probably a 5/10 for pain. The HD650 would be a 1/10 on the strongest sibilance inducing tracks that I have.

Pretty sure I'm overly sensitive to it. This could be in part that I got into audio really late in my life. Started taking this all seriously only just a year ago. Before that listening to music with headphones was just something to boost my mood while doing work, and with headphones that were not detailed enough to make me notice any issues (M50).

I find the HD700's to be very enjoyable when EQ'd down really hard in the trouble areas. The downside is I lose a lot of detail.

Interesting - have you auditioned the LCD's?  They may be a better match for you. 

I had a pair of HE-500's and they sounded great - not as comfortable or nearly as big in sound stage as the HD800's but lot's of fun.  I bought them like new off Audiogon and they had the Moon Blue Dragon cable.  I never tried them with the stock one.  But each persons ears and tastes are different - so YMMV as the old saying goes.

Good luck

Mar 12, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #810 of 2,168
What's up guys

My Lyr 1 just came in today. I was wondering, since it's recommended (compulsory even?) to turn off this amp when it's not in use, is there a maximum amount of time of use recommended before turning it off? i.e. should we not use the Lyr for listening session that are over 5 hours or something along those lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Back