NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Mar 12, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #811 of 2,168
The main reason to turn it off would be that tubes have a lifespan.  You would just be shortening that span by running all the time.  Other factors are heat and energy consumption.  I fire mine up a while before using and shut it down overnight.  Long sessions are no problem.  Enjoy it.

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #812 of 2,168
Just recieved my new NOS 1969 Amperex Orange Globes an hour ago. And I have to say they make a huge difference over my Lyr 2's stock tubes. The first thing I noticed was that the soundstage was expanded greatly, everything sounded much more natural. Besides that they actually sound better, in my opinion, on High Gain. The stock tubes on my Lyr 2 couldn't handle high gain as it would kill off the bass and increase brightness, but it did make everything sound more aggressive, but unnatural. With the Orange Globes on High Gain the Attack of the bass is much better and more agressive, but instead of receeding in quantity it actually increases, which I love. Besides that everything stays natural sounding and the soundstage is still fantastic. Listening to heavy metal on these is awesome! I can't wait to hear how the sound after they've burned in a bit! biggrin.gif

Edit: When it comes to the Amperex 1969 Orange Globes and Sennheiser HD 650s. Do you guys prefer Low Gain or High Gain?

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #813 of 2,168
Just recieved my new NOS 1969 Amperex Orange Globes an hour ago. And I have to say they make a huge difference over my Lyr 2's stock tubes. The first thing I noticed was that the soundstage was expanded greatly, everything sounded much more natural. Besides that they actually sound better, in my opinion, on High Gain. The stock tubes on my Lyr 2 couldn't handle high gain as it would kill off the bass and increase brightness, but it did make everything sound more aggressive, but unnatural. With the Orange Globes on High Gain the Attack of the bass is much better and more agressive, but instead of receeding in quantity it actually increases, which I love. Besides that everything stays natural sounding and the soundstage is still fantastic. Listening to heavy metal on these is awesome! I can't wait to hear how the sound after they've burned in a bit! biggrin.gif

Edit: When it comes to the Amperex 1969 Orange Globes and Sennheiser HD 650s. Do you guys prefer Low Gain or High Gain?

Great to hear buddy. May I ask where you got your glass from? Was it eBay or through Head-Fi?

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #814 of 2,168

So after trying the '72 Voshkod Rockets (75/75) in the Valhalla 2, it didn't tame the HD700's hot as the sun treble. So I returned it.

Next step is either the Lyr 2, or a NOS dac to smear the treble.

If I wanted to be cutthroat as possible, what tube has good dynamics with a smeared/rolled off treble, but to the extremes? This being with the Lyr 2. I swear, every time I hear another sharp, painful "sss" I just want to sell these cans. The HD650 doesn't do it at all, but sadly the sound signature doesn't quite do it for me.

Still don't have enough experience yet to determine if I'd like the EL-8 enough to want to replace the HD700 with it. Never listened to an LCD before.

Have you read the 'Battle of the Flagships' thread here?  Here was the comment on the HD700's:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD700
 WEAKNESSES TREBLE: The treble presentation here is awkward. In the opinion of many, the HD700 is warmer than the HD800 (the HD800 has been criticized by some for being too bright). Well, to my ears, the HD700 is even brighter and sharper. With the HD700, cymbals tend to sound a bit strident and untamed. However, as I greatly enjoy several other aspects of the HD700's sound, the treble response doesn't ruin the headphone for me. That said, I am convinced that the HD600's and HD650's treble presentation is more natural.

SIBILANT: Harsh treble is typically accompanied by sibilance, so this particular commentary is kind of redundant. The HD700's sound signature happens to be noticeably sibilant.

I had similar but not as severe issues with my HD800's - a cable change to the Moon Black Dragon V2s cured that sibilant problem and then some.  So it may just be a negative quality of those HPs.

I don't think that I ever asked you this question @rb2013, but what are your favorite HPs?

Mar 15, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #815 of 2,168

I don't think that I ever asked you this question @rb2013, but what are your favorite HPs?

HD800's with the Moon Black Dragon V2 cables for sure!  W/O the Moon cable, I would have sold the HD800's and probably moved to a Stax set-up.  I have borrowed my friends LCD 2 rev2's and had a pair of the HE-500's.  I really liked both of them.  Sold the HE-500 mainly for comfort reasons.  I love the neutrality of the HD800/Moon combination.  The HD800 finished at #6 in the Battle of the Flagships thread.  With the Moon cables - I think higher.  Maybe even #3 or #4 - they improve the sound that much. 

But at some point I will add an Ortho to the collection.  Maybe the HE1000's or the LCD3's.  The best orthos still have more bass for hard rock, although the Moon extended the bass on the HD800s.

Mar 15, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #816 of 2,168
HD800's with the Moon Black Dragon V2 cables for sure!  W/O the Moon cable, I would have sold the HD800's and probably moved to a Stax set-up.  I have borrowed my friends LCD 2 rev2's and had a pair of the HE-500's.  I really liked both of them.  Sold the HE-500 mainly for comfort reasons.  I love the neutrality of the HD800/Moon combination.  The HD800 finished at #6 in the Battle of the Flagships thread.  With the Moon cables - I think higher.  Maybe even #3 or #4 - they improve the sound that much. 

But at some point I will add an Ortho to the collection.  Maybe the HE1000's or the LCD3's.  The best orthos still have more bass for hard rock, although the Moon extended the bass on the HD800s.

Thanks for your impressions on the HD800 and the Black Dragon V2. I will have such a combination sometime soon. Take care.

Mar 15, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #817 of 2,168

I highly recommend the LCD3s after spending several months with them. While their cable is plain looking, it actually is very good and an upgrade will not produce a noticeable difference, I had promised to update you on this a while back after building my custom cable from OCC Silver Plated with good connectors. I have not seen any noticeable difference between the stock cable and the upgraded cable, making it a really good deal because you get all you need straight out of the box.

The stock cable is AWG20 and is terminated very well: mini-xlr and the xlr for the AMP side. I highly recommend these headphones. I have seen a lot of traffic on the LCD 3f, but I have not spent time investigating that option.

And on top of everything else, they look so freakin awesome
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #818 of 2,168
I highly recommend the LCD3s after spending several months with them. While their cable is plain looking, it actually is very good and an upgrade will not produce a noticeable difference, I had promised to update you on this a while back after building my custom cable from OCC Silver Plated with good connectors. I have not seen any noticeable difference between the stock cable and the upgraded cable, making it a really good deal because you get all you need straight out of the box.

The stock cable is AWG20 and is terminated very well: mini-xlr and the xlr for the AMP side. I highly recommend these headphones. I have seen a lot of traffic on the LCD 3f, but I have not spent time investigating that option.

And on top of everything else, they look so freakin awesome :D  

Thanks for the heads up, I have been tempted to get the LCD-3 or the LCD-X, and it's good to know the stock cable works so well. And I agree Audeze LCD headphones look so boss, so bad to the bone. Damon this hobby and forever keeping my wallet as thin as a boardwalk fashion model:D.

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #819 of 2,168

And on top of everything else, they look so freakin awesome
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the heads up, I have been tempted to get the LCD-3 or the LCD-X, and it's good to know the stock cable works so well. And I agree Audeze LCD headphones look so boss, so bad to the bone. Damon this hobby and forever keeping my wallet as thin as a boardwalk fashion model:D.

Lol...I know buddy. Every now and then you tell yourself, this is it! I am done with spending money and I have reached nirvana in my setup...and a new thing comes up and you say, wait....wouldn't it be cool if I had that thing.....
wink_face.gif

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #820 of 2,168

Check Audiogon - there are a couple of LCD-X's for sale around $1200-$1300. This one is tempting:
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/over-ear-audeze-lcd-x-headphones-2015-03-03-headphones-64138-raytown-mo

Mar 15, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #821 of 2,168
I was sent a Lyr by Amazon by mistake-I ordered a Mjolnir I'll send it back for a refund.
Since I have it I am giving it a serious listen. For those who have had it AND the Lyr 2 does the Lyr 2 sound less distorted? I can hear some distortion as compared to my SS amp-but perhaps a  larger sense of space/soundstage. My SS sounds quite "musical." I just want to try alternatives to gain more soundstage. I wanted Mjolnir because it has balanced in- and the rest of my audio chain is balanced and I am assuming  the transformer I use to connect my balanced to unbalanced amps is reducing the quality of sound. It might not-but without trying the Mjolnir I can't say!

The larger soundstage  has me wondering if I want a Lyr 2-but it would have to sound cleaner than the Lyr. Perhaps the soundstage on the Mjolnir is as good or better than the Lyr?

My A/B comparisons are complicated by the need to move my HP between the two amps.  I can say the SS is cleaner-and I think Lyr has more ambience. Plenty of power either way.

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #822 of 2,168
I was sent a Lyr by Amazon by mistake-I ordered a Mjolnir I'll send it back for a refund.
Since I have it I am giving it a serious listen. For those who have had it AND the Lyr 2 does the Lyr 2 sound less distorted? I can hear some distortion as compared to my SS amp-but perhaps a  larger sense of space/soundstage. My SS sounds quite "musical." I just want to try alternatives to gain more soundstage. I wanted Mjolnir because it has balanced in- and the rest of my audio chain is balanced and I am assuming  the transformer I use to connect my balanced to unbalanced amps is reducing the quality of sound. It might not-but without trying the Mjolnir I can't say!

The larger soundstage  has me wondering if I want a Lyr 2-but it would have to sound cleaner than the Lyr. Perhaps the soundstage on the Mjolnir is as good or better than the Lyr?

My A/B comparisons are complicated by the need to move my HP between the two amps.  I can say the SS is cleaner-and I think Lyr has more ambience. Plenty of power either way.

You make some good points. I have a lyr2 and enjoy that lush, tube sound. However I was shocked at how great my Ragnarok ( the big brother of Mjolnir) in balanced mode, sounded. I was so impressed by the SS sound, I pulled the trigger, and got the Asgard2 . The A2 is a very nice, underrated SS amp, which I can leave on, when dealing with stuff, and not worry about unnecessary tube burn. But the lyr2, with the Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes, does blow away the A2, especiallyin SOUNDSTAGE and the holographic quality of the sound. And, with the right tubes, the bass and everything else can be magical. If you decide to get a lyr2, roll your tubes and get some NOS vokshods from Bob @rb2013. These tubes and others sound better than the stock tubes.

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #823 of 2,168
You make some good points. I have a lyr2 and enjoy that lush, tube sound. However I was shocked at how great my Ragnarok ( the big brother of Mjolnir) in balanced mode, sounded. I was so impressed by the SS sound, I pulled the trigger, and got the Asgard2 . The A2 is a very nice, underrated SS amp, which I can leave on, when dealing with stuff, and not worry about unnecessary tube burn. But the lyr2, with the Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes, does blow away the A2, especiallyin SOUNDSTAGE and the holographic quality of the sound. And, with the right tubes, the bass and everything else can be magical. If you decide to get a lyr2, roll your tubes and get some NOS vokshods from Bob @rb2013. These tubes and others sound better than the stock tubes.

Hi Reddog
Thanks! You got the Asgard2 even though you have Ragnarok? Does the Lyr2 blow away the Ragnarok? 

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #824 of 2,168
Hi Reddog
Thanks! You got the Asgard2 even though you have Ragnarok? Does the Lyr2 blow away the Ragnarok? 

No I love my Ragnarok, in balanced mode, it drives my Alpha Prime's like nothing else. My first Schiit Audio amp was the lyr2. I love the lyr2, but with my mom's Alzheimer's getting worst, I ended up leaving it, on unnecessarily and to avoid undo tube burn out, I got a A2. I use the lyr2, when my mother has crashed for the night. I use the rag, as my primary listening station, it's hooked up to my oppo BDP--103. I am planning on getting the Yggdrasil, later this year. The rag in balanced mode is great, but the lyr2's single-ended output, is better than the Ragnarok's single-ended out.

Mar 15, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #825 of 2,168
No I love my Ragnarok, in balanced mode, it drives my Alpha Prime's like nothing else. My first Schiit Audio amp was the lyr2. I love the lyr2, but with my mom's Alzheimer's getting worst, I ended up leaving it, on unnecessarily and to avoid undo tube burn out, I got a A2. I use the lyr2, when my mother has crashed for the night. I use the rag, as my primary listening station, it's hooked up to my oppo BDP--103. I am planning on getting the Yggdrasil, later this year. The rag in balanced mode is great, but the lyr2's single-ended output, is better than the Ragnarok's single-ended out.

I am sorry to hear about your Mother's situation!!
I am currently using a BDP-105D.  So the Rag in balanced has a great sound stage-better than Lyr2-but Lyr 2 is better unbalanced? I am wondering if I should just go for the Ragnarok and be "done" rather than getting Mjolnir. Also I'll bet the 2 channel  speaker performance is likely superior to my Yamaha middle range A/V receiver. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back