NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Feb 21, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #766 of 2,168
I can't speak about the Vali, but Lyr2 + Gold Lions tamed my shrill/bright "harsh" treble. But I also use T1 headphones.  The stock tubes were too bright to my ears.
Go back in this thread to page 47 and you will see Xoen and others comments about this with me. I found the GL's on ebay; I added a link during that discussion as well.
$76'ish shipped.

Thanks for the info. Just curious about a couple of things if you don't mind me asking.
How long of a burn in did you give your GL? And
How do you characterize the sound signature compared to stock (namely soundstage, bass, and highs)

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #767 of 2,168
The GLs starts to open up at about 20-30 hours burn in time from my experience. By the 100 hour or so mark they seem to reach their full potential.
Thanks for the info. Just curious about a couple of things if you don't mind me asking.
How do you characterize the sound signature compared to stock (namely soundstage, bass, and highs)

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #768 of 2,168
  Does anyone find that the Lyr has any advantages/differences over the Lyr 2 or is it purely a no-reason-not-to upgrade situation?

If you are using very low impedance HPs like the 702's or IEM's the gain switch is a must.  For other HPs - the Lyr2 offers slightly low noise do to a change in the tube heater circuit from AC to DC.  And some additional PS filtering.  But the tube choices were narrowed do to the lower current limit of the PS changes.

I have heard both and on my HD800's they sound almost identical - same MOSFET class A outputs (with the same tubes).  Both are very sensitive to tube changes so respond well to better tubes (see the Lyr Tube Rolling thread).

I have a few extra pairs of the excellent '70's Voskhods for under $50 - PM if interested. 

Cheers!

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #769 of 2,168

The Gold Lions add to the bass, without leaking into the mids. Th e mids become smoother and highs are spot on. The soundstage opens up and becomes more holographic.. I thought the GL's burned in pretty well after 100 hours, but they seem to get better with extended burn in.

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #770 of 2,168
The Gold Lions add to the bass, without leaking into the mids. Th e mids become smoother and highs are spot on. The soundstage opens up and becomes more holographic.. I thought the GL's burned in pretty well after 100 hours, but they seem to get better with extended burn in.

Thanks reddog.....Man I am seriously thinking about picking up a pair of these now. The price is right and it will give a different perspective being modern make tubes. They go for about 69-70 a pair I believe. Is eBay the way to go or one of the other warehouses?

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #771 of 2,168
Thanks reddog.....Man I am seriously thinking about picking up a pair of these now. The price is right and it will give a different perspective being modern make tubes. They go for about 69-70 a pair I believe. Is eBay the way to go or one of the other warehouses?

That's hard to say. If the merchant/ seller, on EBay, has a good rep get the tubes from them. If not get the Gold Lions from the warehouses / internet stores, like Upscaleaudio or Tube World. I like trying modern production tubes, just because, they are less expensive than the hard to find NOS tubes. Another good modern production tube, after extensive burn is the Telefunken TK E88CC tubes. But my favorite current production tubes are the Gold Lions.

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #772 of 2,168

Sorry late reply; but what they said above. 'Cept I haven't put more than 20hrs or so burn in thus far. Life has a way of interrupting. 
Anyway, I did notice an immediate difference from the stock tubes, minus any burn in. Very impressed by that.
The guy I referenced on eBay p.47 of this thread had great reviews, and I got mine fast with decent packaging/no damage.

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #773 of 2,168
A few dumb questions from a new Lyr 2 owner in search of tube advice.

What are the differences in Gold Lions when the options are:

- Gold grade
- Platinum grade
- Cryogenically treated

What are the SQ differences between Gold Lions and Telefunkens?

Which socket savers are good, and where can I find them?

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #774 of 2,168
Just my 2 cents - I have heard all the new production tubes GL's, EH's, Sovtek, Black Sables, JJ, etc..even the Russian 6n23p-EV and -EB.

None can compare in SQ to a lower priced pair of vintage tubes.  The Amperex Orange Globes can be had for $40/pr same for the '71-'73 Voskhod SWGP 6n23p.

That's half the price of the GL's.

I think many here who post about the 'greatness' of the GL's have very limited experience with other tubes.  They are better then the stock tubes - but are very expensive for what they give you.

I have rolled over 50 different 6922 types in my Lyr over the last few years - you can get better. YMMV.

PS Where the GL's are good if you have a pre-amp that needs 6 or more matched tubes (like the CJ-16ls) - that becomes very hard to find in the vintage market.  But pairs are easy to find.  There is a thread dedicated to tube rolling in the Lyr - which is a good source.  Just post your preferences, and system and you will get recommendations. http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/5325

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #775 of 2,168
I think I'm trying to justify the cost of Lyr 2 with 75 HG Reflector tubes over the Vali and at the same time not sound like a idiot.
So I feel like I'm trying to say to myself the Lyr 2 is better.

But when I'm casually listening, I can't tell the difference between the two. The Lye 2 with 75 HG and Vali sound signature sound so similar and they perform on such a similar level, it's really hard to tell the difference.

You got to really listen for the difference.  Yes, the Lyr 2 bass goes lower and the treble extends slightly higher and sound stage slightly more open and slightly more detailed and layered while the Vali has more mid bass oriented and mid centric and sounds little more intimate but these differences are very subtle... at least on my LCD-2F.

I feel like I'm keeping the Lyr 2 just because it looks better stacked on top of the Uber Bifrost.

All that you love about the Voskhod and Reflectors, the Vali does it, really well! 

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #776 of 2,168
  A few dumb questions from a new Lyr 2 owner in search of tube advice.

What are the differences in Gold Lions when the options are:

- Gold grade
- Platinum grade
- Cryogenically treated

What are the SQ differences between Gold Lions and Telefunkens?

Which socket savers are good, and where can I find them?

Don't worry man and ask all your questions - most of us are here to learn and discover.

I will leave the Gold and Platinum question for someone else to answer -  

Is your SQ question regarding new production Telefunkens or Gold Lions vs. vintage/New Old Stock (NOS)?

Here are links to socket savers. I bought the ones from eBay but both options will give you good results:
Tubemonger:
http://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_with_Vibration_Red_B9A_NOVAL_p/novib.htm
eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-9pin-Generic-Tube-Socket-Testing-Saver-12AX7-12AT7-12AU7-6DJ8-ECC82-6922-/221139965944?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337cf817f8

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #777 of 2,168
  I think I'm trying to justify the cost of Lyr 2 with 75 HG Reflector tubes over the Vali and at the same time not sound like a idiot.
So I feel like I'm trying to say to myself the Lyr 2 is better.

But when I'm casually listening, I can't tell the difference between the two. The Lye 2 with 75 HG and Vali sound signature sound so similar and they perform on such a similar level, it's really hard to tell the difference.

You got to really listen for the difference.  Yes, the Lyr 2 bass goes lower and the treble extends slightly higher and sound stage slightly more open and slightly more detailed and layered while the Vali has more mid bass oriented and mid centric and sounds little more intimate but these differences are very subtle... at least on my LCD-2F.

I feel like I'm keeping the Lyr 2 just because it looks better stacked on top of the Uber Bifrost.

All that you love about the Voskhod and Reflectors, the Vali does it, really well! 

Thanks for your detailed comments - I have always wondered about the Vali.  And will get one to mod - upgrade the caps and a few other tweeks inside. I absolutely love my Lyr!  I had a tricked out Woo WA6-SE before - and to me the Lyr with the right tubes is better.  More dynamic and exciting.  With all the NOS tubes and upgrades on my WOO I was in over $1800.

Cheers!

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #779 of 2,168
Just of follow up and balance my comments with different headphone.  While I found very subtle differences between the Lyr 2 with 75 Reflectors and Vali, with my PS 500e, I find greater difference.  The sound signature is still some what close...but the Lyr 2 is definitely more open, deeper, wider in soundstage with more detailed and layered than the Vali.  The Vali is more closed in and intimate and more mid centric.  

It may be a matter of synergy and preference but with the LCD-2F, I prefer the Vali, but with the PS 500e, I prefer the Lyr 2 with 75 Reflectors. 
I also think the LCD-2F is just a more forgiving headphone.  So the differences don't stand out as much. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #780 of 2,168
Just of follow up and balance my comments with different headphone.  While I found very subtle differences between the Lyr 2 with 75 Reflectors and Vali, with my PS 500e, I find greater difference.  The sound signature is still some what close...but the Lyr 2 is definitely more open, deeper, wider in soundstage with more detailed and layered than the Vali.  The Vali is more closed in and intimate and more mid centric.  

It may be a matter of synergy and preference but with the LCD-2F, I prefer the Vali, but with the PS 500e, I prefer the Lyr 2 with 75 Reflectors. 
I also think the LCD-2F is just a more forgiving headphone.  So the differences don't stand out as much. 

Good to hear, haven't used my PS500e on my desktop rig much, sounds like I need too strap the Grados to t Lyr 2! Thanks Sling!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back