NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Jul 24, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #106 of 2,168
  So are you saying that there is not as much noticeable differences between tubes as compared to the Lyr 1?

I am not going to generalize as I have only tried a few tube sets. However, the addition of the gain switch and regulated supplies means that tubes otherwise unacceptable due to hum or noise are now an option for a wide range of cans. Now one does have to watch one's wallet if tube-rolling is an irresistible temptation.
wink_face.gif

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #107 of 2,168
I'm very close to ordering the new Lyr 2 for the HD700, but before I do, I'd like to rule out the Mjolnir. Has anyone had any experience with the both amps? Cost wise, with quality tubes for the Lyr, both amps will be similar.

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #108 of 2,168
Sounds like a great pair of tubes Jamato.  I just bout the Lyr 2, which is my first amp with tubes, can you or anyone suggest a good set of tubes for HD600, something that will liven them up and bring out some bass? I like to hear bass texture, and real sounding music with a great sound stage and separation, once again to get that "real" sound. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #109 of 2,168
While I haven't tried the 
  I'm very close to ordering the new Lyr 2 for the HD700, but before I do, I'd like to rule out the Mjolnir. Has anyone had any experience with the both amps? Cost wise, with quality tubes for the Lyr, both amps will be similar.

While I have not heard the Mjolnir with the HD700's be advised that you would also have to factor in balanced cables for the HD700 as it does not have an unbalanced input. Schiit does provide a home trial as well.

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #110 of 2,168

Not having heard the Mjolnir, I think your decision should should be based on whether or not you want tubes. I like having both solid state and tube amps in my system. Different combinations of sources, recordings, and headphones may sound more pleasing to you through Lry 2 as opposed to the Mjolnir. Maybe the right question is which should you get first?

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #112 of 2,168
Not having heard the Mjolnir, I think your decision should should be based on whether or not you want tubes. I like having both solid state and tube amps in my system. Different combinations of sources, recordings, and headphones may sound more pleasing to you through Lry 2 as opposed to the Mjolnir. Maybe the right question is which should you get first?

I am definitely leaning more towards the Lyr 2. I also think that my Ultrasone Pro 900s would benefit quite a bit from a tube amp, based on my readings. Once I have enough money saved away, I think my next dac/amp will be the Grace M903 after I acquire Lyr 2.

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #114 of 2,168
no lyr 1 / lyr 2 comparison yet ?

I have both, letting the 2 burn in. I think they are both good and if I didn't have the 2, would be happy with the 1, even knowing the sound of the 2. I realize I have mentioned the sound difference but I haven't gone into any real comparisons other than knowing how each sounds but not how they sound back to back. Also I don't have 2 pairs of tubes that are the same, to do a rapid back and forth but in general they are both musical with the music scape a little more open on the 2 and a possible greater timbre accuracy on the 2 but again, I like them both. 

Probably around 24 hours or a little more on the 2 now. Bass is boomy, which I would assume will improve but it kind of floods the sound scape. Most likely needs a good 100 hours or so for the caps to form and so on. 

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #115 of 2,168
  I have both, letting the 2 burn in. I think they are both good and if I didn't have the 2, would be happy with the 1, even knowing the sound of the 2. I realize I have mentioned the sound difference but I haven't gone into any real comparisons other than knowing how each sounds but not how they sound back to back. Also I don't have 2 pairs of tubes that are the same, to do a rapid back and forth but in general they are both musical with the music scape a little more open on the 2 and a possible greater timbre accuracy on the 2 but again, I like them both. 

Probably around 24 hours or a little more on the 2 now. Bass is boomy, which I would assume will improve but it kind of floods the sound scape. Most likely needs a good 100 hours or so for the caps to form and so on. 

I guess my question is about the noise floor...I've heard it's supposed to be lower with the 2.  What are your thoughts?
Cheers and Thanks!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #116 of 2,168
The noise floor is significantly lower due to two changes. First the gain switch allows you to optimize for sensitivity sine the gain is after the volume control. The other is the addition of regulation to the tube supplies that reduces hum and line noise.

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #119 of 2,168
  Thanks for the info!  I went ahead and ordered one to replace the Lyr I sold a little while ago. 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

The noise floor is very, very low, I can't hear any hiss and the background is very black. 

I received my Telefunken E88CC today from Upscale Audio, Platinum and Gold grade, one pair of each. Not cheap but very, very fine sounding. Balanced and clean with beautiful transparency. Get them while you can, Telefunken 6DJ8 types are hard to find. Also they have the 7DJ8, which I wish I would have gotten a pair and those are also good. Gold grade is all that you should need for the amp. 

The Teles E88C remind me of the Tele 12AX7 but not as sterile. More musical and complete. Definitely different from the other 6DJ8 types I have. 

Jul 27, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #120 of 2,168
The Lyr 2 is starting to kick into high gear now. Very dynamic and solid. Nice depth in the sound field and rhythm that fits the music. Sounds good with all my headphones. The Telefunken E88CC are proving their worth. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back