NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Jul 30, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #121 of 2,168
Hi all:
I recently rolled the stock tubes of my lyr 2, to a pair of gold lions and I am very happy. The bass on my alpha dogs seem deeper, a bit more defined. The sound seems less veiled and more transparent, and holographic than the stock tubes. Overall I am very impressed with the new tubes and I hope to try the telefunken E88CC sometime.

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #123 of 2,168
What's up with all of this "I rolled tubes and the difference is amazing" comments? Are the stock tubes really that shabby?

If the tubes are similar to what shipped with the first Lyr than the answer is a resounding "yes". Better tubes will make a huge difference.

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #124 of 2,168
  What's up with all of this "I rolled tubes and the difference is amazing" comments? Are the stock tubes really that shabby?

The stock tubes are the 6BZ7, which preceded the 6dJ8 and were used in TV's and so on. I like them and for the price they are a great tube. There are many tastes and preferences in sound so, the difference in opinions but tube rolling will get you many things, like broke, but the option being there, makes it all the more fun and a pliable amp it is. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #125 of 2,168
So my stock GE tubes finally opened up and wow.  This is my first experience with an amp that uses tubes and they really make my HD600s come alive and soon two new sets of tubes are coming my way, can't wait to hear the difference.  With a solid state amp the music comes form an X,Y axes, with the Lyr 2 the sound comes from an X,Y and Z axes, much more 3D.  Also, I thought bad (live) recordings would sound worse, actually I feel like the tubes make them sound better.  Cheers to all that are enjoying this wonderful amp.

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #126 of 2,168
The stock tubes are the 6BZ7, which preceded the 6dJ8 and were used in TV's and so on. I like them and for the price they are a great tube. There are many tastes and preferences in sound so, the difference in opinions but tube rolling will get you many things, like broke, but the option being there, makes it all the more fun and a pliable amp it is. 
I agree the stock tubes sound pretty good after a good burn in. I recently rolled my stock tubes with the gold lions and the sound signature changed. I prefer the gold lions when I am listening to music with a lot of bass. But the stock tubes seem better at playing classical and groups like negativeland. I hope to get the telefunken E88CC tubes sometime this fall, however most of my money is going towards a Gungnir usb dac.

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #127 of 2,168
So my stock GE tubes finally opened up and wow.  This is my first experience with an amp that uses tubes and they really make my HD600s come alive and soon two new sets of tubes are coming my way, can't wait to hear the difference.  With a solid state amp the music comes form an X,Y axes, with the Lyr 2 the sound comes from an X,Y and Z axes, much more 3D.  Also, I thought bad (live) recordings would sound worse, actually I feel like the tubes make them sound better.  Cheers to all that are enjoying this wonderful amp.
Great description of how the stock tubes sound after they have burned in a bit. Please have a good time listening to your lyr 2:). I plan on listening to some frank zappa's "shut up and play your guitar" on my lyr 2.

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #128 of 2,168
Wow, I am surprised there are more comments on the 2. To my ear, it does an excellent job. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #129 of 2,168
For the people here using the lyr2 with HE500 what position is your volume knob on when listening?  Just curious.  I find myself between around 10 and 11 o'clock.  Maybe my hearing is going out....as I feel like that's pretty high...

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #130 of 2,168
Many things determine where you have the volume control. Voltage out of your source to the amp, hearing sensitivity of the phones, volume the recording was recorded at, gain of the amp and on and on. Use whatever volume setting you need to for the music. I would be around 11oclock with the 500's, depending on the variables involved.

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #131 of 2,168
^i am at 12:30 with the HE560's, depends on the recording, the source, and how loud you listen......enjoy the music!

Aug 9, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #132 of 2,168
^i am at 12:30 with the HE560's, depends on the recording, the source, and how loud you listen......enjoy the music!

How are the HE-560 working out? Do they compliment your alpha dogs. I am tempted to get the 560's, to compliment my dogs. Have a great evening.

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #133 of 2,168
How are the HE-560 working out? Do they compliment your alpha dogs. I am tempted to get the 560's, to compliment my dogs. Have a great evening.

Reddog, the 560's are very, very good, not ready. For a full review yet, Ned more head time. They do compliment the Alpha Dogs well, similar SQ, not quite as hot on the high end. The Alpha Dogs are my cans of choice when I need to be quieter, at work or in a noisy environment. My 650's have been benched, guess I need to sell them to fund a better DAC.

How are you enjoying the 400i's?

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #134 of 2,168
Reddog, the 560's are very, very good, not ready. For a full review yet, Ned more head time. They do compliment the Alpha Dogs well, similar SQ, not quite as hot on the high end. The Alpha Dogs are my cans of choice when I need to be quieter, at work or in a noisy environment. My 650's have been benched, guess I need to sell them to fund a better DAC.

How are you enjoying the 400i's?

Hopefully the HE-400i demos will be here next week. I will let you know how they sound soon.

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #135 of 2,168
Anyone run some 6SN7's with adapters in the Lyr 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back