NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Aug 17, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #136 of 2,168
  Anyone run some 6SN7's with adapters in the Lyr 2?

No, because it is not an appropriate replacement. For one thing its filament current is 600ma which is double that which the regulation supports.

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #137 of 2,168
Hi all:
I recently rolled the stock tubes of my lyr 2, to a pair of gold lions and I am very happy. The bass on my alpha dogs seem deeper, a bit more defined. The sound seems less veiled and more transparent, and holographic than the stock tubes. Overall I am very impressed with the new tubes and I hope to try the telefunken E88CC sometime.

Good to hear that you're enjoying your lions! I always wanted to try the Alpha Dogs. I am rolling Orange Globes with Sennheiser HD 650s, Bugle Boys with HE-500s, and Vokshod Rockets, which seem quite versatile, with both of them. Listening to the Vokshods as I type. For the Bugle Boys, I believe the magic year is 1959 or 1958 (can't recall off the top of my head). I'll need to check out the lions.

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #138 of 2,168
Good to hear that you're enjoying your lions! I always wanted to try the Alpha Dogs. I am rolling Orange Globes with Sennheiser HD 650s, Bugle Boys with HE-500s, and Vokshod Rockets, which seem quite versatile, with both of them. Listening to the Vokshods as I type. For the Bugle Boys, I believe the magic year is 1959 or 1958 (can't recall off the top of my head). I'll need to check out the lions.

I hear the vokshods are great sounding in the Lyr2. I hear the HD 650s are great sounding cans, almost got a set the other day. Please take care and thanks for your views on the tubes you have rolled in your lyr2., it is greatly appreciated.

Aug 17, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #139 of 2,168
I hear the vokshods are great sounding in the Lyr2. I hear the HD 650s are great sounding cans, almost got a set the other day. Please take care and thanks for your views on the tubes you have rolled in your lyr2., it is greatly appreciated.

Well, I am still using the Lyr, not to the Lyr 2 yet. The HD 650s are indeed great sounding, but so are the Alpha Dogs. 

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #140 of 2,168
Well, I am still using the Lyr, not to the Lyr 2 yet. The HD 650s are indeed great sounding, but so are the Alpha Dogs. 

The Alpha Dogs are simply fantastic, the sound never fails to put a smile on my face. Also the dogs help isolate outside novice, so I can focus on my reading and writing.. I do wish I had a set of Alpha Dogs while in college, they would had allowed me filter outside noise , so I could study more efficiently. Please have a good morning.

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #141 of 2,168
I just ordered my Schiit Lyr 2, to go with my Schiit Uberfrost-USB-Flac files from computer
Right now I have the BeyerDynamic T1 headphones, but maybe in the near future I will get my HD800 and LCD2 Rev 2 back or get a HE500 or 560. listening to classical music and progressive rock\classic rock mainly.
I used to have the Bifrost with the Violectric V200 amp, but it sounded really dull and lifeless with my HD800 and LCD2,
I hope the Lyr will make me love my headphones once again.

I also ordered Telefunken pcc85 tubes, got them for a good price. hope they will make a noticeable difference.
Just a quick question- Can I burn in the amp WITHOUT the tubes installed or is this a stupid idea? I don't want to waste precious tube hours for the burn in process..

thanks.

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #142 of 2,168
  I just ordered my Schiit Lyr 2, to go with my Schiit Uberfrost-USB-Flac files from computer
Right now I have the BeyerDynamic T1 headphones, but maybe in the near future I will get my HD800 and LCD2 Rev 2 back or get a HE500 or 560. listening to classical music and progressive rock\classic rock mainly.
I used to have the Bifrost with the Violectric V200 amp, but it sounded really dull and lifeless with my HD800 and LCD2,
I hope the Lyr will make me love my headphones once again.

I also ordered Telefunken pcc85 tubes, got them for a good price. hope they will make a noticeable difference.
Just a quick question- Can I burn in the amp WITHOUT the tubes installed or is this a stupid idea? I don't want to waste precious tube hours for the burn in process..

thanks.

I am afraid that the PCC85's are not an optimum choice due to their filament requirement for 9v  as compared to 6.3v for the stock tubes. I have a pair of PCC189's from Lorenz that work well with a 7.6v requirement but I haven't heard anyone recommending the PCC85's. That being said, since their filament rating is 300ma, you will not exceed the Lyr specs but will likely only be running about 215ma of heater current in the Lyr 2. You might want to send a note to Jason to confirm.

As far as burning in, no you cannot do it without the tubes. My suggestion is to enjoy the stock tubes during the time and get to know their sound before trying the Telel's. Then you will be in position to evaluate whether they are an improvement.

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #145 of 2,168
  No, because it is not an appropriate replacement. For one thing its filament current is 600ma which is double that which the regulation supports.

Good reason. I was thinking of my analog section I built for my dac that can handle the current demands of most any tubes filaments. 

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #147 of 2,168
ditto, I'm back in the Lyr game now also!

last year sold off:  HE-500 and Lyr.
now back again with "upgrades": HE-560 and Lyr 2.

will install my leftover Ediswan tubes first, then look toward Siemens, Amperex SQ, Telefunken E88CC  and call it good.  hopefully.

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #148 of 2,168
The Lyr 2 does a great job with the 560's. I am very happy with this combination. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #150 of 2,168
Using my stock tube Lyr2 with Modi. When on the HE-500 with hi gain there is a noticeable background/static noise when theres no sound playing. Anybody else have this problem with theirs? or did I get a defective product (which I doubt). I also find stock tubes to be a bit lacking in the bass, mids are great but bass and treble not so much.

Also, the knob gets HOT. I don't mind that the rest of the metal body get hot but sometime when I have to adjust the volume it would freaking burn my finger if I touch it for more than 1 second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back