NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Jul 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #76 of 2,168
My Lyr 2 has arrived and is now loaded with Orange Globe´s. Seems like the Lyr 2 is the perfect partner for my Alpha Dogs.
Now I have to save some money to do the next step, buying a bifrost.
I have to say that there´s coming very good stuff from the US.

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #77 of 2,168
Phonelaf, I received my Alpha Dogs Saturday and I am using a Lyr 2 as well, with Voskhod Silver Shields, it is a wonderful pairing. I am currently using a Modi as my DAC, hopefully a Bitfrost soon. What are you using as a DAC presently, what types of music do you listen to?

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #78 of 2,168
Hi, 
I´m using a HRT Microstreamer at the moment. I like many types of music. Currently I´m listening a lot to Tommy Guerrero, Massive Attack, Daft Punk and older Jack Johnson songs.

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #80 of 2,168
I ended up deciding on the Lake People G109-S after all. It arrived from Germany about 1 week ago. The reviews on Headfonia and InnerFidelity sounded more in line what I was looking for (neutral and transparent). Indeed it is and does sound stellar with my Bifrost. I just wasn't sure about going tubes so I couldn't go with the Lyr2. Too bad I don't have the coin to get it as well. Sounds like you're enjoying yours. Happy listening!

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #81 of 2,168
I got my Lyr 2 this week, and I can't find anything negative to say about it. Yes I have the Alpha Dogs and they sound great on it, but I never thought that a more sensitive hp like the TH900 would sound so good. On low gain, I have no worries that the Lyr 2 is too powerful for any of my 25 - 32 ohm cans.

I'm pretty happy with my rig, right now. The Lyr 2 has line outputs that allow me to run my powered monitors through it. I'm also am using the Schiit Sys (in reverse) to switch between my Violectric V200 and the Lyr 2, all through the Bifrost.

I'm using '78 Voskhod silver shields and they certainly make for a great listening experience. I'm getting a warm sound with great bass presence and timbre. The mids are not too forward and the treble is lush and smooth. Extension in both the bass and treble are there, too. I really like the base sound signature of this amp and rolling in tubes to taste is going to be a blast!

Again, I never expected this to be my primary amp for the TH900, I bought it for my Alpha Dogs. The V200 is a pain to adjust the gain because of the dip switches in the rear, and the Alpha Dogs do need a boost on that amp. While the V200 is certainly more detailed (to my ears), that doesn't always equate to a more pleasurable listening experience. As far as soundstage goes, I'm tempted to give the nod to the Lyr 2, with the current tubes I'm running. With so many tube options it's hard to make any definitive comparisons.

The tubes are still powered while passing through to the line outputs. That's about the only negative that I can think of.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #84 of 2,168

I'm pretty sure that the tubes are not involved with the RCA outs.  They just don't have a way to not be powered while the amp is on.  I could be wrong, though. 

The tubes are actively processing the signal when you are using the preamp output. Its preamp is not passive.

Jul 21, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #86 of 2,168
What does the Lyr 2 come with the 6BZ7? I ordered one to replace my still good sounding Lyr. Odd there aren't more reviews, comparisons and impressions. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #87 of 2,168
What does the Lyr 2 come with the 6BZ7? I ordered one to replace my still good sounding Lyr. Odd there aren't more reviews, comparisons and impressions. 

Yes. My Lyr 2 came with 6BZ7 tubes. I agree with you. I excepted to see more buzz about the Lyr 2 here. The gain switch adds major flexibility and I'm confident in its ability to perform well above its price point!

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #88 of 2,168

Yes, 6BZ7's, the Lyr 2 is a great amp. Not much in reviews, but word on the 560 Thread is very positive about the combination. Plus,recent meet/show threads have some very favorable impressions.

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #89 of 2,168
Well I will know soon enough. I am listening to the Lyr right now with some Amperex A frame. In storage I have Orange globes, white, more A frames, PQ and many others. Years ago I didn't like the 6DJ8 family, back in the early 90's and started working with them more. My analogue stage I built for my Dac is 6DJ8 based. I originally suggested to Schiit that they use the 6BZ7 as it was the original 6DJ8 tube in TV's and an inexpensive but decent tube and better than what they were selling with the original Lyr. In the right set up, with the bias right and plate voltage, the 6BZ7 can sound as good as any 6DJ8 but that requires knowing what you are doing with the circuit. My favorite bias is battery bias for tubes. Easy to do and because of its placement, the battery is kept charged and if within a voltage range of single or multiples of the AA or AAA batteries voltage, the bias will float to the right voltage. Nothing cleaner or better sounding for bias, IMO. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #90 of 2,168
Yes, 6BZ7's, the Lyr 2 is a great amp. Not much in reviews, but word on the 560 Thread is very positive about the combination. Plus,recent meet/show threads have some very favorable impressions.

My lyr 2 and alpha dogs sound great together. I listen to all types of music, and the lyr 2 makes the sound stage on the AD'S seem more spacious and the treble wand bass more detailed. I
Was going to start rolling tubes but do to a accident, I will have to wait another month before I roll tubes. Please have a great night., I need to t a key my meds and try to get some sleep..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back