New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Dec 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #1,966 of 8,377
During my conversation with Jerry at the recent Mook festival, I did ask him on the bass adjustable knobs on the cable.
He told me that he will releasing the parts to 3rd party cable makers so that they can design their own cables for Roxy...
I asked him whether it is possible to have the twin knobs be used to adjust the bass and treble, instead of 2 bass knobs for separate channels and he did reply that it is still possible with the necessary parts.

So fingers crossed that in the not so distant future, there will be after-market cable for Roxy with tuneable bass and treble knobs.

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #1,967 of 8,377
Imaging if you are using balanced mode you need 6 switch? DYI a small box with 6 variable resistor on the panel, terminal the Roxanne cable to 8pin mini XLR like what 3A have. each of them will have their adjustable bass, mid & high but.... too many thing bring along eh? lol ..  

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #1,971 of 8,377
I think the thing we should remember is that the Roxanne was designed for a particular "sound". Having all parts of it adjustable might cause it to not sound the way its supposed to. Also the fact that not only audiophiles will be using the Roxanne but artists and performers as well, and they need that extra oomph especially as they perform, and depending on which instrument they use, they would need that bass adjustment.

The thing is to look at who are the main clients of JH Audio (which are their "rockstars") and know that they're catering to their needs, as well as the needs of the audiophile community like us :)

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #1,973 of 8,377
Maybe to compensate for a persons ears?

Potential problem I see is the 2 channels may stay imbalance at the lowest and highest level of bass response. Over time the adjustment knobs may mis-align and we would have similar problem like the analog volume knob.

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #1,974 of 8,377
Potential problem I see is the 2 channels may stay imbalance at the lowest and highest level of bass response. Over time the adjustment knobs may mis-align and we would have similar problem like the analog volume knob.
Little chance of that happening. Not the kinda pot that you could accidentally bump and change.

Also I doubt if someone would adjust continuously. Once set, probably would just leave it as it is. Higher chance of it getting sticky over a longer time instead of getting loose.

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #1,975 of 8,377
Little chance of that happening. Not the kinda pot that you could accidentally bump and change.

Also I doubt if someone would adjust continuously. Once set, probably would just leave it as it is. Higher chance of it getting sticky over a longer time instead of getting loose.

Maybe should just solder the fixed value resistor but that loose out the flexibility. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #1,976 of 8,377

That's what I am hoping and expecting. When I tried the Roxanne I like the lowest and the highest level of bass response on all music I played. I'm seeing myself switching back and forth on both ends of the knob depending on my listening mood.

Maybe I am just paranoid, when I was a kid I remember those analogue pots on our Radios and TVs. As they get constant abuse everyday the channels at both ends of the pot gets a bit difficult to tune in up to a point you can't tune in at all. The volume goes from too soft to too loud all of a sudden.

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #1,977 of 8,377

Still hope that it will be changed to one single pot on the final product, which I too don't see why they want to implement 2 individual channel adjustments.
A single pot design would theoretically make the part smaller to manufacture.

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #1,978 of 8,377
  It's hardly been a day since the wife and son has left the house but the affair cannot wait :-

1 week demo courtesy of JH Audio

And crap, I forgot to demo that amp while I was there. Next time!

I wonder how Jerry is bonding the cable connector to the shell. I suppose he could be strategically immersing the connector in the acrylic during the UV curing phase, or, alternatively, perhaps they are drilling the fully-cured shell and then inserting the connector into the hole with some adhesive or some liquid acrylic.

Only reason I'm raising the question at all is because of wondering about robustness/longevity of the joint between the connector and the shell.

Even though I would have never thought to ask this myself, given that Jerry has been doing this before anyone else was, for rock stars where it has to be dependable, I'm assuming he's figured that out sufficiently well enough. 
smile.gif

So I'm doing a little listening, after lunch with friends, at my local Starbucks and doing the little critical listening difference between my HM-901 & ZX1 trying to pick up differences in the bass extension and decay, treble extension and any sibilance or peaks using Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah & Eagles' (Live) Hotel California.

Whilst writing my notes the DAP rolled to the next track, something I never really listen to - Rammstein's Du Hast and that just grabbed me. The Roxanne's were just rockin' with this track. I've completely gotten off critical listening & just enjoying this IEM with a different genre of music. Naturally I'll need to listen to these tracks with my regular IEM later in the week.

I may need to explore my genre a little more with these IEMs and expand beyond my normal test tracks.

Nice, looking forward for more impressions. By the way, in which bass level you set the Roxanne while listening to Rammstein's Du hast?

I'm going to be honest that I actually don't know. I'll need to talk to Currawong again on the available settings on the units. Basically not changed since Jerry/Corbyn passed it to us after the show (but they did reset it first before handing to us) - no it's not on the minimal setting (nor max).

IIRC it is 9 o'clock for neutral, 2pm for JH-13 equivalent, and 4pm for JH-16 equivalent. The pots are log, not linear, so you don't notice changes until after about 12 o'clock anyway. They are supposed to be set together at the same level. I think the frequency bumps are at 200 Hz and 8 kHz respectively, but I'm going from memory here so don't take my word for it. The differences weren't dramatic.

During my conversation with Jerry at the recent Mook festival, I did ask him on the bass adjustable knobs on the cable.
He told me that he will releasing the parts to 3rd party cable makers so that they can design their own cables for Roxy...
I asked him whether it is possible to have the twin knobs be used to adjust the bass and treble, instead of 2 bass knobs for separate channels and he did reply that it is still possible with the necessary parts.

So fingers crossed that in the not so distant future, there will be after-market cable for Roxy with tuneable bass and treble knobs.

When I asked him about this he said he assumed people would just adjust it once and leave it. He can do different knobs but it would make the adjustment box a lot bigger, which is not ideal.

Btw.. .anyone know why the bass adjustment need to be separated instead of using the same switch/ knob?

Again, going from memory, I think he said in effect that a combined knob would be too big I think, and possibly not accurate enough. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #1,979 of 8,377
That's what I am hoping and expecting. When I tried the Roxanne I like the lowest and the highest level of bass response on all music I played. I'm seeing myself switching back and forth on both ends of the knob depending on my listening mood.

Maybe I am just paranoid, when I was a kid I remember those analogue pots on our Radios and TVs. As they get constant abuse everyday the channels at both ends of the pot gets a bit difficult to tune in up to a point you can't tune in at all. The volume goes from too soft to too loud all of a sudden.

And crap, I forgot to demo that amp while I was there. Next time!

Even though I would have never thought to ask this myself, given that Jerry has been doing this before anyone else was, for rock stars where it has to be dependable, I'm assuming he's figured that out sufficiently well enough. :smile:

IIRC it is 9 o'clock for neutral, 2pm for JH-13 equivalent, and 4pm for JH-16 equivalent. The pots are log, not linear, so you don't notice changes until after about 12 o'clock anyway. They are supposed to be set together at the same level. I think the frequency bumps are at 200 Hz and 8 kHz respectively, but I'm going from memory here so don't take my word for it. The differences weren't dramatic.

Sure, give the TUR-06 a shot! Just need to give it 1 min to settle, tube are hypersensitive to vibrations.

Ok so it seems to start from 8 am to 5 pm, I thought 2 pm - 10 pm (see pix). Yes I remember its logarithmic after 3 pm.

There is something about the Roxannes and rock & EDM too. As for 80's pop, I'm trying to decide for the moment. Maybe I shouldn't play A-Ha....Jerry may shoot me himself if he knew what I was playing through his earphones.

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #1,980 of 8,377

Sure, give the TUR-06 a shot! Just need to give it 1 min to settle, tube are hypersensitive to vibrations.

Ok so it seems to start from 8 am to 5 pm, I thought 2 pm - 10 pm (see pix). Yes I remember its logarithmic after 3 pm.

There is something about the Roxannes and rock & EDM too. As for 80's pop, I'm trying to decide for the moment. Maybe I shouldn't play A-Ha....Jerry may shoot me himself if he knew what I was playing through his earphones.

Hey...A-ha fan here!!

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back