New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Dec 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #1,952 of 8,377
Yep. I have a feeling that I may crave more, but I don't think that's a deal breaker if they sound good.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #1,953 of 8,377
  Yep. I have a feeling that I may crave more, but I don't think that's a deal breaker if they sound good.

Agreed. Package deal is better than no deal :)

I hope they can match the K10!

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #1,954 of 8,377
I remember hearing that JHA can 'tune' your CIEMs when I bought my JH13 pro. When I got them, I felt like my hearing just got ten years younger. I didn't ask for any tweaks but felt that with 44 year old ears, Jerry gave them an elixir of youth feeling. I liked that but wish I could ask for the same again with my Roxanne's. Anyone heard if that is possible?

My ie800's are not the brightest treble to my ears but I'd want more sparkle ( but without sibilance) than them.

I see a 3 way cable pot mod coming soon where a cut or boost is available for all 3 pass bands! I'd prefer a set and forget setup rather than easy to knock sliders. Natural preference for analogue tweaks rather than in digital eq on DAP IMHO.

Impressions received and counting down the weeks now.

Regards

Sceptre

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #1,955 of 8,377
When I was talking to Jerry at CanJam I got them impression it COULD be possible to tweak them on request.  But you need to email them for the definite answer.

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #1,956 of 8,377
I remember hearing that JHA can 'tune' your CIEMs when I bought my JH13 pro. When I got them, I felt like my hearing just got ten years younger. I didn't ask for any tweaks but felt that with 44 year old ears, Jerry gave them an elixir of youth feeling. I liked that but wish I could ask for the same again with my Roxanne's. Anyone heard if that is possible?

My ie800's are not the brightest treble to my ears but I'd want more sparkle ( but without sibilance) than them.

I see a 3 way cable pot mod coming soon where a cut or boost is available for all 3 pass bands! I'd prefer a set and forget setup rather than easy to knock sliders. Natural preference for analogue tweaks rather than in digital eq on DAP IMHO.

Impressions received and counting down the weeks now.

Regards

Sceptre

When I ordered my JH16 I had a really bad issue with sibilance & they offered to tweak them for me to try & tone it down a bit so the capabilities are there.

I travelled down to Handheld Audio & listened to some demo units though & ended up swapping the JH16 for a JH13.

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #1,958 of 8,377
And jh13 was less sibilant then the jh16 ?

Yes. I really didn't like the treble presentation on the JH16. I found it very hot & aggressively harsh It was at the point where I thought there was a problem with my set. Thats why I went down to listen to the demo units. The demo JH16 had a very similar sound (maybe slightly less sibilant but it was definitely of the same ilk) The JH13 was to my ears a lot smoother & cleaner sounding. I emailed JH the same day & asked if I could instead of sending my JH16 back for a refit send it back & swap it for a JH13. They obliged.

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #1,959 of 8,377
I am glad your story had a happy ending . As I have both of those iem,s to me they are. Not sibilant however we all hear different so it must be so for you

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #1,960 of 8,377
I am glad your story had a happy ending .

Wait, are you saying Jerry gave him a happy ending? Wow... that really is service with a smile!
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #1,962 of 8,377
I'm hoping the highs aren't too laid back. Not a fan of the dark sound.

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #1,964 of 8,377
I'm hoping the highs aren't too laid back. Not a fan of the dark sound.

As Sceptre has already pointed out, it won't be long before some enterprising cable maker starts selling a fully-adjustable (Low-Mid-High potentiometers) version of the cable, and then there will be a huge amount of adjustability to suit each person's individual listening preferences.

Actually, what makes me laugh about all this is the fact that UE were so incredibly short-sighted when they designed their Personal Reference Monitors. They went to all the hassle of building a few 'customisation' units:

...which the customer uses before manufacture, to dial-in their preferred relative levels of Low-Mid-High, which, in the event of them getting it 'wrong' will result in no end of hassle, to add to the initial hassle of having to travel to one of the few rare places that has the pre-CIEM-manufacture adjustment unit.

All of that hassle could have been dispensed with if UE had been prepared to go with a 4-conductor cable (like Jerry has used on the Roxanne), and they would have had a wonderful selling point that Low-Mid-High were all user-adjustable, at will.

In fact, even Jerry has missed that opportunity to some extent, by only providing pots for bass adjustment.

Before anyone jumps in and tells me there's a fine art to tuning the sound of a CIEM, of course I know that, but the point still stands that a bit of user adjustment for each set of BAs would be a fine selling point to many (including me).

Thanks, average_joe, for the photo

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #1,965 of 8,377

As Sceptre has already pointed out, it won't be long before some enterprising cable maker starts selling a fully-adjustable (Low-Mid-High potentiometers) version of the cable, and then there will be a huge amount of adjustability to suit each person's individual listening preferences.

Actually, what makes me laugh about all this is the fact that UE were so incredibly short-sighted when they designed their Personal Reference Monitors. They went to all the hassle of building a few 'customisation' units:

...which the customer uses before manufacture, to dial-in their preferred relative levels of Low-Mid-High, which, in the event of them getting it 'wrong' will result in no end of hassle, to add to the initial hassle of having to travel to one of the few rare places that has the pre-CIEM-manufacture adjustment unit.

All of that hassle could have been dispensed with if UE had been prepared to go with a 4-conductor cable (like Jerry has used on the Roxanne), and they would have had a wonderful selling point that Low-Mid-High were all user-adjustable, at will.

In fact, even Jerry has missed that opportunity to some extent, by only providing pots for bass adjustment.

Before anyone jumps in and tells me there's a fine art to tuning the sound of a CIEM, of course I know that, but the point still stands that a bit of user adjustment for each set of BAs would be a fine selling point to many (including me).

Thanks, average_joe, for the photo

Yeah, I believe the potential is there. You can put a potentiometer in the high and mid wire to adjust the level just like the bass. The only hurdle I can see is the cable would look nasty if you have 3 of those pots dangling on the cable.

Unless there is a one-piece pot that can accommodate all 3 channels. Jerry himself will make all the DIY parts for the cable available on their website in the near future.

But I think this is some I can find out soon as I get my Roxanne.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back