New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #256 of 1,588
The bass settles down substantially through the first 100 hours. Mine now have roughly 120 hours and you definitely do notice the bass if you listen to them right after something like the HD800 but beyond that the bass just seems to provide a solid foundation for the music and does not overwhelm like it did out of the box. Also the amp used makes a significant difference, the Mjolnir seems to control the bass slightly better than the Apex Peak and both do a better job than the Fostex HP-P1.

It's pretty clear the bass is still going to be the question mark area for these headphones especially since unbroken in out of the box it is quite heavy. We'll see if it keeps settling as they get more time, I'm actually hoping it doesn't as I find the current sound to be quite enjoyable.

Quote:
Updated impressions!

So I actually messed around with some different ear pads I had laying around and as expected they change the sound dramatically. BTW, the new ear pad system easily allows the pads to pull off. Surprisingly with the pads off, the drivers are right there in the open with no protection. One slip could have devastating results. The older Denons have a metal grille to guard them. The 7100 drivers have a cheapish look to me, not at all what the picture on the box looks like. I seriously doubt that Foster is the OEM. Just a feeling I get. Anyway, I tried Beyer velours, gels, and M50 pads. None of which I liked, but the amazing thing was that when I put the originals back in place, the sound was fixed!

The airtight seal was gone, and I got a much flatter response as advertised. No more ear canal pressure. Prior, the bass polluted the rest of the spectrum. Now, the sound is respectable. The soundstage was also fixed. They are not the bass monsters they were before.

With the bass in its proper place, mids are flushed out much better. Of the three headphones, the 7100 has the "hottest treble." I still prefer the D7000 over the D7100. but the margin is a lot smaller. Piano and vocals still sound better on the D7K. Potentially this gap could be closed with additional burn-in however.

Aug 8, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #257 of 1,588
Quote:
The bass settles down substantially through the first 100 hours. Mine now have roughly 120 hours and you definitely do notice the bass if you listen to them right after something like the HD800 but beyond that the bass just seems to provide a solid foundation for the music and does not overwhelm like it did out of the box. Also the amp used makes a significant difference, the Mjolnir seems to control the bass slightly better than the Apex Peak and both do a better job than the Fostex HP-P1.

It's pretty clear the bass is still going to be the question mark area for these headphones especially since unbroken in out of the box it is quite heavy. We'll see if it keeps settling as they get more time, I'm actually hoping it doesn't as I find the current sound to be quite enjoyable.

Any changes in the other frequencies?

Aug 8, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #258 of 1,588
So yesterday as planned I got Audioengine D1 and Fiio E17. First I tried to use E17 as an amp only by connecting it to RCA out of Xonar STX with tone controls disabled  and Foobar's third-party EQ plug-in enabled driving D600 since they don't need adapter to connect. And I heard little difference comparing it to STX amp. Then I disabled Foobar's EQ plug-in and tried to play same tracks again to find out that i have too much bass to my liking and almost no treble so went to settings and put treble control all the way up and treble back not all the details i had with Foobar's EQ in use but the sound still really good so for those want portable setup that will be good buy. I also Tried D7000 and my still not sold HD650 and heard nothing to talk about. After that I connected E17 using USB connection and after I spend some frustrating time playing with Foobar (the problem was that playback buffer has to be set to minimum) I repeated the same test some and got some improvement  but still think that unless you need to use it at home and outside or want to connect your CD/DVD player using SPIDF input to listen to your CD collection I don't think it worth to get over STX so E17 is going back. Unfortunately  I was unable to connect E17 using SPIDF connection since I misplaced both Xonar's coax to optical TOSLINK adapter (anyone knows where I can replacement? and Fiio included only one) and coax cable but have optical. So now was D1's turn. I connected it using USB connection and repeated the same test again except that D1 has no tone controls. Finally i was rewarded with great sound where everything sounds noticeably better and engaging and you want to sing and dance. But most noticeable for me was how D600 improved and that upper bass emphasis not longer here and while gap between D600 and D7000 became narrower D7000 still have more refined details and textures. I also tried to use optical connection borrowing E17's adapter but was unable to hear anything while everything looks like music is playing. So I'm keeping D1 and can recommend it. I also think that D600 are really good cans and while clamp force could be better but I don't think it's a deal breaker and they are really great for portable use.

Aug 8, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #259 of 1,588

Quote:
So, it’s because of my impulsiveness that I purchased the D7.1K. After the $960 price disappeared along with diminishing stock and intriguing reviews, I felt compelled to place an order to try to snatch up one of the remaining few. The rep couldn’t even confirm if it was in stock at the time. The next day AnakChan, whose opinions I value, posted some initial contradictory musings. This resulted in me trying to cancel my order to allow for more impressions. Too late. The rep informed me that they had already shipped. There were other fairly positive opinions since then that kept me somewhat optimistic.

I have two D7K’s. A 2009 version that I did the open-back mod on, and a 2012 untouched version I received this April. Tyll recently did an article on the improvements the 2012 versions enjoyed with measurements to go along:

[size=x-small][size=x-small]http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD7000.pdf[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD7000B2012.pdf[/size][/size]

[size=x-small]The 2012 D7K measures more flat and sounds more flat to me as well. [/size]

[size=x-small]Disclaimer: I mostly listen to baroque, folk and traditional jazz on my best gear, so it’s all acoustic music. Therefore I don’t know how electric and electronic music would fare. Also, none of my headphones are burned-in and have relatively low hours on them.[/size]

[size=x-small]2012 AH-D7000 : I haven’t heard it in a while, so here are some fresh impressions: Beautiful, natural tone. Treble boosted beyond neutral. Excellent clarity. Vocals and piano sound “right“ to me. Surprisingly good sound stage and instrument separation. Bass unobtrusive. Actually compared to the D7100 and TH900, the bass sounds anemic.[/size]

[size=x-small]Music Maniac AH-D7100 : Amazing comfort. Sonically speaking, with tracks that had more bass content, the better seal resulted in more bass boost and also a more compressed sound stage. This also affected instrument separation and clarity negatively. It’s like the bass waves fill up the ear pad chamber and increase pressure accordingly with the sonic effects I described. This is true of many properly closed headphones. I prefer the semi open design of the traditional Foster lineage that allows leakage.[/size]

[size=x-small]Vocals are more recessed. However, at moderate listening levels, vocals can have an occasional shrillness that suggests a treble spike or spikes that the others didn’t exhibit. This definitely resulted in fatigue. I did not encounter any sibilance however. Piano sounds more artificial to me as well.[/size]

[size=x-small]Fostex TH900 : Just a couple of quick thoughts because for me, this really turned out to be about the two Denons. Though it is not without its faults, I prefer the TH900 handily over the D7K. This is extra bass done correctly for the most part. It allows a more realistic acoustic bass and percussion presentation. The treble is definitely more neutral as well which aids in transparency. Without going into any further detail, if I had to live with one “closed” phone, it would be the Fostex.[/size]

[size=x-small]If my impressions are correct, Denon should rethink the “Acoustically Transparent” badge it has bestowed upon the D7100 accordingly. There’s my 2 cents FWIW.[/size]

Thanks for impressins but i have quick question who did recabling for you and which cable you now have?

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #260 of 1,588
IMSWJM.......but the amazing thing was that when I put the originals back in place, the sound was fixed!

Maybe there was a vent somewhere tat was covered...? or u put the pads back the wrong way up or down..:p

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #262 of 1,588
Now I wonder if the shops here will let me remove and re-attach the pads of their demo units! @lmswjm's finding has intrigued me.

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #263 of 1,588
Quote:
Now I wonder if the shops here will let me remove and re-attach the pads of their demo units! @lmswjm's finding has intrigued me.

Just do it when no one is looking
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 8, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #264 of 1,588
I am a noob.....I didn't know I actually heard the d a r k s t a r

Spent the last few hours pouring thru the rsa threads n the quibbles...

Now the question I hv is.....
Am I more impressed with the amp...or the can...or both together.:p

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #265 of 1,588
From what I heard (seen the Dark Star in person but didn't have the guts to try it...., way too expensive) the single ended output of it is a bit average, so it might be the headphones.

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #266 of 1,588
Quote:

Thanks for impressins but i have quick question who did recabling for you and which cable you now have?

All cables used were stock.

Quote:
IMSWJM.......but the amazing thing was that when I put the originals back in place, the sound was fixed!

Maybe there was a vent somewhere tat was covered...? or u put the pads back the wrong way up or down..:p

I can't explain what happened at all. I don't know what changed. I know the thickest part of the pad rests behind the ear and I didn't change that.

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #267 of 1,588
Quote:
The 7100 drivers have a cheapish look to me, not at all what the picture on the box looks like. I seriously doubt that Foster is the OEM. Just a feeling I get.

Pretty sure Fostex isn't supplying the drivers as they parted ways with Denon, and if you say they look drastically different compared to the "official" images that were posted before, that just further solidifies it.

Quote:

With the bass in its proper place, mids are flushed out much better. Of the three headphones, the 7100 has the "hottest treble."

And that really kills my lingering interest for these....

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #269 of 1,588
Quote:
Does anyone think I would positively need an amp/DAC for when I get my D600s? I'm an audio noob and my ears are untrained and unrefined.

My advice would be get the headphones first and listen. Like what you hear? Then there's no rush to go upgrading your setup. Headphones like the Denon line benefit somewhat from amping, but in my experience (with the older Denons, and various headphones in general really) it's not an absolute necessity like some seem to make it out to be. The improvement will be subtle, especially if your ears aren't trained to detect it.

As one reviewer put it best, in many cases the difference is like a soda straight from the refrigerator versus one that has been sitting out for an hour.

You can always upgrade later down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back