New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #286 of 1,588
Quote:

Maybe you could find some sort of sticky backed material which looks less tacky and then cut it into a circle and stick it over that whole horrible carbon fibre / lights bit lol.... They would probably look alright then with that bit covered.

They actual sound of them sounds quite promising eg. very good bass with non harsh highs. How are the other areas of the sound such as soundstage, imaging, midrange, sub bass etc? Also how are they with/without the amp switched on?

I'm going to wait a bit before doing any critical listening, but I tried amp off just now, it seems to increase the v-curve, and reduce the overall volume.  Also reduces the bass kick.  With the amp on it seems a bit more balanced.

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #287 of 1,588
Quote:
Quote:
Good to hear
smily_headphones1.gif
The Denons have low impedance anyway.
I've also been looking at the Ultrasone Pro 900s. I am a slight basshead, thus, I wondered how much would the difference of the bass of the 900s compare with the D600s. But I also put a lot of weight on sound clarity.
I listen to a wide variety of music, though a lot of it is pop, hip-hop, and other top iTunes songs.
What are your thoughts and opinions between these two headphones? I don't plan on using an amp.
Thanks!
Empire

I haven't listened to the Denon D600 yet, but I can tell you the Ultrasone PRO 900 is one of the most sibilant headphones out there. Extremely harsh and metallic sounding, and personally I would avoid it like the plague.

If you want a bit of bass emphasis, I'd suggest adding the Philips Fidelio L1 and Sony Z1000 to your list of considerations along with the Denons.

I would agree with the harsh and metallic sounding part, but I did not experience any sibilance with the PRO 900 in the multiple setups that I tried, from portable to desktop. For myself, the bass provided a wow factor at first that quickly wore off. I have had sibilance issues in the past, and while the PRO 900 was definitely fatiguing for me it was not sibilant.

Aug 8, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #288 of 1,588
Quote:

If you want a bit of bass emphasis, I'd suggest adding the Philips Fidelio L1....to your list of considerations.... 

Thanks for the heads up. Just researched the L1 now because I need something for mobile use.  Hey Tyll...he likes it!

Wanted the brown, but looks like Apple only has it in black and that was the only vendor I could find. Should be here Friday.

Based on the Stereophile review (grain of salt added here), the Pioneer SE-MJ591 (extra bass not included) is also on the horizon.

Aug 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #289 of 1,588
Problem with that Philips Fidelio L1 is that they dont have replaceable pads so I guess once the pads wear out that is £230 down the drain... Shame because they look like something I might like but I am not spending £230 for something which will be useless once the pads wear out.

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #290 of 1,588
Quote:
I wouldn't call the D400 bass 'brutally powerful", it's actually more balanced than I had expected.
Unfortunately, Im in HK and my other headphones are back in Canada, so I want to wait a bit before doing formal comparisons.
However, I will say this:  the bass is heavier on the D400 than the D2000 or D5000, but more importantly, I think the bass quality is better (it is faster, punchier) and the highs are also much improved.  I remember the D2000 being very shrill to my ears with certain tracks (unfortunately most of the music I listen to, belgian dance with vocals, is already recorded 'hot'), the D5000 was a slight improvement in this regard, but I enjoyed listening to those same tracks with the D400 much more than I enjoyed either the D2000 or D5000.
I wish I could turn off those light up rings.  They look so cheesy. 

L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #291 of 1,588
Quote:
I wouldn't call the D400 bass 'brutally powerful", it's actually more balanced than I had expected.
Unfortunately, Im in HK and my other headphones are back in Canada, so I want to wait a bit before doing formal comparisons.
However, I will say this:  the bass is heavier on the D400 than the D2000 or D5000, but more importantly, I think the bass quality is better (it is faster, punchier) and the highs are also much improved.  I remember the D2000 being very shrill to my ears with certain tracks (unfortunately most of the music I listen to, belgian dance with vocals, is already recorded 'hot'), the D5000 was a slight improvement in this regard, but I enjoyed listening to those same tracks with the D400 much more than I enjoyed either the D2000 or D5000.
I wish I could turn off those light up rings.  They look so cheesy. 

Based on your initial evaluation, could these be the best sounding Denon headphones you have heard to date?  That would be somewhat ironic considering their price point compared to the new Music Maniac line as well as their appearance and amping that more closely resembles "rapper cans".

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #292 of 1,588
I just don't like that it needs to be in amp mode for it to sound balanced, doesn't that mean constant swapping batteries or can you somewhat recharge it easily (then it would be ok as I only listen at the comp anyway)

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #293 of 1,588
Quote:
I just don't like that it needs to be in amp mode for it to sound balanced, doesn't that mean constant swapping batteries or can you somewhat recharge it easily (then it would be ok as I only listen at the comp anyway)

It is rechargeable via micro USB, so you don't have to worry about burning through batteries.  Based on Denon's description, the bass is still slightly boosted unamped, but provides "brutile" bass amped.

http://booredatwork.com/2012/07/27/denon-ah-d400-urban-raver-over-ear-headphones-hands-on/

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #294 of 1,588
It is rechargeable via micro USB, so you don't have to worry about burning through batteries.  Based on Denon's description, the bass is still slightly boosted unamped, but provides "brutile" bass amped.

http://booredatwork.com/2012/07/27/denon-ah-d400-urban-raver-over-ear-headphones-hands-on/

What about using a D600 unamped? Mine are arriving in the next few days and I don't plan on purchasing an amp or DAC. Think there will be any huge difference, especially to untrained ears like mine?

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #295 of 1,588
Quote:
What about using a D600 unamped? Mine are arriving in the next few days and I don't plan on purchasing an amp or DAC. Think there will be any huge difference, especially to untrained ears like mine?

Based on their impedance, they should be easy to drive without an amp, but I have not yet heard them to compare.

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #296 of 1,588
What is the price difference between the D400 and D600?

I suppose if the D400 sounded amazing they would look bearable if you covered up the carbon fibre / lights bit! Could you do that or would it stop you using some of the features if you stuck something over that bit?

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #297 of 1,588
Quote:
What is the price difference between the D400 and D600?

I suppose if the D400 sounded amazing they would look bearable if you covered up the carbon fibre / lights bit! Could you do that or would it stop you using some of the features if you stuck something over that bit?

The D400 is $399.  Although the D600 was on sale for $400 the day it came out on Amazon, but is back up to $499.  The light can be switched off.

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #298 of 1,588
Based on their impedance, they should be easy to drive without an amp, but I have not yet heard them to compare.

i tried the d600's at the store where I bought my d400. It does work plugged into an ipod. Unfortunately it was right after I had an extended audition of the d400 so my hearing was accustomed to the godly d400 bass so the d600 seemed so thin sounding to me lol! I will have to get a second listen to those sometime later, they also had the d7100 on display too, but there was no one available to take it out of the glass cabinet for me.

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #299 of 1,588
Quote:
i tried the d600's at the store where I bought my d400. It does work plugged into an ipod. Unfortunately it was right after I had an extended audition of the d400 so my hearing was accustomed to the godly d400 bass so the d600 seemed so thin sounding to me lol! I will have to get a second listen to those sometime later, they also had the d7100 on display too, but there was no one available to take it out of the glass cabinet for me.

How are the mids and highs on the D400?  Are they suitable for all genres, with or without active mode?  At this point, the D400 is the only contender I am considering compared to the M-100.

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #300 of 1,588

it recharges from a micro usb port located under the left side. It lasts for about 12 hours per charge, according to the specs. I havent timed the battery use to verify that claim yet.
I have a quick review with unboxing photos here:
www.head-fi.org/t/621902/denon-ah-d400-reviews-and-appreciation-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back