New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #271 of 1,588
Good to hear :) The Denons have low impedance anyway.

I've also been looking at the Ultrasone Pro 900s. I am a slight basshead, thus, I wondered how much would the difference of the bass of the 900s compare with the D600s. But I also put a lot of weight on sound clarity.
I listen to a wide variety of music, though a lot of it is pop, hip-hop, and other top iTunes songs.

What are your thoughts and opinions between these two headphones? I don't plan on using an amp.

Thanks!
Empire

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #272 of 1,588
Quote:
Good to hear
smily_headphones1.gif
The Denons have low impedance anyway.
I've also been looking at the Ultrasone Pro 900s. I am a slight basshead, thus, I wondered how much would the difference of the bass of the 900s compare with the D600s. But I also put a lot of weight on sound clarity.
I listen to a wide variety of music, though a lot of it is pop, hip-hop, and other top iTunes songs.
What are your thoughts and opinions between these two headphones? I don't plan on using an amp.
Thanks!
Empire

I haven't listened to the Denon D600 yet, but I can tell you the Ultrasone PRO 900 is one of the most sibilant headphones out there. Extremely harsh and metallic sounding, and personally I would avoid it like the plague.

If you want a bit of bass emphasis, I'd suggest adding the Philips Fidelio L1 and Sony Z1000 to your list of considerations along with the Denons.

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #274 of 1,588
I haven't listened to the Denon D600 yet, but I can tell you the Ultrasone PRO 900 is one of the most sibilant headphones out there. Extremely harsh and metallic sounding, and personally I would avoid it like the plague.

If you want a bit of bass emphasis, I'd suggest adding the Philips Fidelio L1 and Sony Z1000 to your list of considerations along with the Denons.

Oh god sibilance. Thanks for the heads up. I can't stand harsh metallic headphones.

Thanks for the recommendations. Not a big fan of the two brands there (though I have heard much praise for the L1s) so that means it's settled - Denons here we come! :)

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #275 of 1,588
Quote:
Oh god sibilance. Thanks for the heads up. I can't stand harsh metallic headphones.
Thanks for the recommendations. Not a big fan of the two brands there (though I have heard much praise for the L1s) so that means it's settled - Denons here we come!
smily_headphones1.gif

You should try the D400, its a great bassy phone with no sibilance! I just bought mine today and am loving it!

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #276 of 1,588
You should try the D400, its a great bassy phone with no sibilance! I just bought mine today and am loving it!

Yes I heard about the "brutally powerful bass" model :p
How's it sounding in terms of clarity? Your profile says you've had experience with the D2000s and D5000s. How does it compare?

And btw, liking the light up rings on your D400s? (lol)

Aug 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #278 of 1,588
Quote:

my pro900 is fabulous on the LYR...clear highs and solid bass...the surround logic gives a diff flavor to my albums...its by my side most nites.
mmm..i wished the z1000 had more bass.....earcups are kinda small...u can read up on the thread for more feedbacks.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #279 of 1,588
Quote:
my pro900 is fabulous on the LYR...clear highs and solid bass...the surround logic gives a diff flavor to my albums...its by my side most nites.
mmm..i wished the z1000 had more bass.....earcups are kinda small...u can read up on the thread for more feedbacks.

The Z1000's earpads are indeed small for a circumaural headphone, and if you have larger-sized ears, chances are you'll be wearing them directly on-ear as a result. Its bass quantity is also north of neutral, and personally I wouldn't want it to be any more prominent, as it would likely start bleeding into the midrange and getting too bloated. Incidentally, the issues I have with the PRO 900 certainly aren't a lack of bass and obfuscated highs. It has plenty of bass presence and very prominent highs. Unfortunately I also find it has an artificial-sounding, metallic timbre and is extremely sibilant to the point of being unlistenable. The PRO 2900 is less offensive to me, but only just. Having experimented with many different amp and source pairings using the PRO 2900 (both with and without the "kees mod"), I've found I could blunt the top end somewhat but never eliminate the sibilance enough to be acceptable, nor could I significantly alter the timbre and overall sound signature of them.

Grains of milage, salt may vary, to own their each, etc.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #280 of 1,588
Quote:
Yes I heard about the "brutally powerful bass" model :p
How's it sounding in terms of clarity? Your profile says you've had experience with the D2000s and D5000s. How does it compare?
And btw, liking the light up rings on your D400s? (lol)

I wouldn't call the D400 bass 'brutally powerful", it's actually more balanced than I had expected.
Unfortunately, Im in HK and my other headphones are back in Canada, so I want to wait a bit before doing formal comparisons.
However, I will say this:  the bass is heavier on the D400 than the D2000 or D5000, but more importantly, I think the bass quality is better (it is faster, punchier) and the highs are also much improved.  I remember the D2000 being very shrill to my ears with certain tracks (unfortunately most of the music I listen to, belgian dance with vocals, is already recorded 'hot'), the D5000 was a slight improvement in this regard, but I enjoyed listening to those same tracks with the D400 much more than I enjoyed either the D2000 or D5000.
I wish I could turn off those light up rings.  They look so cheesy. 

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #281 of 1,588
Quote:
I wouldn't call the D400 bass 'brutally powerful", it's actually more balanced than I had expected.
Unfortunately, Im in HK and my other headphones are back in Canada, so I want to wait a bit before doing formal comparisons.
However, I will say this:  the bass is heavier on the D400 than the D2000 or D5000, but more importantly, I think the bass quality is better (it is faster, punchier) and the highs are also much improved.  I remember the D2000 being very shrill to my ears with certain tracks (unfortunately most of the music I listen to, belgian dance with vocals, is already recorded 'hot'), the D5000 was a slight improvement in this regard, but I enjoyed listening to those same tracks with the D400 much more than I enjoyed either the D2000 or D5000.

W00t... a Denon without sparkling highs? Nah can't be... ^^ I had expected the D400 to be very V-shape headphone like D1100, maybe I was wrong.

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #282 of 1,588
Quote:

W00t... a Denon without sparkling highs? Nah can't be... ^^ I had expected the D400 to be very V-shape headphone like D1100, maybe I was wrong.

I have the D1100, it was another ear grater.  The D400 is nothing like the D1100, the highs are much much smoother.

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #283 of 1,588
Quote:

Maybe you could find some sort of sticky backed material which looks less tacky and then cut it into a circle and stick it over that whole horrible carbon fibre / lights bit lol.... They would probably look alright then with that bit covered.

They actual sound of them sounds quite promising eg. very good bass with non harsh highs. How are the other areas of the sound such as soundstage, imaging, midrange, sub bass etc? Also how are they with/without the amp switched on?

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #285 of 1,588
Quote:

I think if you press down on the left earpiece, it will turn the lights off. (If I recall correctly.)

I've held down the left button, and all it does is it rotates thru 4 levels of brightness, but never off  :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back