NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
May 31, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #1,141 of 3,483
The atlas has wayyyyyy to much low end
What do you normally listen to?

I was just writing on the NW-WM1A/Z thread to my ears the Atlas has a warmer than neutral with good bass impact but I wouldn't call it a warm earphone. There's a good decent of sparkle on the treble end with crispness especially in percussions. I'm overall very impressed (as with the Vegas when they were released) with the Atlas.

Whilst I agree that it's a bassy oriented earphone, I don't feel it to be excessive (to my tastes) but enough to give the overall signature some body without feeling too thick or sluggish.

Edit: don't know if it matters or not, I'm listening balanced.

May 31, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #1,142 of 3,483
Price does not always equate to a quality either. Two of my favorite headphones are Shure SRH1540 and Sennheiser HD650 with the right source. They beat out many of my headphones that are three times as expensive. My Questyle QP1R sounds way better with my AKG K812 than my Paw Gold Diana which is more costly. The Diana kills it with the Shures and my $250 Audio-Technica ATH- MSR7. This is part of the reason I don't sell any of my gear. You never know when you get something new and it just pairs beautifully with something that you otherwise would have gotten rid of.
This is exactly what I've experienced. One of my favorite headphones is shure 535 played out of ak jr. If I didnt have the ak jr then I probably would have never been impressed. I sold the ak jr once I got my wm1a and now I really miss the synergy. Since then Ive tried many other daps and returned them all. Andromedas, Vegas, and soon to be atlas will be played out of wm1a IMO all sound awesome so far.

May 31, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #1,145 of 3,483
The sound stopping when you push them in is driver flex, which just comes with the territory of dynamic driver iems to a certain extent. I had some trouble with it with my atlas, particularly with one of the earpieces and found switching to some aftermarket foam tips eliminated the issue. I found with both the final e tips as well as spiral dots, which were my preffered tips, if I got too good a seal, it took a really long time for the pressure to equalize and sound to return to the earpiece (multiple minutes...in some cases I had to just remove and reinsert). Everyone’s ears are different though, so it is hard to say what the “right” insertion depth is. For me, with both spiral dots and the final e tips, the driver flex was happening occasionally at what I would say is normal insertion depth for iems, but it definitely got worse the deeper I inserted (presumably bc more air is getting pushed/pressurized into the earpiece between the driver and the seal from the tips, so more pressure to equalize). One thing to keep in mind is that I am almost certain that the little hole on the top middle of the back of the earpiece is there to allow pressures to equalize in case of driver flex, so if you are covering that up with your finger while pushing the earpiece in place, it might be further exacerbating the issue.

May 31, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #1,146 of 3,483
Just received the atlas. For the total of 20 min that I've been listening all I can say is Woah!! These things are incredible. I sold the vega to buy these and I am glad I did. I own the andromeda and I feel like the atlas is the best of both worlds. For my ears a definite improvement over the vegas. Only been listening to spotify on my phone. Cant wait to try them on my wm1a

May 31, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #1,147 of 3,483
Just received the atlas. For the total of 20 min that I've been listening all I can say is Woah!! These things are incredible. I sold the vega to buy these and I am glad I did. I own the andromeda and I feel like the atlas is the best of both worlds. For my ears a definite improvement over the vegas. Only been listening to spotify on my phone. Cant wait to try them on my wm1a

I hope you are able to go balanced.

May 31, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #1,149 of 3,483
The atlas has wayyyyyy to much low end

I've found that using wide-bore tips, such as Spiral Dots, reduces the quantity but not quality of the bass.

Final E and SpinFits greatly increase the bass from what I've heard.

May 31, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #1,150 of 3,483
They ship to the UK. They use FedEx Intl. Priority or something similar, so my Comets arrived 3 or 4 days after I ordered. Very quick.

The shipping is steep, so I'd advise if you are looking at anything else from CA like extra tips / anther carry case / cable etc, probably best to order it all at the same time.

Thanks, have you been done for tax/vat yet? Last two things I've had from fedex have had that applied despite wording.

May 31, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #1,151 of 3,483
Thanks, have you been done for tax/vat yet? Last two things I've had from fedex have had that applied despite wording.

I get mine delivered to my work address - I usually get a bill for about £20 for handling fees, but no huge 20% tax bill. Don't know if it's because work have a FedEx account so they class it as a business import or I've just been lucky! :wink:

May 31, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #1,153 of 3,483
Anyone using their Atlas over ear? I find straight in and wire hanging I have to push em back in periodically to regain my seal... prolly cause of the weight. Thinking maybe around the ear might reduce that gravity some.

Definitely looking into getting custom tips done soon.

Same issue here, probably worse; I'm still looking for silicone tips that will keep them in.

May 31, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #1,154 of 3,483
Anyone using their Atlas over ear? I find straight in and wire hanging I have to push em back in periodically to regain my seal... prolly cause of the weight. Thinking maybe around the ear might reduce that gravity some.

Definitely looking into getting custom tips done soon.

Which tips are you using now? I'm using the foam tip that was preinstalled and it's perfect. Where are you getting custom tips done? I loved the sleeves on my SE846's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back