Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 22, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #11,881 of 16,931
Edit: Anybody (ljokerl?) any thoughts on the Westone Adventure series? They sound like their robust design is for me, but given that they are about as expensive as the Westone 2 (I think), I fear that the more robust material causes less good sound for the overall same price...?

Not so good...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo260iE9Jm4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Oct 22, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #11,882 of 16,931
  Congrats to the 300 ljokerl! Awesome job! Still can't believe that you are a single guy! I've recommended this thread to so many people already, cause it's better than many "professional", non-free reviews!

Enough flowers, the reason why I write this time: :)

For all of you who think about - or might one day think about - getting the Westone 2: I got a pair as a gift in April 2011 and immediately liked their imho clean sound and loved their very sturdy fit, something not all non-customized IEMs have.

However, after a few months they got damaged and thanks to Westones one-time-exchange-without-any-questions policy I got a new pair. Now, after approx. 22 months of daily and intensive usage, the jack starts to have a loose contact, causing dropouts every now and then. As always in the beginning of such problems, it now only occurs during movement, e.g. while riding a bike. But soon, they will be pretty useless.

Sad, cause I really liked them and hoped and expected them to be a bit more resistant, given their design and all. I already contacted Westone and they will give me an offer for a discounted exchange pair or upgrade for other Westone products.

As always, ljokerl's thread is my trusted place to see what I might choose, exchange or upgrade.

Thanks again!!
ichbinder

Edit: Anybody (ljokerl?) any thoughts on the Westone Adventure series? They sound like their robust design is for me, but given that they are about as expensive as the Westone 2 (I think), I fear that the more robust material causes less good sound for the overall same price...?

You should hunt down the Adventure Series thread here; a lot has been said about them.  Though in short your inference is likely correct.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #11,884 of 16,931
Here is what I keep reading... JH13fp is like an ER4S with great bottom end.  Use this filter or that filter, inline impedance adapter yada yada.  So my thought is to get a ER-4PT use a slightly brighter filter and an amp with a bass boost.  Boom poor mans universal JH13fp :wink:  I am high or is this doable?

In other news, can anyone confirm the the ER-4S is just a 4P with an inline impedance that can't be removed?

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #11,885 of 16,931
  Here is what I keep reading... JH13fp is like an ER4S with great bottom end.  Use this filter or that filter, inline impedance adapter yada yada.  So my thought is to get a ER-4PT use a slightly brighter filter and an amp with a bass boost.  Boom poor mans universal JH13fp :wink:  I am high or is this doable?

In other news, can anyone confirm the the ER-4S is just a 4P with an inline impedance that can't be removed?

i had tried both , and i went for 4p cuz it sounds better straight out of my j3 with out an amp , i dont like carrying an additional amp every time i go out . i agree , 4s is just a 4p with a inline impedance that cant be removed , and if you want a 4s out of 4p , you can buy that extension from ety research .

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #11,886 of 16,931
  Hey, got one last question. I know I said I wanted an IEM for under $50 but at this point I just want something like the FXT90 but with a bit more bass/subbass. I listen to R&B and Hip-Hop mostly with a good amount of Rock and Pop thrown in as well. The M11s that I have just are not cutting it, the music is not as immersive anymore lol. 

Thanks a lot!

Use an equalizer to slightly boost the bass on the FXT90 - they should be able to handle it. You may also want to look into the JVC triple dynamics. I haven't heard them but the early feedback I got was that they sound like the FXT90 with an extra woofer + more overall refinement. There should be a dedicated thread somewhere...

Congrats to the 300 ljokerl! Awesome job! Still can't believe that you are a single guy! I've recommended this thread to so many people already, cause it's better than many "professional", non-free reviews!

Enough flowers, the reason why I write this time: :)

For all of you who think about - or might one day think about - getting the Westone 2: I got a pair as a gift in April 2011 and immediately liked their imho clean sound and loved their very sturdy fit, something not all non-customized IEMs have.

However, after a few months they got damaged and thanks to Westones one-time-exchange-without-any-questions policy I got a new pair. Now, after approx. 22 months of daily and intensive usage, the jack starts to have a loose contact, causing dropouts every now and then. As always in the beginning of such problems, it now only occurs during movement, e.g. while riding a bike. But soon, they will be pretty useless.

Sad, cause I really liked them and hoped and expected them to be a bit more resistant, given their design and all. I already contacted Westone and they will give me an offer for a discounted exchange pair or upgrade for other Westone products.

As always, ljokerl's thread is my trusted place to see what I might choose, exchange or upgrade.

Thanks again!!
ichbinder

Thanks, I appreciate that. Maybe the new Westone 20 (is that what it's called?) will sound the same and have a detachable cable. Could be a good long-term upgrade. 

Also, MoonYeol is right - if it's failing at the jack it's probably not irreparable. Might not be pretty but a DIY fix is possible. 

Regarding the ADV - i posted my (very) short thoughts on them here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-300-iems-compared-jh-audio-jh13-pro-added-10-17-13-p-786/10830#post_9585512 . Haven't touched them since. 

A failing jack can easily be repaired with $30 (?) worth of material and tools.. If it's only your jack that's failing and not the housings or something else, then you should reterminate them. Simply because it's damn cheap (someone you know probably has a voltmeter, soldering iron and soldering tin, you just have to get the plug) and then you can start to look around if you feel like it, without the pressing need to get a new pair within a week. That's how I would do if I had a failing jack.

My thoughts exactly.

That's about how they feel in the ear 
frown.gif

The ER4S is just a 4P with inline impedance that can't be removed.

As for the JH13 thing, I honestly don't know how close you would get in overall performance but that would get the signature closer. 

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #11,888 of 16,931
  Is their any review like this for headphones because that was an amazing amount of info in one place. Thank you for putting this together.

for portable headphones..........again by our great |joker|

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-108-portable-headphones-reviewed-denon-dn-hp1000-added-09-07-13

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #11,890 of 16,931
Congrats on the 300th joker! 

Question though. I'm trying to pick out a budget IEM (~<$50) for classical music, so I suppose a fairly balanced IEM with an above average sound stage. I own quite a few bass-focused IEMs and headphones, so this change will be nice. What do you recommend?
Some IEMs I'm considering right now include Sony XBA C10, Vsonic VC02, Astrotec AM-90, Brainwavz Delta, and EtyKids 5. 
Thanks!

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #11,891 of 16,931
  Is their any review like this for headphones because that was an amazing amount of info in one place. Thank you for putting this together.

The one Shawn71 linked is my thread for portable/semi-portable headphones. Admittedly I don't dedicate as much time to it as this one, though. 
@ ljokerl
Congrats on the 300th. Keep up the good work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you 
beerchug.gif

Congrats on the 300th joker! 

Question though. I'm trying to pick out a budget IEM (~<$50) for classical music, so I suppose a fairly balanced IEM with an above average sound stage. I own quite a few bass-focused IEMs and headphones, so this change will be nice. What do you recommend?
Some IEMs I'm considering right now include Sony XBA C10, Vsonic VC02, Astrotec AM-90, Brainwavz Delta, and EtyKids 5. 
Thanks!

LG Quadbeat would be a good one - it's got a mild v-shape to its response but it's pretty balanced and has a wider presentation than most. The VC02 is also very good if you don't mind slightly hotter treble. It's definitely one of the tightest and clearest sets in the price range. The Etykids are good for a slightly more mid-centric sound with smoother treble but the presentation is more intimate. 

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #11,895 of 16,931

Users who are viewing this thread

Back