Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #11,806 of 16,931
You couldn't have picked a better phone for #300, joker :)  Excellent review, as usual!

I'm in agreement with goodvibes that the JH13 is transparent enough to pick on the slight audible differences between cables.  I recently got a Moon Audio Silver Dragon.. and it's my favorite cable to use (both ergonomically and acoustically) w/ the JH13.

Oct 18, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #11,808 of 16,931
  I'm interested in Joker's take on 'burn in' especially regarding balanced armature drivers.  Personally I've yet to experience any sonic changes over time.  I understand how it might be possible for a dynamic driver (though again if there are changes for me they've been negligible at best) but I thought BAs were immune to this phenomenon.

My JH13s are getting a lot of use and I don't think the sound has 'smoothed out'.  It was great from the start and remains equally great now.

So you didn't feel the midbass was stronger when new and low bass more apparent in time? They didn't move as much as dynamics for me but it was something I noticed. I once had access to 2 pairs of se530s, one a year old and one new. On it's own, the change in the new one wouldn't have been apparent to most but comparing made it more discernible. It moved slowly besides so normal use and brain EQ would easily mask it from day to day. There's cables and xover involved as well but I don't see how a wire can break in but the windings or mechanical hinge points of an armature not, even if subtle. 

My last comment regarding this as I know where these discussions tend to go.
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #11,809 of 16,931
I remember being in awe of this thread when it was still in the 100s. There's no way to say this except, you're the man, Joker. I know how time consuming it is to write a single review, much less 300 of them.

Now just take a well-deserved break.

Oct 18, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #11,814 of 16,931
Congrats but No offense Joker, but a good chunk of the headphones' list are already out of production. Maybe we could find a few popular ones like the TF10, but still. Don't you think we could filter the ones unavailable on a new/different list? for educational purposes only? :)

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #11,815 of 16,931
  So you didn't feel the midbass was stronger when new and low bass more apparent in time? They didn't move as much as dynamics for me but it was something I noticed. I once had access to 2 pairs of se530s, one a year old and one new. On it's own, the change in the new one wouldn't have been apparent to most but comparing made it more discernible. It moved slowly besides so normal use and brain EQ would easily mask it from day to day. There's cables and xover involved as well but I don't see how a wire can break in but the windings or mechanical hinge points of an armature not, even if subtle. 

My last comment regarding this as I know where these discussions tend to go.
wink.gif

Honestly no and it was something I was listening for.  I've used a few songs I'm very familiar with and revisited them over many hours of use.  The only differences I note are when I change the source.

Currently I've been listening for differences in the new Onkyo IEM as it uses a large dynamic driver which seems more likely to be subject to break in.  So far I'm coming up blank.  Could just be me... I prefer that people not expect grand positive changes in C/IEMs over time, if so I think many would be disappointed.

In the past I do believe I've heard burn in with floor standing KEF, Paradigm and possibly Mirage speakers (though Omnisats make the last a touch more difficult as there are more room reflections).

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #11,816 of 16,931
Thank you all very much! It's been a hell of a journey and it certainly isn't over yet 
beerchug.gif
. No rest for the wicked!

Having heard the demo, it makes sense that you'd find it to at the top of your heap. Personally, I found that it forced me to listen to the music, and I couldn't tune out. It was a bit disconcerting in that sense, similar to how I found the 1Plus2. However, I am very, very impressed by its technical ability --- I'm not thrilled by the 6k spike and I'd like the bass shelf about 2.5 dB lower, but I can definitely understand why so many are so enamored with this monitor.

Yeah, it tends to do that too. 

I actually wouldn't mind the JH13 with less bass - really couldn't pick a favorite between it and the NT 6 (which is flatter and leaner) in that regard.

The treble appears to be less smooth than I would like is when compared to a Miracle or Westone ES5 (that latter of which IMO is darker than it needs to be). It's still an improvement over things like the K3003 and Senn IE800 and on its own doesn't bother me in the least.

I have to admit the JH13Pro is absolutely excellent.  I enjoyed the different comparisons and I hope you have your eye on the upcoming Roxanne.

At this rate, expect a Roxanne review in 2017
redface.gif

I don't hear that 6k spike but they do smooth out over time and hard use so perhaps it's just receded on mine. I hit them pretty hard for a couple hundred hours after initial break in while running in a Moon cable I was trying. I do hear a bit of needed presence that sounds appropriate to me but not a spike sort of resonance. Depth of insertion could change where standing wave reinforcement may occur as would ear shape to certain degree. Perhaps what you're hearing is universal related or we just hear it differently though the stock cable does have some of that etched, character. They're absolutely lush with an after market copper cable and really do take on about any sig with cable changes. Of course the slightly elevated low bass is always there but really, if you tend to use them on the go as I do, it's welcome.

I don't find the midbass elevated as Joker does but do agree that the low bass is elevated. I'm a neutral kinda guy but think Joker prefers things a bit leaner than I do though we certainly agree on these overall. He's probably surprised he likes something with this much weight as much as he does.
ksc75smile.gif

Congrats on 300, Joker.

Thanks!

To be honest I have a slight distrust for demos after the UM Miracle demo that was a disaster compared to my customized one. JH ones are probably better, though. 

Nice review on the JH13 joker. I hear it very similar in the midrange and bass. I do hear a bit more treble energy and quantity compared to the ER-4s, which sounds a little smoother next to the crisper JH13.

I find the JH13 very forward overall and the soundstage is very enveloping, which gives a pretty big wow factor when combined with the clarity.

Regarding imaging- the JH13 is the best I've heard in this regard, besting even the 1+2.

Thanks
beerchug.gif

I've got to get my hands on one of those 1+2s everyone is talking about.

Cool writeup on the JH13, thanks again |joker| :) and congrats on 300 reviews. 

I'd be interested to see the JH13 compared to the UERM, if you ever get the chance, as they are the only two custom's I've ever seriously considered buying...

From what I understand the UERM might be more similar to the Hidition than the JH13. Still would be an interesting one to compare, though.

I'm thinking in ATH-CKM300 or ATH-CKM500, the difference is about US$ 20, worth it?

Thanks!

Sorry, never tried the CKM300. The CKM500 is pretty fantastic at $60 if you like things bassy. 

I'm interested in Joker's take on 'burn in' especially regarding balanced armature drivers.  Personally I've yet to experience any sonic changes over time.  I understand how it might be possible for a dynamic driver (though again if there are changes for me they've been negligible at best) but I thought BAs were immune to this phenomenon.

My JH13s are getting a lot of use and I don't think the sound has 'smoothed out'.  It was great from the start and remains equally great now.

Sorry, I like to stay out of that debate. I give my BA stuff 50 hours of run-in "just in case" but I don't pay attention to changes. By the time I get enough of a feel for a higher-end IEM to start listening critically it usually has dozens more hours on it. 

Congratulations on 300!  I will be devoting a good amount of time to reading through many of your reviews.  Although I have made up my mind that the next pair of headphones I buy will be CIEMs (aside from possibly getting another pair of cans, just don't tell my wallet), I think reading up on some universals in the same price range or lower might lead to a more informed decision.  Your time and efforts are monumental and extremely helpful to the rest of us.  Thank you for what you do.

Thanks, glad the thread continues to be useful 
beerchug.gif

I'm pleasantly surprised the JH-13's did so well against the NT-6, especially when the NT-6's are said to be about equal in quality to the SE-5's which are much more expensive. 

I thought it was the NT 6 Pro that can compete with the S35. In any case, the NT 6 and JH13 Pro are both great earphones! 

Congrats but No offense Joker, but a good chunk of the headphones' list are already out of production. Maybe we could find a few popular ones like the TF10, but still. Don't you think we could filter the ones unavailable on a new/different list? for educational purposes only? :)

I grayed out the discontinued ones in the table. I guess I could take them out completely but then if someone was trying to figure out where they would place they would have trouble doing so. 

The interactive version of the table found here hides the discontinued products by default. You can "Show Discontinued Products" to display them and they'll be highlighted in red. 

By the way, I don't keep an eye on every earphone out there so if there are any that should be long gone, please let me know. 

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #11,817 of 16,931
  Honestly no and it was something I was listening for.  I've used a few songs I'm very familiar with and revisited them over many hours of use.  The only differences I note are when I change the source.

Currently I've been listening for differences in the new Onkyo IEM as it uses a large dynamic driver which seems more likely to be subject to break in.  So far I'm coming up blank.  Could just be me... I prefer that people not expect grand positive changes in C/IEMs over time, if so I think many would be disappointed.

In the past I do believe I've heard burn in with floor standing KEF, Paradigm and possibly Mirage speakers (though Omnisats make the last a touch more difficult as there are more room reflections).

Change doesn't necessarily mean it will get better so I agree with not assuming but by the same token, I wouldn't discard anything before 100hrs either.

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #11,818 of 16,931
Some say that is difference in quality between the CKM500 and CKM500iS.

So I searched more options, the options are:

SoundMAGIC MP21 ($35)
Brainwavz M4 ($40)
ATH-CKM300iS ($45)
Sony DR-EX102VP ($47)
ATH-CKM500iS ($63)
Ultimate Ears 350VM ($65)
Sennheiser CX275s ($66)

Any help to reduce this list is welcome... I saw comments about ATH-CKM500iS saying it's not good for rock music, and it's my kind of music...

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #11,819 of 16,931
From your list, I would pick up Ultimate Ears which I assume is UE600 for rock music if bass is not your priority.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back