Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 5, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #11,116 of 16,931
Joker, which do you think I would like better, the FXD-80 or the EPH-100? I listen to rap and rock music, and sometimes a little jazz. Are the EPH's worth $60 more than the FXD-80s? I want good isolation and comfort, as well as a smooth sound.

Amazon has the EPH-100 for under $115. I do not have either one, but based on reviews and the type of music you listen to, and if your ear canal is not too small, you might enjoy the EPH-100.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #11,117 of 16,931
Joker,

What would you recommend for jogging, around $75 or less?  I suppose for jogging, they have to be able to hook on the ear?

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #11,119 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker,

What would you recommend for jogging, around $75 or less?  I suppose for jogging, they have to be able to hook on the ear?

Would probably help if you gave him your preferred music preference or sound signature.. there's a couple great options with over-ear wears. :)

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #11,120 of 16,931
Quote:
Would probably help if you gave him your preferred music preference or sound signature.. there's a couple great options with over-ear wears. :)

I am guessing it isn't jazz, opera or classical
biggrin.gif
.  Probably something upbeat like rock or hip hop. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #11,121 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker, which do you think I would like better, the FXD-80 or the EPH-100? I listen to rap and rock music, and sometimes a little jazz. Are the EPH's worth $60 more than the FXD-80s? I want good isolation and comfort, as well as a smooth sound.

They are pretty well-matched in everything aside from sound signature but for smooth sound I'd choose the EPH-100 despite the price gap.

Quote:
Joker,

The MEElec M6 mentioned above is a good cheap option. I don't really recommend buying non-sport earphones even if they sound better because it's not clear how they will hold up to sweat, etc. However, I've seen some good feedback on the soundmagic E30 being used for sports and I used my older soundmagic PL30 at the gym for years, so I'd make an exception for that. It lacks the memory wire of the M6 but has a more hi-fi sound to it and still doesn't cost an arm and a leg. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #11,122 of 16,931
Quote:
I am guessing it isn't jazz, opera or classical
biggrin.gif
.  Probably something upbeat like rock or hip hop. 

You got it, mostly rock and pop!

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #11,123 of 16,931
Aug 5, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #11,124 of 16,931
The Westones sound like I good fit, however, from what I've read, the UE Merlin might also be worth a shot, I just want to make sure I get the signature right before buying, there is nowhere in my area where I can try on universal fit versions sadly. Thanks again.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #11,127 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi Joker!

I was wondering if you've tried the HTC bundled headset? They sound pretty good to me for a bundled headphone and if my memory is at least close to accurate, they sound more enjoyable compared to the MH1c. Really nice bassy iem I must say; comparable to the Zero Audio Basso. Although not as refined but definitely worth keeping.

http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/190876808013?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&cbt=y&_lwgsi=y&item_id=190876808013

My HTC phone came with a set of HTC-branded earbuds (not an in-ear headset). Never seen that one before.

Quote:
The Westones sound like I good fit, however, from what I've read, the UE Merlin might also be worth a shot, I just want to make sure I get the signature right before buying, there is nowhere in my area where I can try on universal fit versions sadly. Thanks again.

No doubt. Getting the customs with the right sound signature is 100% worth your time. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #11,129 of 16,931
Hi Joker,

I'm saving a lot of cash for a high quality in-ear earphone. I'm between the Shure SE846 or a custom Westone ES5.  My musical tastes are varied, I listen electronic, rock, metal, classic and instrumental music. I do like warm sound with good amount of bass but not overwhelming, I like the sound of the westone 4 I currently own. What would yo recommend me? If you where in my shoes which one would you go for? 

Thank You!! 
tongue.gif

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #11,130 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi Joker,

I'm saving a lot of cash for a high quality in-ear earphone. I'm between the Shure SE846 or a custom Westone ES5.  My musical tastes are varied, I listen electronic, rock, metal, classic and instrumental music. I do like warm sound with good amount of bass but not overwhelming, I like the sound of the westone 4 I currently own. What would yo recommend me? If you where in my shoes which one would you go for? 

Thank You!! 
tongue.gif

I haven't heard the SE846. Has it been released?

The ES5 is an earphone I actually quite like even though it doesn't match my preferred sound signature. It fits your requirements of a warm sound with plentiful but not overwhelming bass. It's quite similar to the Lime Ears LE3B I reviewed recently, except with slightly tighter bass, better clarity, and more forward mids. But as for how it compares to the SE846 and whether it's a better fit for you than the Shure, I can't be of any help. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back