Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 25, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #10,741 of 16,931
Im considering the re-400 or rockit r50 (possibly tdk ie800) as something a lil different from eph100 and carbo basso.  Those two have good bass, so im looking for something very detailed, large stage, instrument seperation, but not completely lacking bass.  I understand neither will match the bass iems i already have, just dont want completely anemic bass.

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #10,742 of 16,931
Quote:
Westone Adventure Alpha seems interesting.......i wonder why they're not selling them on Amazon

Brand new product, probably not in distribution yet. 

Quote:
are the RE-400's tips especially small?

The bi-flanges shown in the picture are quite small. There are two sizes, though.

Quote:

There is just not enough reviews for philips in-ears, and waterline is for now my choice number one, i went trough your review once more and as waterline is missing that top end something, i found 10 other in-ears that are all missing something, but more or less fit the description of what i want: 
VSonic R02 Silver
Head-Direct RE0
Head-Direct (HiFiMan) RE-ZERO
Sunrise SW-Xcape v. 1
VSonic GR06
VSonic VC02
HiFiMan RE-400 Waterline
HiFiMan RE262
 Rock-It Sounds R-50
VSonic GR01
Fischer Audio DBA-02 mkII

What would be most analytic but not fatiguing and musical, most extended and flat headphone in both ways, with neither bass or highs overshadowing mids, and without mid bass hump? It can definitly lean more towards analytic, but just not all the way, cuz it is my only pair for now.
Also, if there is the need, if there is tremendous difference i can go up to 200, but since this is just a temporary solution, i would like to buy cheapest one that fits the description.

Thank you for your reviews, they are very helpful, its not like im lazy and just want u to chew up and spit the answer for me, i have red the reviews several times, but im still a bit confused about what the best in ear for me would be at the moment, because i still have to live with it for at least 6 months if not a year or more.

I would still go for the HiFiMan, personally. You said you don't want something overly analytical, and the RE-400 fits that description better than the R-50. Even the VC02 fits that description better than the R-50, but it's just not as good overall. 

Quote:
can someone recommend mid-centric/bright shallow insertion dynamic driver iems to me? :3

VSonic R02 Silver. Stock tips give a medium insertion but the sound doesn't really change much if you use a larger single-flange and wear them shallow. 

Quote:
Im considering the re-400 or rockit r50 (possibly tdk ie800) as something a lil different from eph100 and carbo basso.  Those two have good bass, so im looking for something very detailed, large stage, instrument seperation, but not completely lacking bass.  I understand neither will match the bass iems i already have, just dont want completely anemic bass.

The RE-400 would be a safer option than the more analytical R-50. You could also go for a VSonic GR07 or Philips Fidelio S1/S2 for a little more bass than those with a relatively balanced signature nonetheless. 

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #10,743 of 16,931
Larger single flange tips don't isolate properly. My ear canal forces them out. Medium presses too tightly against my canal. dual and triple flange tips cause irritation deeper in my canal, and foam tips are too dark.

I usually use small single flanges. Specifically, I use SoundMAGIC small single flanges.

I own the HSA Golden Crystal, and have owned the Shure SE315. The Crystal's are broken currently, but not quite what I want currently. I was hoping for something with better mids.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #10,744 of 16,931
Quote:

The small ones are.   The big one isn't.  :wink:

smile.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #10,745 of 16,931
Quote:
Larger single flange tips don't isolate properly. My ear canal forces them out. Medium presses too tightly against my canal. dual and triple flange tips cause irritation deeper in my canal, and foam tips are too dark.

I usually use small single flanges. Specifically, I use SoundMAGIC small single flanges.

I own the HSA Golden Crystal, and have owned the Shure SE315. The Crystal's are broken currently, but not quite what I want currently. I was hoping for something with better mids.

Then I guess the answer is small single-flanges 
rolleyes.gif
. HSA Crystal tips should fit the R02 Silver. Soundmagic ones will probably fall off.

Jun 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #10,746 of 16,931
Hifiman RE-400 vs Rock-It Sound R-50 vs Etymotic HF5?  They all seem really good, but I'm not really sure which to get.  I mainly listen to underground/old school hip-hop, and also to some R&B, indie rock, and XXYYXX style electronic music.  The HF5 seems to have the best isolation, the R-50 has the best sound quality, while the RE-400 has the best build quality.  But I'm not sure which is best overall.

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #10,747 of 16,931
Quote:
Hifiman RE-400 vs Rock-It Sound R-50 vs Etymotic HF5?  They all seem really good, but I'm not really sure which to get.  I mainly listen to underground/old school hip-hop, and also to some R&B, indie rock, and XXYYXX style electronic music.  The HF5 seems to have the best isolation, the R-50 has the best sound quality, while the RE-400 has the best build quality.  But I'm not sure which is best overall.

I don't know... For me, the best sound quality would have to go to the RE-400. I also listen to that kind of hip-hop, or what i fondly call "real" hip-hop. I had Brainwavz M3 and it went well with those genres you mentioned. I assume that's the price range you lookin for. Of those 3 I think the best would be the RE-400. From different impressions, the R-50 seems to be on the bright side, and the HF5 is too cold and analytical for one to enjoy the genres u just mentioned. The RE-400 is neutral with a slight bass emphasis... good for those Primo beats (you know what I'm talkin bout...).. . if you are only looking at those 3..

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #10,748 of 16,931
Quote:

They are all very good, and also close to each other in sound quality. All three have balanced sound signatures, although in my experience listeners of your genres tend to favor more bass than any of these provide. Anyway, if you're sure about wanting a balanced frequency response and don't need the extra isolation I do think the RE-400 is the safest choice of the three signature-wise. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #10,749 of 16,931
Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference, Ocharaku Flat-4, Hidition NT-6 Pro enable you in the future in his great review?

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #10,750 of 16,931
Ljokerl, i want to buy a iem for my friend for birthday gift, which iem should i buy my buget is around $100us , she like to listen electronics music and western pop. she use mobile phones to listen music, i wondering choice between s4i and acoustic research s700m or any other suggestions? thanks

Jun 26, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #10,751 of 16,931
Also Superlux? I was the owner of Superlux HD381, they went down after 3 months, but the sound they left the best memories.

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #10,752 of 16,931
|Joker|, Another excellent review of Hidtion. They recently came out with follow up revision the Tears 6 Pro, which reportedly is warmer than NT 6/pro and better.

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/06/hidition-new-tears-6-new-vs-old.html?m=0

Anyway, I'm considering another pair of CIEM to pair with my Heir 8.A. I mostly listen to various form of indie rock and some folk rock, EDM. Between JH13 pro and Hidition, which one do you think would be better suited for rock music?

Btw, I currently use a ipod classic and have a HiFi-M8 on order to power the CIEM in future.

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #10,753 of 16,931
hi, Joker.
Thank you for all your reviews.
your charts is my "hearing aid" for earphones.
(bought 5 already with your help)
Now I'm using the gr99 on a daily basis and I'm really enjoy them.
last earphones I bought was the Astrotec-90.
at the begining -great, I liked them, the clarity is amazing.
but when I compared them to the gr99 I was missing the more deep fun bass.
I didn't thought I would miss it, but I did.
so I returned back to gr99.

my question is:
50$ budget (can stretch it a bit),
I look for a combination of the clarity sound
of the astrotec with more deep bass like the gr99. 
any suggestion? (VC02 maybe:)

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #10,754 of 16,931
Quote:
Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference, Ocharaku Flat-4, Hidition NT-6 Pro enable you in the future in his great review?

My ears were too small for the SE 5-way Reference. As for the rest, no plans yet but they might happen in the future. 

Quote:
Ljokerl, i want to buy a iem for my friend for birthday gift, which iem should i buy my buget is around $100us , she like to listen electronics music and western pop. she use mobile phones to listen music, i wondering choice between s4i and acoustic research s700m or any other suggestions? thanks

I'm not a big fan of the S4i and I'm not familiar with acoustic research. My recommendations for mainstream-sounding smartphone headsets around $100 would be the Velodyne vPulse (big, deep bass but mostly clear and smooth otherwise), Audio Technica ATH-CKM500i (lots of mid-bass and prominent but not overly harsh treble), or Ultimate Ears 500vi (again solid bass and slightly v-shaped overall).

Quote:
Also Superlux? I was the owner of Superlux HD381, they went down after 3 months, but the sound they left the best memories.

The HD381 has always looked interesting but not something I've had a chance to try yet.

Quote:
|Joker|, Another excellent review of Hidtion. They recently came out with follow up revision the Tears 6 Pro, which reportedly is warmer than NT 6/pro and better.

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/06/hidition-new-tears-6-new-vs-old.html?m=0

Anyway, I'm considering another pair of CIEM to pair with my Heir 8.A. I mostly listen to various form of indie rock and some folk rock, EDM. Between JH13 pro and Hidition, which one do you think would be better suited for rock music?

Btw, I currently use a ipod classic and have a HiFi-M8 on order to power the CIEM in future.

The link you have provided talkes about the New Tears 6, or the NT 6, which is the exact model I reviewed. I have the latest version. The NT 6-Pro is a different model that is said to provide more bass with an extra crossover at the bottom end. 

The NT 6 is a great compliment to the 8.A because it's so vastly different. The JH13 is somewhere between, though still closer to the more neutral Hidition than to the warmer 8.A. Both work well for rock but if you're looking for a contrast to the 8.A, go for the NT 6.

Quote:
hi, Joker.
Thank you for all your reviews.
your charts is my "hearing aid" for earphones.
(bought 5 already with your help)
Now I'm using the gr99 on a daily basis and I'm really enjoy them.
last earphones I bought was the Astrotec-90.
at the begining -great, I liked them, the clarity is amazing.
but when I compared them to the gr99 I was missing the more deep fun bass.
I didn't thought I would miss it, but I did.
so I returned back to gr99.

my question is:
50$ budget (can stretch it a bit),
I look for a combination of the clarity sound
of the astrotec with more deep bass like the gr99. 
any suggestion? (VC02 maybe:)

The VC02 won't do it - it's got punchy mid-bass but the deep bass is not on-level with the GR99. I would go for the Sony MH1C or maybe Philips SHE3850. The SHE3580 isn't really better than the GR99 overall but it has a small clarity advantage.

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #10,755 of 16,931
Quote:

My ears were too small for the SE 5-way Reference. As for the rest, no plans yet but they might happen in the future. 

I'm not a big fan of the S4i and I'm not familiar with acoustic research. My recommendations for mainstream-sounding smartphone headsets around $100 would be the Velodyne vPulse (big, deep bass but mostly clear and smooth otherwise), Audio Technica ATH-CKM500i (lots of mid-bass and prominent but not overly harsh treble), or Ultimate Ears 500vi (again solid bass and slightly v-shaped overall).

The HD381 has always looked interesting but not something I've had a chance to try yet.

The link you have provided talkes about the New Tears 6, or the NT 6, which is the exact model I reviewed. I have the latest version. The NT 6-Pro is a different model that is said to provide more bass with an extra crossover at the bottom end. 

The NT 6 is a great compliment to the 8.A because it's so vastly different. The JH13 is somewhere between, though still closer to the more neutral Hidition than to the warmer 8.A. Both work well for rock but if you're looking for a contrast to the 8.A, go for the NT 6.

The VC02 won't do it - it's got punchy mid-bass but the deep bass is not on-level with the GR99. I would go for the Sony MH1C or maybe Philips SHE3850. The SHE3580 isn't really better than the GR99 overall but it has a small clarity advantage.

Thanks ljokerl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back