Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 18, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #10,666 of 16,931
Quote:
How does the transparency of the gr07 compare to the similarly priced dual balanced armatures like dba-02 mkii or rockit sounds re-50? I'm considering a replacement just in case my dba-02 (original) breaks down from severe channel imbalance (it's already showing signs of this problem)

Different strengths and weaknesses. Personally I think the DBA-02 is more transparent than the GR07 and even the R-50 but the gap is small. You're better off considering if you'll like the extra bass of the GR07. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #10,667 of 16,931
Joker, picked up the Philips Fidelio S2 for my HTC One on your recommendation. Could not be more happy with result, thank you
beerchug.gif

I was afraid that they would not match the vsd1 and the CKN70's that I like a lot but I'm happy to say that they surpases both of these with quite some margin.

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #10,668 of 16,931
Quote:

Pretty much, yes. The SHE3580 is a great pick-up-and-go IEM. I don’t think it sounds quite as good as the MH1C or Quadbeat but it’s close, cheaper, more readily available, and very comfortable. I was hoping to pick up a 3590 to verify that they are identical before posting the 3580 review but haven’t gotten around to it yet. 

Do Guinness records require a second trial for verification?
tongue.gif

HiFiMan RE-400, MEElec A161P, Sony MH1C, VSonic VC02, HiSound Crystal. Also the Philips Fidelio S1 (not yet added to this thread). Other sets such as the Etymotic HF5 and FXT90 dip below $100 on occasion on ebay/amazon. The shortened buyer's guide only has sets that are currently available.

That's an extremely useful site you got there joker.I recommend anyone who reads joker's thread to have a look at his buyer guide and interactive headphone table.  
size]

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #10,670 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker, picked up the Philips Fidelio S2 for my HTC One on your recommendation. Could not be more happy with result, thank you
beerchug.gif

I was afraid that they would not match the vsd1 and the CKN70's that I like a lot but I'm happy to say that they surpases both of these with quite some margin.

Glad to hear that 
beerchug.gif
. Philips did a good job with these. Even the S1 surpasses my VSD1, though it is twice as expensive. 

Quote:

That's an extremely useful site you got there joker.I recommend anyone who reads joker's thread to have a look at his buyer guide and interactive headphone table.  
size]

Still merely a work in progress with lots to be done 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Just want to pass by and say thank you joker. It's your review that I decided to buy a pair of FXT90, and even though my pair is a little bit faulty, I really love the sound of it.
Keep up the good work man!

Glad you like them. Just curious - is it channel balance? I've been curious whether it's more difficult for manufacturers to match drivers in dual- and triple-dynamic systems.

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #10,671 of 16,931
Hi Joker, I'll be picking up a pair of Philips S2 but would like your thoughts before I do that.

Currently, I'm rotating between the SE535, FXT90 and CKN70 for my daily commute and my work place. From reviews I've read, the S2 is leaning towards neutral with a slight boost in bass.

The question is whether the boost is in the sub bass or mid bass. Also, I'm looking forward to a different take on sound signature and would like to know if it will be different enough in comparison to the iems I'm using now.

Thanks in advance and my regards to you.

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #10,673 of 16,931
Can someone link me to those $30 Sony MH1s, I think I have found them but they are listed as new other. I just want to make sure I get the right ones.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MH1c-Headset-SmartKey-Control-Xperia-Bulk-Packing-Black-/170876113045#vi-content

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #10,674 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi Joker, I'll be picking up a pair of Philips S2 but would like your thoughts before I do that.

Currently, I'm rotating between the SE535, FXT90 and CKN70 for my daily commute and my work place. From reviews I've read, the S2 is leaning towards neutral with a slight boost in bass.

The question is whether the boost is in the sub bass or mid bass. Also, I'm looking forward to a different take on sound signature and would like to know if it will be different enough in comparison to the iems I'm using now.

Thanks in advance and my regards to you.

Well I haven't heard the CKN70 but the S2 is different from the SE535 and especially the FXT90. I guess it falls between those two. It doesn't have as much mid-bass as the FXT90 and the treble is smoother, so the overall sound is not v-shaped as with the FXTs. At the same time, there's a more bass than with the SE535 (with a proper seal, of course) and the treble is more prominent and energetic.

Quote:
well it's the left earpiece that causes discomfort/unfit, but yeah it somewhat affects channel balance

Interesting, thanks. 

Quote:
Can someone link me to those $30 Sony MH1s, I think I have found them but they are listed as new other. I just want to make sure I get the right ones.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MH1c-Headset-SmartKey-Control-Xperia-Bulk-Packing-Black-/170876113045#vi-content

Yeah, that's them.

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #10,675 of 16,931
Hi Joker, thanks for the thoughts.

Now I have a better idea what to expect. Maybe one last question if you don't mind. Being close to neutral, does it sound cold and causes fatigue for prolong listening.

I do understand very individual hears differently and would appreciate if you could let me know your thoughts regarding this.

Thanks again, joker.

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #10,676 of 16,931
Huh.  I actually have that LG headset and I never bothered to listen to it until now as I kind of assumed that bundled headset for phones are mostly awful.

Listened to them today.  They're pretty good.  The stock double flange tips are terrible, like really, really terrible, though.

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #10,677 of 16,931
Quote:
Now I have a better idea what to expect. Maybe one last question if you don't mind. Being close to neutral, does it sound cold and causes fatigue for prolong listening.

No, I don't find it fatiguing but one thing I noticed was that both of the Fidelios are very sensitive to fit/seal. I was actually slightly disappointed with them (and yes, did find them a little harsh) until I found better tips. Just for reference, I do find the GR07 (and GR06 and GR02BE) and certain TWFK-based sets (e.g. Rock-It R-50 and UE 700) slightly fatiguing over long periods.

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #10,678 of 16,931
That will be great. Out of the iems you've mentioned, I've only heard the UE700 and I think I have s good idea what to expect from the S2.

Thanks again joker for the thoughts and being here to provide a helping hand.

Appreciate it and my best regards to you.

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #10,679 of 16,931
Quote:
Huh.  I actually have that LG headset and I never bothered to listen to it until now as I kind of assumed that bundled headset for phones are mostly awful.

Listened to them today.  They're pretty good.  The stock double flange tips are terrible, like really, really terrible, though.

Yeah, it's like those tips were designed to collapse when inserted.

Quote:
That will be great. Out of the iems you've mentioned, I've only heard the UE700 and I think I have s good idea what to expect from the S2.

Thanks again joker for the thoughts and being here to provide a helping hand.

Appreciate it and my best regards to you.

I should clarify that I was annoyed with the old (UE) version of the 700, not the newer Logitech version. There's a slight difference in sound, among other things. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back