Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 15, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #10,636 of 16,931
Quote:
The A161P sounds great.

But, another problem came up. Darn.
There's only sound from the L bud, unless it's at certain angles while in the audio jack. Consider 360 degree, only about 270 degree where both buds work. This is the Samsung Galaxy Note II.
I then plugged the A161P into my computer. Works fine, all 360 degree.

So maybe it's a NOTE II problem. Nope (?)
Tried my Klipsch S4, and both sides work in any angle.
This is really weird...

Any suggestions?

Is the jack plug damaged?

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #10,637 of 16,931
Quote:
Is the jack plug damaged?

Is there any ways to find that out?
Through the naked eyes, things look good. Everything looks symmetrical.
Quote:
That's weird - the newer Samsung phones use the standard CTIA plug, so the a161p should work fine but if you have issues use the adapter included in the package. That's the strong side of a161p - with the adapter it covers both CTIA and OMTP standards and works with everything from old Samsung phones to apple products.

Yea.. exactly.
I have just tried the adapters.
Only with the splitter does both buds work at any angle. The splitter is the one that splits into ear piece and mic. The green/audio plug is only 3 poles.
Quote:

The S4 has a 3-pole plug. The A161P has a 4-pole plug. Some Samsung phones have had a problem with 4-pole Apple compatible plugs, though I am not sure of the Note II is among those.

The one I was using is actually 4 plug. It's the S4i white, if that helps.
Tried another 4 plug IEM and same result. Only music from both buds around 270 degree and loses the other right one. It's always the right one.
Also, the mic is on the right for the A161p so I was able to test it out.
The mic works. So does the button.

So weird!
Seems like that the other ring of the NOTE II is kind of iffy. However, how come the S4i works at all angle then... man..

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #10,638 of 16,931
Quote:
That's weird - the newer Samsung phones use the standard CTIA plug, so the a161p should work fine but if you have issues use the adapter included in the package. That's the strong side of a161p - with the adapter it covers both CTIA and OMTP standards and works with everything from old Samsung phones to apple products.

Good point, forgot the A161 came with an adapter. 

Quote:
Here is headphonebar: http://www.headphonebar.com/

Bestbuy and future shop do not really carry too many iems here in Canada. They have the BnW C5, the new monster iem(DNA,N-ergy) and that's about it.

Not a great selection to be honest. The SE215 should be fine fine. Better than the C5 anyway. 

Quote:
So weird!
Seems like that the other ring of the NOTE II is kind of iffy. However, how come the S4i works at all angle then... man..

Ah, okay. If it's the S4i it will have the same plug configuration as the A161P. Seems odd. I would try the A161 with another smartphone/tablet if you have one to rule out issues with yours.

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #10,639 of 16,931
Quote:

Ah, okay. If it's the S4i it will have the same plug configuration as the A161P. Seems odd. I would try the A161 with another smartphone/tablet if you have one to rule out issues with yours.

Yea.. weird indeed.
Tried it with my tablet. Works fine. It seems like my note II's audio port is broken? But how come the S4i works fine, at all angles too?
Anyone got any ideas?

Going to see if Samsung can do anything for me....

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #10,640 of 16,931
Not a great selection to be honest. The SE215 should be fine fine. Better than the C5 anyway

I was browsing the deals thread recently and saw that the monster isport livestrong ear buds are $49 from the previous $179. Would these be an any good for my specific genres? I'm also thinking I should maybe look at headphones since the iems available to me are not quite meeting my needs.

Jun 16, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #10,641 of 16,931
Hey there msavic6, didn't want to respond to much in the deals thread as that is a bit against the rules of that thread.

you state you listen to mainly modern music and pop. Would that include hippop and dubstep? If so those are genres I do not listen to as I mostly listen to classic rock, jazz, Celtic music and accoustic. Also what volume do you listen at?

if your a low volume listener the Monster sport I mentioned is a great performer and would be a fun listen for you I think and has decent isolation and is very comfortable once you figure out inserting them.

If you listen at mid to loud volumes I think the Monster sport would be fatiguing and a bit shouty. If you like bass and also listen at louder volumes you might enjoy the new Westone ADV which is quite dark with monster bass and again is very comfortable. For me they are to dark and I have to listen at volume levels I am no longer comfortable with for longer listening sessions so I am going to either return mine or resell them for the loss price I take sending them back to the vendor. But for the genres you listen to they might be a perfect IEM choice for you.

Jun 16, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #10,642 of 16,931
Hey there msavic6, didn't want to respond to much in the deals thread as that is a bit against the rules of that thread.

you state you listen to mainly modern music and pop. Would that include hippop and dubstep? If so those are genres I do not listen to as I mostly listen to classic rock, jazz, Celtic music and accoustic. Also what volume do you listen at?

if your a low volume listener the Monster sport I mentioned is a great performer and would be a fun listen for you I think and has decent isolation and is very comfortable once you figure out inserting them.

If you listen at mid to loud volumes I think the Monster sport would be fatiguing and a bit shouty. If you like bass and also listen at louder volumes you might enjoy the new Westone ADV which is quite dark with monster bass and again is very comfortable. For me they are to dark and I have to listen at volume levels I am no longer comfortable with for longer listening sessions so I am going to either return mine or resell them for the loss price I take sending them back to the vendor. But for the genres you listen to they might be a perfect IEM choice for you.

I usually listen at relatively low volumes, 20-30% or so depending on my mood i will raise the volume a bit. Thanks for the suggestion and I will look into it a bit more. The enticing aspect of the monsters is the price point they are at, otherwise I probably would never even look at them. Regarding genres, I will listen to hip hop occasionally but dubstep is maybe a song here or there, over all the majority is pop, dance and electronic music.

Jun 16, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #10,643 of 16,931
Jump on the Monsters then. I think you will enjoy the heck out of them and you should be able to return them if you don't. They are a very good low/mid volume IEM.

Jun 16, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #10,644 of 16,931
kudos to you joker for the fantastic resource. your take on the se530, ex1000, fi ba ss and iq is so close to mine it's scary. it's so cool to come across a reviewer who hears alike. really looking forward to trying the k3003 based on your review. will you be reviewing the ie800? i'd be interested in what you think. should be giving it a try along with the k3003 this week. keep up the great work man. :)

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #10,645 of 16,931
Quote:

Hmm... most high-end BA monitors are worn cable-up. There's not much that's cable down. The HiFiMan RE262 comes to mind - it has been discontinued but you may still be able to find one used or even NOS.

OK I surrender, let it be OTE style.
wink.gif
  Which ones are similar to the Shure SE535?

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #10,646 of 16,931
Quote:
Yea.. weird indeed.
Tried it with my tablet. Works fine. It seems like my note II's audio port is broken? But how come the S4i works fine, at all angles too?
Anyone got any ideas?

Going to see if Samsung can do anything for me....

I'm out of ideas...

Quote:
I was browsing the deals thread recently and saw that the monster isport livestrong ear buds are $49 from the previous $179. Would these be an any good for my specific genres? I'm also thinking I should maybe look at headphones since the iems available to me are not quite meeting my needs.

I have no experience with any of the newer Monster IEMs. Seems there's been quite a few released in the past year or so.

Quote:
kudos to you joker for the fantastic resource. your take on the se530, ex1000, fi ba ss and iq is so close to mine it's scary. it's so cool to come across a reviewer who hears alike. really looking forward to trying the k3003 based on your review. will you be reviewing the ie800? i'd be interested in what you think. should be giving it a try along with the k3003 this week. keep up the great work man.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

I did review the IE 800 on InnerFidelity here. It will be added to this thread when I get a chance. Sound-wise I like it a little better than the Ultrasone IQ but still prefer the K3003. Usability-wise I think both the IQ and K3003 are a little better.

Quote:

OK I surrender, let it be OTE style.
wink.gif
  Which ones are similar to the Shure SE535?

The SE535... followed by the SE530

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #10,650 of 16,931
Quote:

Great
wink.gif
(I thought I could find something cheaper)

The Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3 reminded me of a cheaper, less capable SE530.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back