Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 15, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #10,621 of 16,931
Quote:
So If I am looking for a IEM with mic with good isolation
Which one would be the best under $150 range?
Been looking at the a161p, but the Phonak PFE 012 also looks great..

I listen to a wide range of music and like something that is a little bass strong.

Been using the nuforce ne6 for couple years, which I enjoyed. Recently, the right side died on me.

The NE-6 is more than a little bass strong. If you want that quantity of bass you'd probably be better off with a Shure SE215+mic cable. Much more user-friendly and better-isolating than the MH1C, though perhaps not an upgrade in sound quality. If you do want to try something a lot more accurate, the A161P would be good but it only has a few db of bass boost over something like an Ety ER4. 

Quote:
Wait, I thought Monster Turbine is like Beats, overpriced for performance (?)
blink.gif

Not as bad, and they've been known to go on sale (unlike beats).

Quote:
I mainly listen to pop, dance, hip hop and modern music and I would want an IEM that is fun sounding. I value isolation and comfort greatly so what IEM would fit my needs?

Yamaha EPH-100 is great if you have average-size (or larger) ear canals. Good isolation and the sound works well for modern music (e.g. EDM). 

Quote:
Discontinued but still available with the likes of amazon and earphonesolutions.  I guess what I'm after is a westone 2 with a little more thump in it (but not too much) if that makes sense.  The ue900 seems to be polarizing opinion and I've never liked swivel connecters after the se215's.

Cheers

Yeah, in that case you're better off with the W4.

Quote:
Joker
Sorry to harass you
wink.gif

Could you tell which ones of these 283 are closest to the Shure SE535 in terms of sound and SQ (I'd prefer straight down wear style)?

Hmm... most high-end BA monitors are worn cable-up. There's not much that's cable down. The HiFiMan RE262 comes to mind - it has been discontinued but you may still be able to find one used or even NOS.

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #10,625 of 16,931
Quote:
The bass (force?) is strong on the turbines, but I did find it swamped the details a bit.  I kept turning the volume up to compensate which led to a headache in the end.  If you want clarity I would pass.  I should add that this was out of the usual clip plus/ipod touch sources listening to rock and metal.

Cheers

Hmm I see. Thank you
Quote:
I haven't heard either 161 or the phonak but I recently heard my gf's NE-6 again and that thing is literally a bass cannon, a ton of quantity and impact but not flabby. What's shocking about it is that it doesn't sound dark or congested keeping good midrange and treble presence and a good soundstage. Really a unique sound if you ask me.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I don't think either of those choices will have nearly as much bass. If you want a similar sound but higher end, it might be a bit of a challenge.

FWIW, my gf likes my Sony XBA-4iP, which has a mic and 3 button remote. Kind of over your price range but you can probably find one for around $200 if you look hard enough. Worth looking into some reviews at least, if you want a similar enough but higher end sound that is. Maybe even the XBA-3iP that can be found cheaper but with a bit less bass and more balance overall probably.

Yea. Really liked the NE-6, although a little 'bass-y'.
I will look into the 4iP!
Quote:
Don't know about that review. Seems kind of BS. Haven't heard the Sony MH1C. Joker just reviewed, so might as well read the review.
If you don't want to go with Monster, then maybe go with Shure line ups. They follow a bassy, good mids, dark treble sound signature.
But I could be wrong. I haven't heard many of the low end models.

Yea. Was really interested in the MH1C after reading Joker's review.
Which shure do you suggest?
Quote:

The NE-6 is more than a little bass strong. If you want that quantity of bass you'd probably be better off with a Shure SE215+mic cable. Much more user-friendly and better-isolating than the MH1C, though perhaps not an upgrade in sound quality. If you do want to try something a lot more accurate, the A161P would be good but it only has a few db of bass boost over something like an Ety ER4. 

Not as bad, and they've been known to go on sale (unlike beats).

Hmm I see. I will give the A161P a try first then. Bought it yesterday for $90 tax in. Just kind of worried if it warrants such a price tag (never really spent more than $70 for IEMs...)
Mic cables. First time I actually heard of them lol.
Will give it a look.

Btw, is there any good MH1C tips? to improve isolation.
Cheers.

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #10,626 of 16,931
Quote:
I'm not good at describing with technical terminology but
I want tight bass that is not overpowering, mids that are clear and for treble, I'm not quite sure on my preference but overall I want the iems to be exciting and fun to listen too. I guess that means I don't want 100% balance in the sound.

I'm not sure then. Sorry.

Quote:
Yea. Was really interested in the MH1C after reading Joker's review.
Which shure do you suggest?

what joker suggested. SE215. That's seems to be in your price range.

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #10,627 of 16,931
Quote:
I'm not good at describing with technical terminology but
I want tight bass that is not overpowering, mids that are clear and for treble, I'm not quite sure on my preference but overall I want the iems to be exciting and fun to listen too. I guess that means I don't want 100% balance in the sound.

I still think the EPH-100 would be a good choice. 

Quote:
By any chance have you tried out the HiFiMan RE400, and if you have, how would you compare it to the Brainwavz B2 and MH1C?

RE-400 is review #2C54. It's nowhere near as bassy as the MH1C but not as analytical as the B2, with a bit more mid-bass and less treble sparkle. 

Quote:
Hmm I see. I will give the A161P a try first then. Bought it yesterday for $90 tax in. Just kind of worried if it warrants such a price tag (never really spent more than $70 for IEMs...)
Mic cables. First time I actually heard of them lol.
Will give it a look.

Btw, is there any good MH1C tips? to improve isolation.
Cheers.

Probably a good idea to try the A161P if you already bought it but don't expect much more than a 'reference' quantity of bass. The mic cable is a Shure thing - the SE215 doesn't come with a microphone so Shure sells a mic/remote accessory cable for it separately. Together with the mic cable it's still within your budget.

And, the MH1C stock tips are actually very nice. I didn't find any aftermarket ones that were an improvement. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #10,628 of 16,931
The A161P sounds great.

But, another problem came up. Darn.
There's only sound from the L bud, unless it's at certain angles while in the audio jack. Consider 360 degree, only about 270 degree where both buds work. This is the Samsung Galaxy Note II.
I then plugged the A161P into my computer. Works fine, all 360 degree.

So maybe it's a NOTE II problem. Nope (?)
Tried my Klipsch S4, and both sides work in any angle.
This is really weird...

Any suggestions?

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #10,629 of 16,931
As far as I can tell, no store carries the eph-100 near me and I will not purchase online so I guess eph-100 is out of the picking. Any other viable options that are available at headphone bar in Vancouver or like best buy/future shop?

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #10,630 of 16,931
Sony XBA-3iP was discontinued, could be found for under $100, probably still some around. I like these, do have bass presence requested. I have both the 161 and  the Phonak, really like them both but they aren't strong on bass (the Phonak has different filters that change the sound, gray is neutral, black is supposed to increase the bass, but I haven't tried the black filter). Fit/comfort on the Phonaks are better than any other iem I've tried, though. They disappear.

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #10,631 of 16,931
They ain't discontinued as of June 15 2013.
Look here
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666414113
Quote:
Sony XBA-3iP was discontinued, could be found for under $100, probably still some around. I like these, do have bass presence requested. I have both the 161 and  the Phonak, really like them both but they aren't strong on bass (the Phonak has different filters that change the sound, gray is neutral, black is supposed to increase the bass, but I haven't tried the black filter). Fit/comfort on the Phonaks are better than any other iem I've tried, though. They disappear.

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #10,632 of 16,931
Quote:
The A161P sounds great.

There's only sound from the L bud, unless it's at certain angles while in the audio jack. Consider 360 degree, only about 270 degree where both buds work. This is the Samsung Galaxy Note II.

This is really weird...

Any suggestions?

The S4 has a 3-pole plug. The A161P has a 4-pole plug. Some Samsung phones have had a problem with 4-pole Apple compatible plugs, though I am not sure of the Note II is among those.

Quote:
As far as I can tell, no store carries the eph-100 near me and I will not purchase online so I guess eph-100 is out of the picking. Any other viable options that are available at headphone bar in Vancouver or like best buy/future shop?

In that case you're better off listing what you have available to you. I, for one, have no idea what the headphone bar is, or what best buy carries in Canada. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #10,633 of 16,931
Quote:
The A161P sounds great.

This is really weird...

Any suggestions?

That's weird - the newer Samsung phones use the standard CTIA plug, so the a161p should work fine but if you have issues use the adapter included in the package. That's the strong side of a161p - with the adapter it covers both CTIA and OMTP standards and works with everything from old Samsung phones to apple products.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #10,634 of 16,931
In that case you're better off listing what you have available to you. I, for one, have no idea what the headphone bar is, or what best buy carries in Canada. 

Here is headphonebar: http://www.headphonebar.com/

Bestbuy and future shop do not really carry too many iems here in Canada. They have the BnW C5, the new monster iem(DNA,N-ergy) and that's about it.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #10,635 of 16,931
Quote:
Here is headphonebar: http://www.headphonebar.com/

Bestbuy and future shop do not really carry too many iems here in Canada. They have the BnW C5, the new monster iem(DNA,N-ergy) and that's about it.

buy online is the best way. Bestbuy/futureshop in Canada aren't the best when it comes to headphone/earphone selections and prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back