Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Feb 8, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #9,496 of 16,931
Quote:
I would go for the VSonic VC02. Review should be posted pretty soon. The R-20 and AM-90 are very decent but the Knowles SR armature generally doesn't have the best treble energy and is stronger in the midrange.  

Looking forward for that review! Went ahead and googled the VC02 and liked what I see. Nice that the cable detaches- If ever the cable needs to be replaced, where could I get a new one? - Is it like the Westone or TF10?
3mm micro driver- should mean it's light and compact. Bass still there though, right?

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #9,497 of 16,931
Quote:

I think they went a little too far with the whole small ears thing - all of the included tips are on the smaller side and the bi-flanges don't seal for me.

I'd have to agree. I remember they said it was for folks with small ears. Kind of limiting. I just got a seal with the doubles and good push. I played with other tips as well and nothing quite made them go. Seemed like they had more to offer and be really good but I couldn't find it. Just a nice option. They guy I gave them too really enjoys them. He's got small canals.
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #9,498 of 16,931
ljokerl thanks for the great and very comprehensive review.  I wanted to ask your advice or anyone else about what I should do regarding replacing/upgrading my current IEM's.  I am very inexperienced so please bear with me.  I currently have 2 sets of Audeo pf 112's.  I use one as a beater set and one that I try to keep nice.  My beater set is now not working correctly and I wanted to get a new set that I will use as my nice set.  I was about to order the the Audeo PFE 232's but I decided to do a little reasearch first, that is how I found your review.  I read some of the review mostly concentrating on the IEM's >$150. I like the fit and sound of the PFE 112's with the grey filter I also occasionally use the black filter.  That is why I wanted to order the PFE 232's but I was intrigued by the Hifiman 262's and as I scrolled down I also thought I might as well go all the way and possibly get the Miracle or the Spiral Ear.

I did have some questions.  I haven't used and amp before and I would prefer not to use one due to having another device and having to charge another item but if it will greatly improve my experience I am open to the idea.  The volume on my PFE 122's are adequate for me but I hear that an amp can improve the experience.  I will be using these on an iphone 4s 80% of the time.  I do not take care of my equipment very well so a robust design is important to me.  In your opinion what would you recommend?  Should I just go with a less expensive set, amp or no amp, if an amp what would you recommend? I can afford a higher end set but if it is just a waste of money I would prefer not to do it.  Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help you might provide.

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #9,499 of 16,931
Hi

Been a while since I posted as have been on quest for customs.  Been more of a pita than I thought it would be.

Anyway if this lot don't work out (and I'm hopeful) I'm going to be in the market for a top notch pair of iems once and for all.  Music is progressive/melodic rock (along with audiobooks).  Been thinking along the lines of either earsonics sm3 v2, Phonak Audeo pf 232 and Westone 4 or um3x (had the w3 which I liked but went through the wash).   Isolation is very important for me as I need these to block out the crap going on at work.  Also considering either of the two heir universals 3ai or 4ai, but don't think you've heard those.

Any other suggestions with good to great isolation (atm I'm using klipsch x10 but don't like the lack of durability)accepted!

Cheers

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #9,500 of 16,931
I would have added this to my original post but I am so new I can't edit.  I just saw on the Phonak website that the will no longer be making any IEM's, this removes the PFE 232's for me.  I can't see spending $500 on a product and not be assured of getting replacement parts, several years in the future.  Like I said earlier I have 2 PFE 122's so I do like their products so I am disappointed that they have decided to just concentrate on their hearing aid products.  I would like to add that I use the large silicone tips that come with the PFE 122's.  They seem to fit my ear better than any other silicone tip that I have tried (I will admit that I haven't tried many).  I was wondering if most tips fit most IEM's because I noticed in Joker's review of the PFE122's that he used another brands tip and got a better fit for his ears.  Specifically will the PFE tips fit the Hifiman RE262's.  I have ordered a set of RE262's but I am anxiously awaiting the review of the RE400's.  I am still thinking about a high end IEM that is custom so any help in that department would be appreciated.

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #9,501 of 16,931
Another post from me.  I am trying to get my post count up so I can access other features of this site.  Is their a good thread for a simpleton like me discussing lower priced portable amps.  I looked in that section but was a little overwhelmed.  Can anyone recommend a good starting point for someone looking for their first amp around $100?

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #9,502 of 16,931
Another post from me.  I am trying to get my post count up so I can access other features of this site.  Is their a good thread for a simpleton like me discussing lower priced portable amps.  I looked in that section but was a little overwhelmed.  Can anyone recommend a good starting point for someone looking for their first amp around $100?

C&C BH

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #9,504 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi

Been a while since I posted as have been on quest for customs.  Been more of a pita than I thought it would be.

Anyway if this lot don't work out (and I'm hopeful) I'm going to be in the market for a top notch pair of iems once and for all.  Music is progressive/melodic rock (along with audiobooks).  Been thinking along the lines of either earsonics sm3 v2, Phonak Audeo pf 232 and Westone 4 or um3x (had the w3 which I liked but went through the wash).   Isolation is very important for me as I need these to block out the crap going on at work.  Also considering either of the two heir universals 3ai or 4ai, but don't think you've heard those.

Any other suggestions with good to great isolation (atm I'm using klipsch x10 but don't like the lack of durability)accepted!

Cheers

What customs have you been looking at?  Just so I know what has been so much of a pita from your prospective about customs.  I am also thinking about customs and would like to know.  

Thanks, or as they say on your side of the pond Cheers

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #9,505 of 16,931
Thanks you have any recommendations about where to buy?  I saw a few on eBay but they all gave a disclaimer about shipping if the item was defective or under warranty.  Basically I was responsible fro shipping back and if after 10 days I would have to pay shipping to return as well.

Pollychen on eBay is where most of us have purchased from, transaction was excellent for me.

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #9,506 of 16,931
Quote:

Looking forward for that review! Went ahead and googled the VC02 and liked what I see. Nice that the cable detaches- If ever the cable needs to be replaced, where could I get a new one? - Is it like the Westone or TF10?
3mm micro driver- should mean it's light and compact. Bass still there though, right?

My custom cables seem to fit so anything Westone ES-compatible should work. Customs cables aren't perfect for these, though - the connectors are straight instead of angled. Maybe VSonic will make the stock cable available separately at some point. 

The bass is nice for a balanced-sounding earphone. I really don't have many complaints with these.

Quote:
ljokerl thanks for the great and very comprehensive review.  I wanted to ask your advice or anyone else about what I should do regarding replacing/upgrading my current IEM's.  I am very inexperienced so please bear with me.  I currently have 2 sets of Audeo pf 112's.  I use one as a beater set and one that I try to keep nice.  My beater set is now not working correctly and I wanted to get a new set that I will use as my nice set.  I was about to order the the Audeo PFE 232's but I decided to do a little reasearch first, that is how I found your review.  I read some of the review mostly concentrating on the IEM's >$150. I like the fit and sound of the PFE 112's with the grey filter I also occasionally use the black filter.  That is why I wanted to order the PFE 232's but I was intrigued by the Hifiman 262's and as I scrolled down I also thought I might as well go all the way and possibly get the Miracle or the Spiral Ear.

I did have some questions.  I haven't used and amp before and I would prefer not to use one due to having another device and having to charge another item but if it will greatly improve my experience I am open to the idea.  The volume on my PFE 122's are adequate for me but I hear that an amp can improve the experience.  I will be using these on an iphone 4s 80% of the time.  I do not take care of my equipment very well so a robust design is important to me.  In your opinion what would you recommend?  Should I just go with a less expensive set, amp or no amp, if an amp what would you recommend? I can afford a higher end set but if it is just a waste of money I would prefer not to do it.  Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help you might provide.

The iPhone 4S has very positive sound characteristics in my experience. I wouldn't shrug at using it to drive a top-tier earphone. However, I can't tell you if getting a high-end set as a daily beater is a "waste of money". Only you can make that decision. I will say that I have not been very careful with some of my customs just to see what would happen. I once got my Alclair Reference caught in door in a really bad way. The cable detached from both earpieces and from my mp3 player. Had to bend the cable pins back into place but other than that no permanent damage. 

If you're looking to stay reasonably close to the PFE 112 sound signature without spending a whole lot the ClearTuneMonitors CTM-200 might be an option - it's about as durable as any other custom would be and offers a reasonably balanced sound slightly focused on the midrange and treble.

Quote:
Hi

Cheers

The SM3 sounds very different from the PFE 232 so either you are open to all different sound signatures or aren't quite sure what you are after. I prefer the Phonaks for rock over the SM3 and UM3X, personally.  If you're focusing on similarly-priced customs, the Alclair Reference would be my pick - it has a somewhat similar signature to the 232 with some added bass punch and energetic, slightly hot treble. Keep in mind I only have a couple of entry-level customs and haven't heard things like the heir 3ai/4ai but I have compared the Alclairs and Phonaks at length and almost always ended up favoring the Reference. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #9,508 of 16,931
Mr. Joker - what is your recommendation for a Dual/Triple BA for mostly rock. I really like the deep punchy bass and mids yet clear crisp highs. I currently have the GR07 BE and will be getting the FX700 on your recommendation but would also like an upper end BA. I already have the X10 which I like when amped but looking for an upgrade to those. Would like be around $200-$250 range but can alter that if needed. I do not need the exact same sound signature as I do like to change things up but they just cannot be bass lacking or muddy/veiled highs. Thank you Sir.

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #9,509 of 16,931
Hi, excellent work on reviews.

I wanted to ask how would u compare soundmagic e10 to beyerdybamic dtx101e or brainwavs m4/m5?
How is the sound compared to these? Also would like to know if u have tried sony mh1c and tell hows the bass compared to soundmagic?
Looking to earphone with great bass, but also with clear and good sound

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #9,510 of 16,931
Quote:

The iPhone 4S has very positive sound characteristics in my experience. I wouldn't shrug at using it to drive a top-tier earphone. However, I can't tell you if getting a high-end set as a daily beater is a "waste of money". Only you can make that decision. I will say that I have not been very careful with some of my customs just to see what would happen. I once got my Alclair Reference caught in door in a really bad way. The cable detached from both earpieces and from my mp3 player. Had to bend the cable pins back into place but other than that no permanent damage. 

If you're looking to stay reasonably close to the PFE 112 sound signature without spending a whole lot the ClearTuneMonitors CTM-200 might be an option - it's about as durable as any other custom would be and offers a reasonably balanced sound slightly focused on the midrange and treble.

Thanks for responding Joker.  I wasn't very clear in my post so I will attempt to clarify.  I will be using my PFE 122's or the Hm RE 262's as the beater set but I was thinking about going the custom route for my nice set.  I don't want to go though the trouble of a custom just to get a mid level set.  I would prefer to go all the way, just from quick reading of this site and others I was thinking of the UM Miracle.  It seems like it is well balanced, (the detractors just have minor complaints and it is not an item where some hate it and some love it).  I personally prefer to spend the money up front and not spent the next 6 months worrying if I made the right choice and if another option would have been worth the money.  Let me know if you or anyone else has some advice for me.  

I have learned so much in the past 24 hours that I have been on this site.  Thanks to all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back