Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 5, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #9,256 of 16,931
Have there been any definitive reviews of the Brainwavz M3?  They look really good but I'm really pushing my budget at $90.  Astrotec AM-90 are more in my budget, but they don't look comfortable.  Deep ear insertion isn't working for me and I don't like too heavy bass.  My Shure SE215's sound fantastic but I can't wear them for more than a couple of hours without an earache (too heavy, too deep, I guess)

Joker, thanks for your advice and patience with all us newbies!  I really like this hobby but like a lot of us, I'm budget constrained and hate making the wrong decision!

JJ

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #9,257 of 16,931
Quote:

Sorry to bug 
tongue.gif
; is it worth getting Comply tips with the Soundmagic E10s?

And if so, the T400s (isolation), rather than the TS400s (comfort)?

And are the TX (isolation/comfort plus) worth the extra £5?

And if not, are there any other replacement tips worth getting?

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #9,260 of 16,931
Quote:
Sorry to bug 
tongue.gif

i use sony hybrids . they are just fine .

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #9,261 of 16,931
hi!
a few questions for you helpful guys... :)
i read in a Vsonic gro06 review that an impedance adapter + a little Fiio
would do good things to the earphones mentioned.
so first of all...what is an impedance adapter..? i didnt find anything that made sense..
and why would you need it if using an amp like Fiio?
and if using it + the amp, so basically the adapter connects
to the phone, then the adapter connects to the amp, *then* to the earphones?
also, would this adapter improve the sound of most IEM's?
and what about an amp?
thanks

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #9,262 of 16,931
ljokerl, what iems do you suggest for both gym and running? I want something that dont fall off and got good audio quality.

Apple controls will be a great welcome as well but not totally needed. iSport is $60(great discount), wondering if thats worth it or just get something cheaper. Thanks!

Oh and my vPulse Ill be sending to Velodyne soon(10 months old, starting to die), glad they are easy to contact with when it comes to warranty.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #9,263 of 16,931
Have there been any definitive reviews of the Brainwavz M3?  They look really good but I'm really pushing my budget at $90.  Astrotec AM-90 are more in my budget, but they don't look comfortable.  Deep ear insertion isn't working for me and I don't like too heavy bass.  My Shure SE215's sound fantastic but I can't wear them for more than a couple of hours without an earache (too heavy, too deep, I guess)

Joker, thanks for your advice and patience with all us newbies!  I really like this hobby but like a lot of us, I'm budget constrained and hate making the wrong decision!

JJ

M3 isnt worth to buy. I strongly suggest Sony MH1-C. Sound signature is like on se215, only more detail and refinement.

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #9,264 of 16,931
Ok I've finally made my decision. It's gonna be the Rockit R-50 and clip+ along with a 32GB card(not sure if clip+ supports 64gb) but i guess it should be enough to accomodate some of my FLAC albums. I intend to rockbox it :D

Btw any idea about the synergy of the clip+ with the R50? Or would a fuze/zip be better? I'm quite sure the sound signaure will fit me, being a neutral/analytical guy and my genres being rock, metal, classic.... Also I wear spectacles, will the memory cable intefere with the legs of my spectacles?

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #9,265 of 16,931
Quote:
Ok I've finally made my decision. It's gonna be the Rockit R-50 and clip+ along with a 32GB card(not sure if clip+ supports 64gb) but i guess it should be enough to accomodate some of my FLAC albums. I intend to rockbox it :D

Btw any idea about the synergy of the clip+ with the R50? Or would a fuze/zip be better? I'm quite sure the sound signaure will fit me, being a neutral/analytical guy and my genres being rock, metal, classic.... Also I wear spectacles, will the memory cable intefere with the legs of my spectacles?

I don't know about the sound signature differences between the zip/clip(+)/fuze, but my RE-ZERO and Ety HF3 sounds really good with the clip+. Since these two are balanced/analytical, I figured this would help with your decision. However, I feel that the RE-262 is missing something when I use my clip+ though...

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #9,266 of 16,931
Quote:
hi!
so first of all...what is an impedance adapter..? i didnt find anything that made sense..
and what about an amp?
thanks

It will not improve the sound of GR06, which have flat impedance curve. This applies to certain balanced armature IEMs with their impedance changing wildly depending on frequency.
Amplification will not help GR06 much, they're very easy to drive. Unless your source is full of crud, in which case a buffer might slightly clean it up.

Quote:
Damn, now I'm confused after reading some more reviews. I heard the RE0(currently $49) at head direct is quite similar to the ETY ER4S($250). But I'm looking for a portable rig and would prefer not to carry an amp with me.

Seems the RE0 seems an amp to meet the quality of sound I need(neutral and not warm). And only the mini3 would get me these and it's DIY :frowning2:

The fischer audio dba-02 are out of stock and unavailable at the moment.
R-50 seems a bit warm as well as the GR07.

Will a sansa fuze do? As the clip + seems to be underpowering to the re0(mentioned in kostalex review thread).

How will the HM601 pair with the re0?

Is it too quiet with Clip+? If not, then it's not underpowered. Granted, RE0 will strain some portable sources to the maximum capabilities.

I'd be loathe to recommend HM601 for anything, it is a flawed amp with major high end rolloff. It will destroy its airiness quality.

Brainwavz B2 is a direct equivalent of DBA-02 mkI. These do not sound that similar to RE0, but they're closer to ER4S... except that huge 4kHz peak.
There's also DBA-02 mkII, which has more bass, but dirtier. Neither of those matches RE0 quality actually to my ears - which only has "grainy" problems due to uneven signature, correctable with eq, and a slight bass drop. (which RE-ZERO lacks)
GR07 is indeed 3 dB too warm, but smoother. Unfortunately, it has major solitary 6.5kHz ringing, adds an annoying rough quality to the sound.

It's a hard task trying to find something that doesn't have ringing and sounds as neutral as ER4S or HF5, and doesn't lack bass impact. Even harder if it's to be inexpensive.

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #9,267 of 16,931
Don't you think the mids are more forward on the CAL which are much more similar to the M1s?

From mp4nation - Brainwavz M2. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #9,268 of 16,931
Quote:

JJ

I don't know what a definitive review is but I tried the M3 a while back. I did like the sound a lot but not so much the fit and wasn't sold on the overall value over the M1/M2.

The AM-90 is not bass heavy and if you don't like its fit there's always the similar-sounding Rock-It R-20 and MEElec A151 at similar prices (at least here in the US).

Quote:
Sorry to bug 
tongue.gif

I don't think the Tx does anything for isolation or comfort over the regular T and I'm not a huge fan of the spherical shape of the TS series. Honestly, I wouldn't bother with pricy foam tips for the E10 unless the stock silicone ones don't work for you.

Quote:
Joker, I still have the mh1c waiting for you, you said you weren't ready for them

Last I remember you'd started enjoying them
tongue.gif
. How is that going?

Quote:
hi!
and what about an amp?
thanks

Impedance - see AstralStorm's reply above. Most dynamics don't benefit from added impedance per se unless there are other factors in play. Balanced armatures are a different story, though. You can get the adapters for $18-25 on ebay. Just looks for "Ety P to S adapter" or something to that effect. The adapter would go on the earphone cable, no between the amp and source. 

Quote:
ljokerl, what iems do you suggest for both gym and running? I want something that dont fall off and got good audio quality.

Apple controls will be a great welcome as well but not totally needed. iSport is $60(great discount), wondering if thats worth it or just get something cheaper. Thanks!

Oh and my vPulse Ill be sending to Velodyne soon(10 months old, starting to die), glad they are easy to contact with when it comes to warranty.

I haven't tried a whole lot of sweat-rated IEMs. I would say get something disposable and toss it when it goes bad. Never heard the iSport or any of the Senn sports sets. 

Quote:

The Clip+ will be fine. I wear glasses on occasion and I've not had issues with any memory wire except for that used by Sony, which doesn't have that much memory and keeps getting in the way. 

Quote:

It will not improve the sound of GR06, which have flat impedance curve. This applies to certain balanced armature IEMs with their impedance changing wildly depending on frequency.
Amplification will not help GR06 much, they're very easy to drive. Unless your source is full of crud, in which case a buffer might slightly clean it up.

Exactly this. I would go so far as to say most dynamics have flat impedance curves and don't benefit from added inline resistance. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #9,269 of 16,931
Quote:
I don't think the Tx does anything for isolation or comfort over the regular T and I'm not a huge fan of the spherical shape of the TS series. Honestly, I wouldn't bother with pricy foam tips for the E10 unless the stock silicone ones don't work for you.

I'm glad you said that; my debit card has taken a hammering the last few days.

Thanks for the help.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #9,270 of 16,931
Hello mr. Joker - I am looking at getting some phones around the $150 range (maybe 2 sets, 1 for critical listening and 1 for pure fun). I am definitely a rock and roll guy with some pop and techno thrown in and like a v shape signature (own gr02 be, mtpg, x10, re0, mh1c) and gr02 be is currently my favorite set. Good bass with punch is a must and some sub bass (car stereo has 2 sealed 10s for punch) but most of the sets I have now do not have the very detailed highs (I like them crisp), better instrument separation and wider soundstage. IEMs on my short list right now are eph100, ba200 ( I know you have not reviewed them yet), gr07 be, t Peos h100, pfe112, re-262. Please let me know your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back