Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 2, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #9,211 of 16,931
On another thread I was recommended the VSonic VR06, but seemingly the only place to get them in the UK is from eBay, which I'd rather avoid. I was wondering if there were any other earphones around for about £50/60 (unfortunately that translates to about the same in $.. rip off! 
tongue.gif
)?

Here's the posts I made to narrow down a search:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here/1875#post_8966351
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here/2100#post_8994703

Basically; about £50/60 maybe more (or less) if they're really worth it... bang for the buck essentially,
an all rounder, mainly rock but pretty much anything,
good build quality, 
warm, forward and according to a glossary thread; lush, but not bass heavy that it takes over to the detriment of everything else,
good isolation and low leakage,
preferably worn straight down, though I can be convinced otherwise.
unamped, from a laptop and a Samsung P3, so nothing too taxing.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #9,212 of 16,931
Hello,

I'm looking a for a new set of IEM's. Mine broke with New years eve, so it's time to pick up a new set.

Previously I've owned a Klipsch S4, it was decent, but I found the bass too overwhelming and I had a hard time distinguishing between instruments.

I've been looking up some reviews and I found the following;

Head-direct RE0

Phonak Audeó 012/022

Beyerdynamic MMX 101ie

Etymotic Research MC5 / MC2 / MC3

I mainly listen to metal (Metallica, Megadeth etc), Blues (Stevie ray vaughn, Rory gallagher) and funk.

So overall I listen to a lot of guitar music.

Can someone help me out?

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #9,213 of 16,931
Quote:
On another thread I was recommended the VSonic VR06, but seemingly the only place to get them in the UK is from eBay, which I'd rather avoid. I was wondering if there were any other earphones around for about £50/60 (unfortunately that translates to about the same in $.. rip off! 
tongue.gif
)?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here/1875#post_8966351
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here/2100#post_8994703

Basically; about £50/60 maybe more (or less) if they're really worth it... bang for the buck essentially,
good build quality, 
warm, forward and according to a glossary thread; lush, but not bass heavy that it takes over to the detriment of everything else,

Avoiding ebay - maybe the soundmagic E10 - very good all around especially for rock. RE0 is very detailed but the bass is just too little for my liking.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #9,214 of 16,931
Hi.

I'm just wondering if you've had the chance to listen to the VSonic GR04s and if so, how do they compare to the GR06s. It seems there is a very divided opinion on the GR06s and many are preferring the GR02s over the GR06s.

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #9,215 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi.

I'm just wondering if you've had the chance to listen to the VSonic GR04s and if so, how do they compare to the GR06s. It seems there is a very divided opinion on the GR06s and many are preferring the GR02s over the GR06s.

Never heard the GR06, but the GR04 is awesome. It's much flatter than the GR02. The 50z GR04 Flagship (or pro, but NOT the classical) is amazing. It was once positioned in the lineup between the GR06 and the GR07, and if you look at the GR04 Flagship thread, compared quite well to the GR07, especially at its current $50 price point.

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #9,216 of 16,931
Quote:

TF10 responds quite well when amped, but equally awesome unamped

Also depends on the source when running unamped. Have to be wary of people trying to use non-Apple smartphones as sources these days. 

Quote:
tongue.gif
)?

good build quality, 

Don't know which of these are available to your outside of eBay but maybe the Brainwavz M2 or Dunu Trident would work in addition to the Soundmagic E10 recommended above.

Quote:
Hello,

I'm looking a for a new set of IEM's. Mine broke with New years eve, so it's time to pick up a new set.

Previously I've owned a Klipsch S4, it was decent, but I found the bass too overwhelming and I had a hard time distinguishing between instruments.

I've been looking up some reviews and I found the following;

Head-direct RE0

Phonak Audeó 012/022

Beyerdynamic MMX 101ie

Etymotic Research MC5 / MC2 / MC3

I mainly listen to metal (Metallica, Megadeth etc), Blues (Stevie ray vaughn, Rory gallagher) and funk.

So overall I listen to a lot of guitar music.

Can someone help me out?

The MMX101 is nearly as bass-heavy as the S4 so I would skip it. The RE0 and MC5 are on the other end of the spectrum and might be too big of a risk. The PFE 012 is in the safe zone between flat and bass-heavy, along with sets such as the Shure SE215 and HiSound Crystal. These are on the warm side but none of them are as bass-heavy as the Klipsch S4. I'd throw the Rock-It R-30 in that category as well as a great value at $70. It does guitars pretty well, as do the SE215 and Crystal.

Quote:
Hi.

The GR06 and GR02 pursue different sound signatures so it's easy to see someone preferring the GR02 over the GR06. I have not heard the GR04.

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #9,217 of 16,931
Quote:

Also depends on the source when running unamped. Have to be wary of people trying to use non-Apple smartphones as sources these days. 

will the c2 or j3 do it ?

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #9,218 of 16,931
Added ViSang VS-K1.

Quote:
(3A74) ViSang VS-K1

Added Jan 2013

Details: Compact metal-shelled earphone from ViSang
Current Price: $50 from ebay.com (MSRP: est. $49.99)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 32Ω | Sens: 115 dB | Freq: 20-20k Hz | Cable: 4.3' L-plug
Nozzle Size: 5.5mm | Preferred tips: Stock single-flanges, generic single-flanged
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (4/5) - Single-flange hybrid-style silicone tips (3 sizes), foam tips, shirt clip, and clamshell carrying case
Build Quality (4/5) – The VS-K1 features aluminum shells with metal nozzle filters. The cabling is identical to my older ViSang and Brainwavz models – internally braided and a little stiff. No cable cinch is present
Isolation (3/5) - Isolation is about average for a shallow-fit dynamic-driver earphone
Microphonics (4/5) – Present when worn cable-down; very low otherwise
Comfort (4/5) - The housings are compact and taper at the rear to provide a compliant, non-intrusive fit. The K1 is happy with a relatively shallow seal and can be worn over-the-ear easily

Sound (7.5/10) – The sound of ViSang’s latest and greatest harkens back to the R01, R02, and R03 models of old but provides a more mature and refined experience. The sound signature is reasonably balanced, with a slight mid-bass lift and mild treble roll-off. The bass has decent depth and good overall presence but the earphones are far from bass-heavy. They don’t have the bass boost of the old R03 model (perhaps better known by its Brainwavz M2 rebrand) but there is more body and fullness compared to the Brainwavz M1 and similarly-priced armature earphones such as the Astrotec AM-90. It’s not the tightest low end out there, but the control is respectable and the overall presentation will appeal to those who enjoy a softer, smoother sound.

The ViSang products of old--even the bass-heavy ones--have always had clean, articulate mids, and the VS-K1 is no exception. The midrange is prominent and the earphones could potentially be called mid-centric if not for the decent amount of bass. As is, the sound is rather well-balanced overall. There is no bass bleed; Brainwavz’ new M5 model is significantly bassier and more subdued in the midrange compared to the VS-K1. Clarity is good for the asking price – not quite up there with the armature-based Astrotec AM-90 or the thinner-sounding Brainwavz M1, but very close.

Starting with the upper midrange, the VS-K1 follows a smooth and forgiving approach reminiscent of the Brainwavz M5. The top end is laid-back but not enough so to make the earphones sound dark and lacking in balance. Sets such as the Astrotec AM-90 have more upper midrange presence and energy while the VS-K1 sounds more smooth and relaxed. This goes for the presentation as well – the VS-K1 is not as forward as the AM-90 or Brainwavz M1. It has very decent depth, which is noticeable next to the older ViSang R03/Brainwavz M2, but doesn’t sound as big and enveloping as the pricier VSonic GR06. Overall, the relaxed presentation fits the sound signature well.

Value (9/10) – The ViSang VS-K1 is a budget earphone that offers strong performance across the board. Fans of the older ViSang models will be pleased with the more mature sound and the smooth yet reasonably balanced tuning should appeal to an even wider audience. The solid construction and comfortable, shallow-fit housings round the VS-K1 out as an easy recommendation.

Pros: Solid construction, smooth sound
Cons: No cable cinch

Quote:

will the c2 or j3 do it ?

Not sure about the C2. The J3 is fine.

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #9,221 of 16,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not sure about the C2. The J3 is fine.

thnaks man , appreciated . and the new vs-k1 looks good . do the tf10 man .

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #9,222 of 16,931
Quote:
Whay about Earsonics SM64
confused_face_2.gif

Until you get a professional review from Mr. Portables Reviewerus Prolificus, you can read some of my first impressions here http://www.head-fi.org/t/640630/sm64-to-replace-sm3/30#post_9010398

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #9,224 of 16,931
ljokerl[size=medium] first let me congrat you for great thread. you help a lot of people here to found the best iem for them. for me the re262 is the best bang for buck and i enjoy quality of the best iem world has to offer in reasonable price. i dont think they fall a lot in quality from one thousand dollars [/size]
[size=medium]earphones. i understand that earphones like unique melody miracle and others high end IEM are the best in the market but most of people cant spend soo much money on iem. so for the re262 was the best solution to enjoy this world. before your thread i didnt know what to choose and didnt know a lot about iem. but after i read carefully your thread i enjoy them very much and didnt have regret at all. the re262 is superb for me and i suppuse to a lot of others. anyway i want to ask you if you can review the Sony MH1C (30-40$)  there are a lot of hype and a lot of people said they are awasome for their price[/size]

link!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634136/the-king-of-value-sony-mh1c-impressions-appreciations-thread

[size=medium]i really curious to see where they will place in the comprasion.[/size]

[size=medium]are you going to review them in the future?[/size]

if yes i cant wait for your review about them

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #9,225 of 16,931
Hey gus/girls,

Some basic info about me:
I'm more of a neutral/analytical guy.

I listen to rock, metal, pop, classic, reggae...in that order.
I don't wanna break the bank, so which one of these would suit me and the sansa clip+ best?

Etymotic Research HF5 w/ACS Tips, where I can buy the acs tips if i go for the etys?
Rock-it Sounds R-50, seems really promising
GR07 MKii
DBA 02 mkii, heard great things about it.
Sony EX600

Users who are viewing this thread

Back