Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 28, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #9,166 of 16,931
Yeah I know your scale isn't meant for that I'm just saying that at least for me I don't know if spending $1300 will justify the price vs SQ compared to the SM3.  I have become a mid junkie along with needing a spacious soundstage and I know the TG334 is excellent at thoughs things so I just don't know and spending that kind of money on an IEM I want to make darn sure its something that will give me a substantial up grade over the SM3 and by most accounts it seems like they would but its hard for me to pull the trigger on them because of the cost.  I'm sure I'll brake down and buy them sometime this coming year because they really seem like a great fit for the kind of sound signature I like but for now I'm extremely happy with the SM3's.

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #9,167 of 16,931
Quote:

Thanks for the reply

I have the following to choose from:

- Sennheiser CX200-II Street
- Sennheiser CX 275s In-Ear Headphones with Microphone, Black
- Sennheiser CX160 In-Ear Headphones, Black
- Sennheiser OMX185 Around-Ear Headphones, Black
- Sennheiser MX375 In-Ear Headphones, Black
- Sennheiser MX170 In-Ear Headphones, Black
- Philips SHE8000/10 In-Ear Headphones, Black
- Philips SHE8000WT In-Ear Headphones, White
- Philips SHE3590 In-Ear Headphones, White
- Philips SHQ4200/10 In-Ear Neckband Headphones, Red/Grey
- Philips SHE3590 In-Ear Headphones, Black

All are less than $30, which would you recommend?

Thanks again for your help

she 3590 will do good , cheap and up to the mark .

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #9,168 of 16,931
Quote:
Nuke70, I sent you a PM. Im letting go of my Yammies.
The TG334 is technically better but imo only 10% of it on regular usage or regular daps coz it scales better with good gears. You might be surprised if you compare it with W4. W4 also shines well with good gear. The TG334s also advantage is the build quality.

That's something I've been thinking about lately.
In your opinion, what would be a good gear for the W4? (I have a W4r and I certanly love them, but I would like to get the most out of them)

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #9,169 of 16,931
Quote:
Yeah I know your scale isn't meant for that I'm just saying that at least for me I don't know if spending $1300 will justify the price vs SQ compared to the SM3.  I have become a mid junkie along with needing a spacious soundstage and I know the TG334 is excellent at thoughs things so I just don't know and spending that kind of money on an IEM I want to make darn sure its something that will give me a substantial up grade over the SM3 and by most accounts it seems like they would but its hard for me to pull the trigger on them because of the cost.  I'm sure I'll brake down and buy them sometime this coming year because they really seem like a great fit for the kind of sound signature I like but for now I'm extremely happy with the SM3's.

I own those too. tg334 w/ 000 cables makes $1,700+

and all i can say is the sound is night and day difference for me in terms of soundstage, detail, transparency

the dynamics on these are crazy..

another thing to consider is the 1p2 hybrid by tralucent audio probably at $1,300++ too

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #9,171 of 16,931
Quote:
Nice thread. Do you plan to add the Philips SHE3580/SHE3590 and the Panasonic RP-HJE355? Thanks.

Btw. which forum engine is this? Not the best. :frowning2:

vbulletin

still much better than the free ones IMO

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #9,173 of 16,931
Hey Joker, I love your review (inspired me to get the RE-ZERO and RE-262). Can I please ask you to make a direct comparison between the RE-262 and Meelec A161p? I'm loving the mids, highs, and soundstage of the former, but my impressions with its subbass don't match with other people's impressions.

I got the RE-262 for $100 and will be receiving the A161 for $66, and I want to know which is the better value. This way, I don't have to return the 161 as open-box.

Very best. 

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #9,174 of 16,931
From personal test of RE-ZERO vs Fisher Audio SBA-03 (similar to A161p) at the shop:
- RE-ZERO is on average flatter, but SBA-03 has a singular large peak.
- RE-ZERO has quite a bit more bass impact.
- RE-ZERO has better dynamics, less distortion in bass and mids. Highs are comparable.
- RE-ZERO is way more responsive to equalization.
- SBA-03 is faster, like any nice BA. But not a whole lot. It's no TWFK or ER4S.
- SBA-03 is quite a bit warmer due to more midbass. No bleed.
- SBA-03 has atypical armature pattern ringing at 1, 3 and 5 kHz, but not huge. Much less than most other armatures.
- SBA-03 is less extended both ways.
- Fit is very comparable, but RE-ZERO are shorter.
- When playing overly loud, RE-ZERO becomes slightly shouty, while SBA-03 becomes way too ringy. (imagine dentist drill)

RE-262 is very similar to RE-ZERO, with some choking on bass and slightly more linear highest end. (It has less bass in general and less bass impact.)
It is shorter decay everywhere. RE-ZERO instead has some plate-like reverb sound (or bell-like) due to metal case.

To match RE-ZERO and RE-262, you'd need something more expensive in BA world. Perhaps VSonic GR01? (but I haven't heard it yet - it depends on how that TWFK was tuned and tamed)
Or maybe Phonak PFE121 (heard, would have to AB), PFE232 (haven't heard), ATH CK10 (haven't heard)...

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #9,176 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi Joker after thorough searching of earphones on the local stores in my area it appears the noticeable earphone i saw was klipsch image and dunu dn-19 tai chi though personally i dont like the look of overhead earphone what can you say between the two? Best Regards,

Which Klipsch Image? The X10 is pretty good if you're getting it for less than $150. Questionable durability but otherwise a good started earphone. The DN-19 is better-built and gives you some play with the sound (with the tuning ports) but it doesn't have the clarity and detail levels of the X10. It's pretty good overall, especially if you don't prioritize sound quality. 

Quote:

Thanks for the reply

I have the following to choose from:

- Sennheiser CX200-II Street
- Sennheiser CX 275s In-Ear Headphones with Microphone, Black
- Sennheiser CX160 In-Ear Headphones, Black
- Sennheiser OMX185 Around-Ear Headphones, Black
- Sennheiser MX375 In-Ear Headphones, Black
- Sennheiser MX170 In-Ear Headphones, Black
- Philips SHE8000/10 In-Ear Headphones, Black
- Philips SHE8000WT In-Ear Headphones, White
- Philips SHE3590 In-Ear Headphones, White
- Philips SHQ4200/10 In-Ear Neckband Headphones, Red/Grey
- Philips SHE3590 In-Ear Headphones, Black

All are less than $30, which would you recommend?

Thanks again for your help

I've heard almost none of those but I have no trouble recommending the SHE3590 (which should be the same as the SHE3850 I recommended originally). 

Quote:

It's not exactly a bargain, but then the very best never is.

Quote:
Nice thread. Do you plan to add the Philips SHE3580/SHE3590 and the Panasonic RP-HJE355? Thanks.

Btw. which forum engine is this? Not the best. :frowning2:

I have a SHE3580. I do plan to add it eventually. 

Quote:
Hey Joker, I love your review (inspired me to get the RE-ZERO and RE-262). Can I please ask you to make a direct comparison between the RE-262 and Meelec A161p? I'm loving the mids, highs, and soundstage of the former, but my impressions with its subbass don't match with other people's impressions.

I got the RE-262 for $100 and will be receiving the A161 for $66, and I want to know which is the better value. This way, I don't have to return the 161 as open-box.

Very best. 

Two pretty different earphones - if you like the smooth and laid-back nature of the RE262 you may not like the A161P much, but as with all things audio you won't really know until you try it, especially if you haven't heard a decent armature-based earphone before. The A161P has more treble energy and presence. It also has good bass depth for a single armature, I have no issues with its punch or extension. That said, it tends to be pretty forward and in-your-face compared to the 262/272. I imagine it will be pretty tempting to open it and try it anyway 
redface.gif

As for which is a better deal, they are both well-priced at their original prices and they are still equally well-priced with the proportionally lower pricing you got. The RE262 has been or is being discontinued, which is a shame. 

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #9,177 of 16,931
Hey joker, please can you compare the ue900, CT-200 and 1964 V3s? I really do like the idea of customs after having had a terrible time with the TF10s, and the CT200 and v3s seem the two logical choices.

Or any other suggestions under £300?

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #9,178 of 16,931
Thanks a lot, AstralStorm and joker, for the prompt responses. I find the RE-262's vocals to be pretty euphoric, so I guess I can deal with the slight lack of bass. Having said that, I'm not going to try the A161P, because I'll more than likely gift it to a metal/rock friend of mine.

Also, I've owned the Ety HF3 for a short while and liked them a lot, aside from their claustrophobic soundstage. I don't know if it counts as a "decent" BA IEM, but I think my RE-ZERO will serve me well enough to cover for the 262's shortcomings.

Therefore, I'm gonna return either 
beerchug.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #9,179 of 16,931
|Joker| -
I have but one question, which is not related to IEM's, but still relative.

After preparing all the concise but detailed reviews of what seems a gazillion IEMs, then answering a berrage of questions relating to those reviewed items.  How do you cram 48 hours into 24, and more importantly, do you ever sleep?

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #9,180 of 16,931
Hey Joker, I have a question about hifiman re262's. I will not be using an amp, but everyone says that you need one for these. Will they sound better or as good as some other choices in the price range, like turbine pro golds or EPH-100, considering I won't be using an amp? Just how much SQ do you loose if you don't use one? If the re262's are not better, what would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back