Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #9,136 of 16,931
I think Sony MDR-EX1000 is one of the biggest soundstage IEMS I have heard but my experience is limited
bigsmile_face.gif
,  with the appropiate music the soundstage is considerably bigger than the ATH-M50

The sound of the EX1000 is kind of bright  with very well controlled bass

In words of |joker|
Quote:

I don't think I've heard anything that sounds exactly like the EX1000 with more bass. The EX1000 has a very wide and open sound to it that most other in-ears can't really match. Maybe the FX700 if you are willing to give up a little of the soundstage and clarity. You could go the cheap way and try an EX600 or MDR-7550 equalized to your preferences. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #9,137 of 16,931
Quote:
Regarding the UE900 (1C19) how are they compared to the Shure SE535's?

Not that different overall. I think the UEs have a hair more bass and remain better textured and more natural-sounding down in the subbass region. However, the Shures are more even across the entire midrange whereas the UE900 dips down in the upper mids. Treble presence and extension is better with the UE900 and it sounds a bit more spacious and airy overall. 

Quote:
Also are the JH7 Pro gonna be reviewed? I want to see them compared to the 1964-V3.

No plans to review the 7

Quote:
Hey guys, Which earphones for the best out of ear headphone type sound?

Definitely the Sony EX1000, EX600, and MDR-7550. The Sennheiser IE8 is up there as well, along with a few of my customs.

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #9,139 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker how come you say the monster lil jamz are bright sounding when this graph suggests otherwise (er4s for reference) 

I don't review graphs. If you want to listen the Lil Jamz and tell me they sound smooth and lack treble presence, I'd maybe feel the need to explain myself. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #9,140 of 16,931
Monster likely has batch differences and you also have to account that perhaps that's a response from the reference plane which can't be achieved  due to the housing. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #9,141 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker how come you say the monster lil jamz are bright sounding when this graph suggests otherwise (er4s for reference) 
graphCompare.php

graphs dont speak the whole truth . they lie most of the time .

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #9,142 of 16,931
Lol...then I guess the data is made out of thin air. There are small details which would explain such things. At this rate I hope this thread just moves on.

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #9,143 of 16,931
Definitely the Sony EX1000, EX600, and MDR-7550. The Sennheiser IE8 is up there as well, along with a few of my customs.

I think Sony MDR-EX1000 is one of the biggest soundstage IEMS I have heard but my experience is limited :bigsmile_face: ,  with the appropiate music the soundstage is considerably bigger than the ATH-M50

The sound of the EX1000 is kind of bright  with very well controlled bass

In words of |joker|

In my experience, the following are the best:
Sennheiser IE8
Hifiman RE-ZERO
Etymotic ER4S

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #9,144 of 16,931
Quote:

I think you're better off trying the PFE 232 and figuring out which filter you like best first. I think you've got your filters backwards, too - the gray one is the one you'd probably want to compare to the K3003's treble+ setting. In any case the black filters really don't keep up with the K3003 - they sound consistently veiled in comparison and still have less bass impact and hotter treble.

Ok. I'm currently using FX700 EQing with treble boost with +2dB 4kHz, +5dB 8kHz and 16kHz. Without EQ, it's sounds a bit muffled. I can imagine it people would like this kind of signature when they listen to rock but that's not how I like it though. I want more treble. 
I thought the black filter of PFE 232 boost treble and bass while lessens midrange a bit?
So PFE 232 has more treble than K3003 with High Boost filter right?
I'll listen the bass myself once I get it. I'm pretty sure it's my first BA earphone.

Dec 26, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #9,145 of 16,931

I think the GR06 will be disappointing after the RE0 on the clarity front. The R-50 won't have a whole lot more bass overall though it is punchier. Really good all-rounder but perhaps a more drastic change would be better in your case. The GR07 has nice overall bass impact, good depth, and still maintains good clarity. The soundstage is wider compared to the RE0 but not as 3D as some of the higher-end sets. The treble would probably be less impressive than with the RE0 - not nearly as smooth and refined, though still crisp.  

Thanks for your help Joker. I've just checked the uk suppliers and I can get the Fischer DBA-02 mkii for the same price as the GR07. Should I go for that instead?

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #9,146 of 16,931
DBA-02 mkII is quite risky. My experience with these TWFKs was quite negative - for the price they're great, just not what I was looking for at all. Mostly due to that 4.5k ringing.
GR07 is a far safer choice with some 6k ringing, much less noticeable to my ear than TWFK's.

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #9,147 of 16,931
Hey ljokerl, I had some questions about the um3x, but first let me say thanks for making a great review thread. 

My question is would someone who disliked the mids on the w3 and image x10's also dislike the mids on the um3x?
Not quite sure what it is maybe they were to thick/warm sounding.  I'm currently using ba200's and mtpg's and like the mids
on these, especially the ba200. But they also have warm mids so I can't really place what I dislike about the w3/x10.

I am sending back my w3's and need to choose something else and from reviews it seems that the um3x is possibly
a good upgrade from the ba200, but I was worried the mids would be similar to the w3 or x10 in tone.  So should should I
get the um3x or should I look at something else (shure or phonak)?

Thanks

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #9,148 of 16,931
hello head-fi masters I'm a newbi here

I was going to buy my first ever IEM and im such an idiot in this kind of line.

I was gonna ask what to buy with my budget of 50-150$ also if possible could anyone direct me where audioshop i can avail it.

Best Regards,

PS:
Im from the Philippines.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #9,149 of 16,931
Quote:

I was gonna ask what to buy with my budget of 50-150$ also if possible could anyone direct me where audioshop i can avail it.

Best Regards,

PS:
Im from the Philippines.

Can you sort of give us a description of the sound your looking for, or what you'll be listening to? I would say the Yamaha EPH-100 would be a good all-rounder, but I only had it for a couple of days before my friend asked for it back.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #9,150 of 16,931
Quote:
Monster likely has batch differences and you also have to account that perhaps that's a response from the reference plane which can't be achieved  due to the housing. 

Could be. I am not bashing measurements at all - with the right compensation I think they can be very useful to those who are able to interpret them properly.  

Quote:

Ok. I'm currently using FX700 EQing with treble boost with +2dB 4kHz, +5dB 8kHz and 16kHz. Without EQ, it's sounds a bit muffled. I can imagine it people would like this kind of signature when they listen to rock but that's not how I like it though. I want more treble. 
I thought the black filter of PFE 232 boost treble and bass while lessens midrange a bit?
So PFE 232 has more treble than K3003 with High Boost filter right?
I'll listen the bass myself once I get it. I'm pretty sure it's my first BA earphone.

The effect of the black filter on treble energy with the PFE232 is pretty mild in my experience. The K3003 has a lot of treble but it's not as hot as that of the 232. 

Quote:
Thanks for your help Joker. I've just checked the uk suppliers and I can get the Fischer DBA-02 mkii for the same price as the GR07. Should I go for that instead?

Maybe but it's only slightly bassier than the R-50 but still doesn't have the deep bass power of the GR07. 

Quote:
DBA-02 mkII is quite risky. My experience with these TWFKs was quite negative - for the price they're great, just not what I was looking for at all. Mostly due to that 4.5k ringing.
GR07 is a far safer choice with some 6k ringing, much less noticeable to my ear than TWFK's.

This was not my experience with the DBA-02 mkII. I find it to be less bright than some of my other TWFKs (e.g. CK10, UE700, Phiaton PS200, and even stock R-50) and don't think it's fatiguing at reasonable volumes. The GR07 bothers me more. 

The R-50 with added impedance and triple-flange tips and the VSonic GR01 are also contenders for least annoying TWFK treble. 

Quote:
Hey ljokerl, I had some questions about the um3x, but first let me say thanks for making a great review thread. 

My question is would someone who disliked the mids on the w3 and image x10's also dislike the mids on the um3x?
Not quite sure what it is maybe they were to thick/warm sounding.  I'm currently using ba200's and mtpg's and like the mids
on these, especially the ba200. But they also have warm mids so I can't really place what I dislike about the w3/x10.

I am sending back my w3's and need to choose something else and from reviews it seems that the um3x is possibly
a good upgrade from the ba200, but I was worried the mids would be similar to the w3 or x10 in tone.  So should should I
get the um3x or should I look at something else (shure or phonak)?

Thanks

If you're worried about the thick/warm-sounding mids I would give the UM3X a pass. However, I didn't find the W3 to be particularly thick-sounding. On second thought, I think the W3 and X10 both lack the fluid presentation of the MTPG, which may be what's bothering you. I haven't tried the BA200 to confirm that that has the same characteristic. If that is indeed the case you may enjoy the Shure SE535 or something like a HiFiMan RE262/RE272 for the clean, liquid mids without heavy bass. 

Quote:

Best Regards,

PS:
Im from the Philippines.

Really depends on what you're looking for in terms of sound and other characteristics. Some solid options for a beginner might be the Yamaha EPH-100  JVC FXT90, Shure SE215, HiSoundAudio Crystal, or Dunu Tai Chi. Those are warmer-sounding earphones with slightly enhanced bass and should be beginner-friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back