Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #9,091 of 16,931
Joker, after 6 weeks.. I finally got my Vsonic GR07 Mkii..

Thanks a lot ^^ it really suits me well.. i have the right balance of sound, i can sleep well with it.. It really is comfortable.. I like the fit of the earphones.. Although they don't provide the hard shell case anymore.. The leather pouch with metal clasps that comes with it has a good quality.. I only got 50 hours of listening with it.. I don't believe in burn-in hence I think this will sound much like as it is today until it last.. I also find this extremely durable and of course coupled with proper handling..

I use them on everything.. It doesn't need much power to be driven right? Although is there any way to enhance how this sounds? Like amps? Dacs? I'm just wild guessing so please bare with me.. By the way thanks again for recommending me these pairs..

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #9,092 of 16,931

Thanks a lot ^^ it really suits me well.. i have the right balance of sound, i can sleep well with it.. It really is comfortable.. I like the fit of the earphones.. Although they don't provide the hard shell case anymore.. The leather pouch with metal clasps that comes with it has a good quality.. I only got 50 hours of listening with it.. I don't believe in burn-in hence I think this will sound much like as it is today until it last.. I also find this extremely durable and of course coupled with proper handling..

I use them on everything.. It doesn't need much power to be driven right? Although is there any way to enhance how this sounds? Like amps? Dacs? I'm just wild guessing so please bare with me.. By the way thanks again for recommending me these pairs..

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #9,093 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi joker your thread is awesome I have bought the ex1000 based on your review and I was very happy with them until they got in the washing machine
frown.gif

I loved the clarity and the soundstage but I would like a bit more bass (without interfering too much with the mids) keeping the soundstage and the clarity of the EX1000, soundstage and clarity are my priority I could live with the same bass of the EX1000 which IEM would you suggest?

Thanks a lot, you are doing an excellent job on this

I don't think I've heard anything that sounds exactly like the EX1000 with more bass. The EX1000 has a very wide and open sound to it that most other in-ears can't really match. Maybe the FX700 if you are willing to give up a little of the soundstage and clarity. You could go the cheap way and try an EX600 or MDR-7550 equalized to your preferences. 

Quote:
Hi Joker,

I own both Fisher Audio DBA-O2 mk2 and PFE 121.  I use them both with a JDS Labs O2 amp.  Source is Ipod Classic.  Material is mostly mp3 320 and above, and ALAC.

The DBA amazes with slightly better all round speed, and fast accurate bass.  It sounds aggressive - both mids and treble.  The PFE (with grey filters) is silky smooth in mids and treble, and its base a hair slower than the DBA.  I like the more analytical and aggressive sound of the DBA.

However, I am bothered by sibilance in the DBA which is completely absent in the PFE.  I have tried multiple tips (comply foam were surpsisingly not good at all).  Maybe it is due to some poorly mastered stuff which it doesn't tolerate, but it is quite bothersome, I need to use the EQ to tone it down.

The question is, would a RE-272 be a better option for my prefered sound signature ( paired with the O2 amp)?  I don't plan to move to a semi or fully balanced amp anytime soon.

Many thanks

The RE272 has very smooth treble, you won't get any sibilance with it. I prefer its midrange and treble to that of the DBA-02. Bass is kind of a wash, depending on what you prefer. Not sure how it pairs with the O2 but I'm sure someone has tried that combination. 

Quote:
Dude if u dnt mind? why dont u do a review on Sennheiser IE80 's and IE800s....

I didn't have all that much interest in the IE80. The IE800 review might still happen in the future but I'm not certain at this point.

Quote:
Without any doubt a noob question, but can you filter a bit of that sibilance out using rockbox?  

Depending on the cause of the sibilance it may be more or less effective but EQ should generally work. In my experience sibilance typically centers around 6k but peaks anywhere from 4k to 10k can result in bouts of it. Not sure how much play the rockbox EQ gives you these days.

Quote:

I think ljokerl is looking forward to review the IE800s and considering the IE8 and IE80 have the same drivers and similar build, I wouldn't think he would go the extra mile to do it. Don't get me wrong, I love my IE80s, but I just don't think it would be worth paying an extra $450 to review, and his current loan list is full.

Also, ljokerl, could you rate the Miracles on a scale of 10 for sound signature, 1 being flat, 5 being neutral/balanced, 10 being fun?

I don't think that scale makes sense...

To me the Miracle is very slightly laid back in the midrange but mostly very balanced and accurate. I think there is a hair more deep bass than a truly flat earphone (which may still be flat in the sense that it compensates for the ear's deep bass roll-off) but other than that no real deviations from what I would consider a reference sound.

Quote:

The GR07 is pretty good at sounding consistent across sources... I really doubt you'll get a lot of value out of adding an amp unless it colors the sound and moves the GR07 closer to your preferred signature. Of course it depends on your source - if you're using something subpar like a middle-of-the-road smartphone it's a different story.

That's too bad about the case... pouches are annoying.  

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #9,094 of 16,931
Sorry for being a bit confusing about the UM Miracle. Would you consider the Miracle neutral (boring like IERM), balanced (ES5) or fun (JH16). I am looking into the Miracles, but some say they seem to be a bit boring. Would it be more lively sounding compared to the 334 or V3?

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #9,095 of 16,931
The RE272 has very smooth treble, you won't get any sibilance with it. I prefer its midrange and treble to that of the DBA-02. Bass is kind of a wash, depending on what you prefer. Not sure how it pairs with the O2 but I'm sure someone has tried that combination.

Thanks for the above Joker - how does the bass compare on both?  Thanks

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #9,096 of 16,931
Quote:
Sorry for being a bit confusing about the UM Miracle. Would you consider the Miracle neutral (boring like IERM), balanced (ES5) or fun (JH16). I am looking into the Miracles, but some say they seem to be a bit boring. Would it be more lively sounding compared to the 334 or V3?

Again, the Miracle has a bit more bass and warmth than earphones that you usually see called "analytical" (e.g. the ER4S) but is mostly very balanced and neutral. If you consider that boring, then it will be boring to you. The 334 has stronger bass and more forward mids. It sounds more colored overall. The V3 is the most fun-sounding of the three. It seems to have less concern for accuracy and more for delivering the most visceral and lively musical experience. 

Quote:
Thanks for the above Joker - how does the bass compare on both?  Thanks

The DBA-02 is quick and punchy and seems to have more immediate impact. It has a touch more mid-bass while the RE272 is more linear but almost too soft and polite in bass presentation. I guess I shouldn't call it bass-light but it doesn't have the impact that many other in-ears can deliver. 

Dec 21, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #9,098 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi Joker,

I own both Fisher Audio DBA-O2 mk2 and PFE 121.  I use them both with a JDS Labs O2 amp.  Source is Ipod Classic.  Material is mostly mp3 320 and above, and ALAC.

The DBA amazes with slightly better all round speed, and fast accurate bass.  It sounds aggressive - both mids and treble.  The PFE (with grey filters) is silky smooth in mids and treble, and its base a hair slower than the DBA.  I like the more analytical and aggressive sound of the DBA.

However, I am bothered by sibilance in the DBA which is completely absent in the PFE.  I have tried multiple tips (comply foam were surpsisingly not good at all).  Maybe it is due to some poorly mastered stuff which it doesn't tolerate, but it is quite bothersome, I need to use the EQ to tone it down.

The question is, would a RE-272 be a better option for my prefered sound signature ( paired with the O2 amp)?  I don't plan to move to a semi or fully balanced amp anytime soon.

Many thanks

If your definition of accurate is DBA-02 mkII, then you haven't heard accurate bass yet. It has some weird decay, kind of a hash, in midbass. Subbass lacks impact a bit and is mostly heard, but it is quite a bit better than armatures of old. Heck, mkI/B2 has better bass handling with less of a midbass bump, but still not stellar.

If you're bothered about DBA's sibilance (or rather calling it straight, ringing), then RE-ZERO would be probably the best pick, barring that, RE-262 or maybe RE-272 indeed. If you manage to grab RE-ZERO and have a great fit, then you'll hear truly accurate bass. (262 is very slightly worse, 272 is choked) RE262/RE272 might be perhaps too smooth due to dips in 3-4k range.
The other near hits (GR07, EX1000) have sibilance issues.

The fully balanced thing is a joke with IEMs. You should never need that and the difference is none (via ABX here; tested on FiiO E17) vs a competent unbalanced output amp given a short lead cable.

One issue with Hifimans you might or might not run into is the cable, which for me hardens near the ear pieces - this is a critical flaw, as a brittle cable in this place will break sooner or later.
I'm looking for another IEM with nice fit and without this issue, dynamic driver - or some hardcore modder who can open and replace the cable with something more respectable, perhaps increasing "cup" damping with better foam (Comply) while doing so.

For me, the best RE fit is with reversed or trimmed small Comply T400. (perhaps small Ts400 would work too, need to order some more soon) The main issue of this fit is that comply cause midbass to elevate slightly.

Have a picture of a high accuracy eq of RE-ZERO with Comply T400 Small reversed, reference 500 Hz:

RE272 is very similar, but needs a few dB bass boost and more of a boost at 3k. RE-ZERO stays (almost completely) within +/-6 dB 25-16.5k.
The general signature stays close with silicones with more peaking at the highest end (not good), slightly more mids (not good) and slightly flatter midbass (ok).
Insertion depth is not critical, but the ear canal must not be stretched stiff.

For comparison, here's one for Brainwavz B2 with Comply P Slim (which is same as DBA-02, very similar to DBA-02 mkII), also reference 500 Hz:

This peak goes to -36 dB. (-12 dB vs reference.) Insertion depth is critical - shallower insertion exaggerates the peak further and adds weird peak/dip pairs in the highs.
Medium Comply T100 (such as included) sound very similar with tiny bit worse bass quality. Note that this bass cut is similar to RE272's, slightly less pronounced.

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #9,099 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi all,

Might buy Ety HF5 on the cheap from a friend because he's planning on upgrading. But before I do, what genres suit the HF5 well?

The sound of the HF5 is very nicely balanced, with no real faults. As such, there's really no genre it's inherently unsuitable for. The rest would depend on your sound preferences.  

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #9,100 of 16,931
Joker, you must be absolutely tireless. Long-time lurker here in nothing short of total awe for your contributions to Head-Fi.

I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs. Currently own some RE0 but finding them a bit thin and bass-lacking, as well as poorly spaced. Wanting something more well-rounded as I listen to downtempo, classical, jazz, dub/chillstep, house, acoustic, and more. Good soundstage and good separation would be nice - unfortunately, since the RE0, I seem to unfairly associate the term 'analytical' with 'lacking bass', but I don't think I would mind either analytical or slightly-warm as long as the bass was represented better than the HiFiMan.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the R-50, but was eyeing up the GR06 and GR07 before that. Can anyone help with my indecision? I'm having an aneurysm!

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #9,102 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker, you must be absolutely tireless. Long-time lurker here in nothing short of total awe for your contributions to Head-Fi.
I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs. Currently own some RE0 but finding them a bit thin and bass-lacking, as well as poorly spaced. Wanting something more well-rounded as I listen to downtempo, classical, jazz, dub/chillstep, house, acoustic, and more. Good soundstage and good separation would be nice - unfortunately, since the RE0, I seem to unfairly associate the term 'analytical' with 'lacking bass', but I don't think I would mind either analytical or slightly-warm as long as the bass was represented better than the HiFiMan.
At the moment I'm leaning towards the R-50, but was eyeing up the GR06 and GR07 before that. Can anyone help with my indecision? I'm having an aneurysm!

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

I think the GR06 will be disappointing after the RE0 on the clarity front. The R-50 won't have a whole lot more bass overall though it is punchier. Really good all-rounder but perhaps a more drastic change would be better in your case. The GR07 has nice overall bass impact, good depth, and still maintains good clarity. The soundstage is wider compared to the RE0 but not as 3D as some of the higher-end sets. The treble would probably be less impressive than with the RE0 - not nearly as smooth and refined, though still crisp.  

Quote:
HF5 is the weakest at genres requiring bass impact.

That's one way of putting it. However, just which genres require more bass impact than the HF5 provides will depend on who you ask.

Dec 22, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #9,103 of 16,931
I really do not know how to start this post? I must congratulate Joker on a supreme piece of work,which is mind boggling in it`s scope and incredible in it`s sheer detail
You must just love Audio in a way I can not begin to relate to?

I am very new really to the world of real Audio and quite old at 57,I have only ever put a toe in the water when it comes to my personal  Audio History and that was basically a disaster which was a very costly experience!
redface.gif

Now ill health is getting the better of me,and I am looking at a very compact Audio system based around a yet to be purchased IPAD I have a lot of high quality 24/96 Music Files and I suppose I will use spotify & Itunes (have never owned anything Apple before)

I suppose I will require a goood  DAC/AMP from IPad to Head/Ear phones;& if I can afford it a pair of Nice speakers?But I have not forgot that this superb thread is about earphones
and my question relates to two makes in particular :-

MEELECTONICS A161P 
ATOMIC FLOYD:frowning2:several Models stand out)

For some reason I started my quest looking for suitable ear/head phones and these two makes seemed to stand out + one or two of the KLIPSCH I am looking at maybe BLUETOOTH? but I do not wish to compromise sound quality because I may use Earphones for Skype e.t.c.I could probably get two seperate sets to cover all eventualities..

I listen to Led Zep/Pink Floyd and similar

Jusy wondered if you could give me some feedback on the above,it would certainly help me greatly

Best wishes & a Very~Happy~Christmas!

Steve
beerchug.gif

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #9,104 of 16,931
Quote:
I really do not know how to start this post? I must congratulate Joker on a supreme piece of work,which is mind boggling in it`s scope and incredible in it`s sheer detail
You must just love Audio in a way I can not begin to relate to?

I am very new really to the world of real Audio and quite old at 57,I have only ever put a toe in the water when it comes to my personal  Audio History and that was basically a disaster which was a very costly experience!
redface.gif

Now ill health is getting the better of me,and I am looking at a very compact Audio system based around a yet to be purchased IPAD I have a lot of high quality 24/96 Music Files and I suppose I will use spotify & Itunes (have never owned anything Apple before)

I suppose I will require a goood  DAC/AMP from IPad to Head/Ear phones;& if I can afford it a pair of Nice speakers?But I have not forgot that this superb thread is about earphones
and my question relates to two makes in particular :-

MEELECTONICS A161P 
ATOMIC FLOYD:frowning2:several Models stand out)

For some reason I started my quest looking for suitable ear/head phones and these two makes seemed to stand out + one or two of the KLIPSCH I am looking at maybe BLUETOOTH? but I do not wish to compromise sound quality because I may use Earphones for Skype e.t.c.I could probably get two seperate sets to cover all eventualities..

I listen to Led Zep/Pink Floyd and similar

Jusy wondered if you could give me some feedback on the above,it would certainly help me greatly

Best wishes & a Very~Happy~Christmas!

Steve
beerchug.gif

I've never heard an Atmoic Floyd product so I can't provide any feedback on how they compare to the A161P. The A161P sounds good with rock as long as your own preferences for sound lean towards accurate. There's no point in buying an amp for the A161P - efficiency is one of its strong suits and if you're willing to put down another $100 for a decent amp you may as well forget that and get a higher-end earphone instead. If you're buying a high-end DAC for the iPad to hook up to a higher-end speaker amp, that's a different story. Also, the A161P does have a mic for Skype, etc. If you need wireless, a second set is probably best. I don't have much experience with bluetooth sets but mine (a Sennheiser MM450) doesn't sound anywhere near as good as some similarly-priced wired sets. I am sure there is a lot of variation with bluetooth sets just as there is with wired ones and some of them are probably great. 

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #9,105 of 16,931
Hello
Really good of you to reply I know it was not exactly in tune with your superb thread but I really do need a lot of help to avoid the pitfalls of past mistakes!
redface.gif
 I only came across ATOMIC FLOYD a British company,I think both your good self and fellow members maybe interested in them they are very different,hope I am allowed to link to there web site?http://www.atomicfloyd.com/

I am not at all sure what the IPAD 4 is capable of music wise and just what I should add to make it rock?

Quote:
Also, the A161P does have a mic for Skype, etc. If you need wireless, a second set is probably best. I don't have much experience with bluetooth sets but mine (a Sennheiser MM450) doesn't sound anywhere near as good as some similarly-priced wired sets. I am sure there is a lot of variation with bluetooth sets just as there is with wired ones and some of them are probably great. 

I agree keep the two sets of Phones seperate is probably best,I am really open to any and all suggestions re- headphones and could even consider full size Phones to? but some of the SHURE`s.WESTONES e.t.c. sound(read superb!)

Quote:
The A161P sounds good with rock as long as your own preferences for sound lean towards accurate. There's no point in buying an amp for the A161P - efficiency is one of its strong suits and if you're willing to put down another $100 for a decent amp you may as well forget that and get a higher-end earphone instead. If you're buying a high-end DAC for the iPad to hook up to a higher-end speaker amp, that's a different story.

Very Good Advice most sensible,Not sure what to do about the higher end DAC & Higher End speaker amp? will take feedback and further suggestions on this,but the IPAD will be my only music source and I would like to get the best out of it I can musically,as I am sure you can understand.I have just started looking at some of these wired and bluetooth speakers like the well reviewed The Jawbone Jambox Range Speakers.

anyway once again many thanks

[size=18.399999618530273px]best wishes Steve[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back